Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory (S8E20) - "The Fortification Implementation" - 4/9/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 03:57 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
The Big Bang Theory (S8E20) - "The Fortification Implementation" - 4/9/15

WOLOWITZ IS SHOCKED WHEN A MAN CLAIMING TO BE HIS HALF-BROTHER SHOWS UP AT THE FRONT DOOR, ON "THE BIG BANG THEORY," THURSDAY, APRIL 9

Kevin Smith, Matt Bennett and Wil Wheaton Guest Star

"The Fortification Implementation" - When Sheldon and Amy build a blanket fort, they come to major crossroads in their relationship. Also, Wolowitz meets the half-brother he never knew he had, and when Penny is invited to appear on Wil Wheaton's podcast, she and Leonard have a huge, on-air argument, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, April 9 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network.
Old 04-09-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (S8E20) - "The Fortification Implementation" - 4/9/15

Kevin Smith?! I'm excited for tonights episode!
Old 04-09-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Penny & Leonard arguing with Will Wheaton involved? Isn't that how they broke up a few seasons ago? And blanket forts? Community Did It First!
Old 04-09-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Let's sit on the floor!"

Oh, I don't think that she means "sit." I think that she wants to do something involving lying down.

Why the hell wouldn't Leonard support Penny's decision? He worst that could happen is that she doesn't get the part and keeps working her other job and continues making money. If she does then she might actually finally be happy and have achieved what she wanted when she first came to California. You'd think that it'd be the good to support her within reason, and it's not like she wants to stop what she's doing and "follow her dreams" without any chance of success, she has a real job to fall back on. I don't see what his problem is. I need to sneak out and do something stupid.

"Now you're more mature than I am?" Well, as much as it sucks, someone has to be.

I think that at this point we can give up any hope of them ever hooking up Amy and Sheldon (as you kids say). That is the phrase, right?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 04-09-15 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-09-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So any guesses on how much Leonard and Penny actually make? I'd be curious to know...
Old 04-09-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
So any guesses on how much Leonard and Penny actually make? I'd be curious to know...
I know Pharma reps that make $120-150k here in oklahoma.
Old 04-09-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The Leonard/Penny argument was stupid, and just felt like rehashes of previous arguments they've had.
Old 04-10-15, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Why the hell wouldn't Leonard support Penny's decision? He worst that could happen is that she doesn't get the part and keeps working her other job and continues making money. If she does then she might actually finally be happy and have achieved what she wanted when she first came to California. You'd think that it'd be the good to support her within reason, and it's not like she wants to stop what she's doing and "follow her dreams" without any chance of success, she has a real job to fall back on. I don't see what his problem is. I need to sneak out and do something stupid.

The reasoning is probably that she has a good thing going, and if she gets the part and it doesn't lead to anything else. After filming the movie there may not be the good job to go back to.
Old 04-10-15, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcheckel
The reasoning is probably that she has a good thing going, and if she gets the part and it doesn't lead to anything else. After filming the movie there may not be the good job to go back to.
That is what his character basically said as the reasoning, and he does have a point. But the counter point made by Penny was pretty good as well.

I actually can see Sheldon giving in to coitus at a every emotional time just like how the make-out session happened. It will not be planned, it will just happen.
Old 04-10-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I actually can see Sheldon giving in to coitus at a very emotional time
Not based on the evidence of this week . But I don't know what it'd take to make him that emotional.

just like how the make-out session happened.
It was more like just a kiss.

