Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrow (S3E18) -- "Public Enemy" -- 4/1/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Arrow (S3E18) -- "Public Enemy" -- 4/1/15

"Public Enemy" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

DONNA SMOAK RETURNS - During an attack on the mayor's office, Ray (Brandon Routh) is critically injured. Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) is pleasantly surprised when her mother, Donna Smoak (guest star Charlotte Ross), shows up at the hospital to offer her support. With the SCPD out in full force looking for the assailant, Oliver (Stephen Amell) and his team work hard to stay one step ahead of the police to find the man responsible. However, things come to a head when Ra's al Ghul (guest star Matt Nable) kidnaps Captain Lance (Paul Blackthorne). Dwight Little directed the episode written by Marc Guggenheim & Wendy Mericle (#318). Original airdate 4/1/2015.

Episode 18 of 23

Next week is a repeat
Old 04-01-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Arrow (S3E18) -- "Public Enemy" -- 4/1/15

Funny how they they are using the same distraction technique to get them to believe that Oliver is not Arrow.
Old 04-01-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the best episodes this season.

FYI, looks like Arrow & The Flash are out of sync.
Old 04-01-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

So Lance doesn't question the motive of Ra's at all, huh?
Gee. Why did the leader of the League of Assassins kidnap me to tell me Oliver is the Arrow. Just being helpful?
Old 04-02-15, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

God Damn that was a good episode. It reminded me of the "Over the Edge" episode of Batman: The Animated Series (Batgirl dies and Commissioner Gordon goes after Batman).
Old 04-02-15, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It was one of the better episodes this season. I think they will permanently out Oliver Queen as Green Arrow this season.

I've also decided Ollie won't get his mojo back until they give him the stylized goatee and full quiver. The current stubble is not cutting it.

Old 04-02-15, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Looks like the days of Ollie having a secret identity is officially over. I can't see him or Lance letting Roy take the heat.
Old 04-02-15, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

I wonder those nanites Felicity injected into Ray will give him shrinking powers later on.
Old 04-02-15, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel
I wonder those nanites Felicity injected into Ray will give him shrinking powers later on.
I can't believe that did not dawn on me the second they talked about it. Normally that would have been a punch to the face.
Old 04-02-15, 12:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Looks like the days of Ollie having a secret identity is officially over. I can't see him or Lance letting Roy take the heat.
I wonder if the events on the Flash will impact the Arrow-verse. If Flash affects the timeline that could bring back Black Canary and the reveal of Oliver might not happen. We know Caity Lotz is in the spin-off show, so maybe that's how they'll deal with it
Old 04-02-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
I wonder if the events on the Flash will impact the Arrow-verse. If Flash affects the timeline that could bring back Black Canary and the reveal of Oliver might not happen. We know Caity Lotz is in the spin-off show, so maybe that's how they'll deal with it
That's what I'm thinking. The shows are too interconnected for that not to be the case. That might also be a way to keep
Spoiler:
Tom Cavanagh (as the real Harrison Wells)
on The Flash once Barry retconns everything.
Old 04-02-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Teaser for the remaining 5 episodes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WFk7uixvN9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-02-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Despite an awesome second season, season 3 has been a hot mess. Hopefully they managed to end it with a bang and get back on track in season 4.
Old 04-02-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Despite an awesome second season, season 3 has been a hot mess. Hopefully they managed to end it with a bang and get back on track in season 4.
And by hot mess you mean poorly written and scripted? I would agree with that observation, it's been a setback after the incredible season two when Oliver had to confront Deathstroke. The first third got bogged down by credibly turning Laurel into the Black Canary and I don't think anyone was happy with how Oliver survived his death.
Old 04-02-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
shadoe! identical twins! that is how they get caity lotz back. either a daughter the lance's gave up for adoption, or a clone made from DNA Nyssa harvested somehow.

why do they even bother taking laurel anywhere, she is useless in a fight except as fist fodder. hell she is such a punching bag, her superhero name might as well be Everlast. At least roy managed to beat on some league tomato cans.

i am curious to see how the show carries on with everyone knowing oliver is the arrow. he would cease to have a public life, everyone would be asking him for help on something or gun thugs trying to kill him and taking out bystanders. since they are fine deux ex machina-ing him back to life, maybe they hit some sort of reset button on reality.

great action show, starting to get silly otherwise. will still watch until the wheels come off.
Old 04-02-15, 11:05 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

All of a sudden Laurel is an awesome fighter? Even with the training she's getting she shouldn't be so advanced so fast.