It will not be planned, it will just happen.
That's what they all say .
Old 04-10-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was more like just a kiss.
A kiss is what you give your kid or grandma. That was a make-out.
Old 04-10-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
A kiss is what you give your kid or grandma. That was a make-out.
Well then you'd think that he'd at least be curious ...
Old 04-10-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well then you'd think that he'd at least be curious ...
Especially as a scientist. That's how they tried to get Sheldon to kiss Amy or influence him to have sex before, and I wouldn't be surprised if its used as a method again in the future.
Old 04-10-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Especially as a scientist. That's how they tried to get Sheldon to kiss Amy or influence him to have sex before, and I wouldn't be surprised if its used as a method again in the future.
Tried and failed. The kiss came when he wasn't thinking and acted on emotion alone.
Old 04-10-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... and as they very correctly pointed out in the show, it is just a Kevin Smith movie.
Old 04-10-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whatever. In the real world a shmoe like Leonard would drink Penny's bathwater if she gave you the time of day. And you'd certainly support anything she wanted to do lest she come to her senses.
Old 04-10-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The Leonard/Penny argument was stupid, and just felt like rehashes of previous arguments they've had.
Agreed. Leonard's insecurity is so tired and the argument is so old now.

Of course Leonard is worried about Penny making it as an actress - she would be away from him during long stretches of time and would meet tons of good looking guys - some of which she would make out with on film. In other words - she's only with Leonard because she just settled in her relationship and her job. In reality - even if she were still working at the Cheesecake Factory, she still wouldn't be with a geek like Leonard. Why would she?
Old 04-10-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I thought this was one of the better episodes in a while. For one thing, I loved the opening with just the four guys in the cafeteria. Reminds me of how fun it was when it was just them.

But the podcast with Wil Wheaton was the highlight. Wil himself was really funny, and the Kevin Smith stuff was great, especially since they made fun of him so much. He's always had a good sense of humor about that, and knows he's a hack filmmaker still riding on the laurels of one truly groundbreaking film.

and I really liked the argument with Penny. Someone who's career driven and stable would definitely have a problem with a significant other who drops a regular gig to go back to the tentative existence of pursuing a dream in the arts. They don't call 'em "starving artists" for nothing. Then the revelation that she makes more than he does. I never finished college, but have made a decent living anyway. I had a friend who was a PhD, and we had long disagreements about the necessity of not just college education but post-grad work. So it was interesting to find out that she made about 2/3 of what I did.
Old 04-11-15, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kevin Smith's voice almost sounded like someone doing a bad Kevin Smith impression. Though that's basically what he's become at his point.

Yeah, Sheldon apparently has no sex drive at all. Must be very odd. Kind of fascinating from an evolutionary standpoint though. Anyhow, that totally sounds like the kind of thing they'll play one day: Sheldon kisses Amy at her insistence, finds that he like a little bit and....
Old 04-11-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Liked everything (albeit retreads from other shows) but the Howard nonsense.

Smith hating Wheaton, while funny, was straight out of the Michael Scott & Toby playbook. Loved Penny's apology to the fan... "I apologize for the first viewing but the rest are on you."

Like mentioned, the blanket fort was fun but already done better on Community.
Old 04-11-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would be funny if Kaley Cuoco does get a role in Clerks 3 & they had a plot point of Penny getting the role. Like some sort of meta thing of when watching Clerks 3, that is Penny there playing the role & not Kaley Cuoco.
Old 04-11-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I still like Kevin Smith and enjoyed his dialog on the show, but it sounded weird like he was yelling or something.
Old 04-12-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
and I really liked the argument with Penny. Someone who's career driven and stable would definitely have a problem with a significant other who drops a regular gig to go back to the tentative existence of pursuing a dream in the arts. They don't call 'em "starving artists" for nothing. Then the revelation that she makes more than he does. I never finished college, but have made a decent living anyway. I had a friend who was a PhD, and we had long disagreements about the necessity of not just college education but post-grad work. So it was interesting to find out that she made about 2/3 of what I did.
But it's a sales job. All she would have to do is go to another company after the movie bombs, shake her tits, and she's back in business.
Old 04-12-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have often wondered how people in the business sustain themselves between jobs when thy work every few years.

Originally Posted by Jason
But it's a sales job. All she would have to do is go to another company after the movie bombs, shake her tits, and she's back in business.
They basically implied that that's how she gets things.
Old 04-12-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Exactly. It's not like pharmaceutical rep jobs are scarce. You probably see a half dozen new drugs in commercials every month. Someone has to push that shit.