Yeah, shrunken nanobots injected into Ray Palmer's blood. How subtle.
Old 04-02-15, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
And by hot mess you mean poorly written and scripted?
Yes, that is what I meant. Am I correct to assume that I misused the expression "hot mess"?

I would agree with that observation, it's been a setback after the incredible season two when Oliver had to confront Deathstroke. The first third got bogged down by credibly turning Laurel into the Black Canary and I don't think anyone was happy with how Oliver survived his death.
Not only that but the flashbacks have been completely pointless (and they were so perfectly integrated in season 2). Tonight may have been the second time a flashback related to the main arc (the last time was when Oliver and Maseo were hunting for that drug that Malcolm used on Thea) and it was just so Oliver could quote Shadow's twin.
Old 04-02-15, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
All of a sudden Laurel is an awesome fighter? Even with the training she's getting she shouldn't be so advanced so fast.
Same bullshit happened with Thea when Malcolm started training her.
Old 04-03-15, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yes, that is what I meant. Am I correct to assume that I misused the expression "hot mess"?
No, it was a figure of speech by me intended for dramatic emphasis. After telling everyone I could last year that Arrow was the best superhero show on television, season three has been a disappointment. It's still more enjoyable than Agents of SHIELD.
Old 04-03-15, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

No, it was a figure of speech by me intended for dramatic emphasis. After telling everyone I could last year that Arrow was the best superhero show on television, season three has been a disappointment. It's still more enjoyable than Agents of SHIELD.
23 episodes a year is too much for a serialized show. In three seasons of Arrow, that is 7 more episodes of Breaking Bad's entire run, and what is planned for the ENTIRE GOT series. To maintain a tight narrative structure and high narrative quality over so many episodes is way too difficult unless it is meticulously planned beforehand and Arrow is not. So they wind up recycling plot concepts and coming up with narratives that take several episodes just to loop back on itself. That is what is happening with Arrow.
Old 04-03-15, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by johnnysd
23 episodes a year is too much for a serialized show. In three seasons of Arrow, that is 7 more episodes of Breaking Bad's entire run, and what is planned for the ENTIRE GOT series. To maintain a tight narrative structure and high narrative quality over so many episodes is way too difficult unless it is meticulously planned beforehand and Arrow is not. So they wind up recycling plot concepts and coming up with narratives that take several episodes just to loop back on itself. That is what is happening with Arrow.
Which is why you write five or six standalone episodes before the season begins that could fit anywhere between the 16 heavily serialized episodes needed over the season. Hand the standalone episodes off to junior producers/writers and let the showrunner worry about the tighter continuity of the other 16 episodes. An episode with all flashbacks could fit anywhere in a season of Arrow.
Old 04-06-15, 03:21 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I groaned when they were talking about Oliver getting out of the city

All transport covered

HELLO ! one call to Barry Allen and Oliver could have been anywhere in the USA within minutes !
Old 04-06-15, 03:27 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

and the Det Lance character turnaround is pathetic and unrealistic
Old 04-06-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoilers galore (and clarification about the pronunciation of Ra's Al Ghul).

Spoiler:

Arrow and Flash NEWS: Canary Cry, Wally West, HIVE, Killer Frost, spinoff news and MORE! Breakdown HERE!

While not quite as extensive as the news offered at the Paleyfest Panels for Arrow and The Flash quite some time ago, this weekend's Wondercon gave us some pretty big bomshells too- and where Paleyfest was far more Arrow-oriented in terms of big news, we've only really got big Flash stuff so far from here.

Not only did they open with trailers which I will get to do more breakdowns on (here's an extensive Flash trailer breakdown, and a brand new Arrow one here based on all those tiny details in their newest trailers), some big character developments were announced, and, unlike at Paleyfest, some spinoff news was thankfully bestowed on us. Here are the biggest, what I deem most important bits of news from Wondercon.

The Canary Cry IS coming!

As in the kind that can make Superman's ears bleed. While both Sara and Laurel Lance employ sonic devices capable of shattering windows and incapacitating opponents (still in a pretty awesome fashion, as seen below) but there's something fans of Black Canary will love even more on the way.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/irjjt24u194?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We found out in the above mentioned Paleyfest Promo that Laurel would be spending time with Cisco, and this week we found out both her and Detective (Captain) Lance will appear in Starling City (but still on The Flash) in Episode 20 "Who is Harrison Wells?" where Laurel will ask Cisco for a favour. Andrew Kreisberg, executive producer of The Flash and Arrow, confirmed that the favour will be greater Canary Cry tech. So don't expect an actual metahuman cry- but expect something much more akin to it from the comics. Also expect Laurel and Cisco to be "one of the most fun stories" on the show yet.

We'll see Killer Frost "sooner than we think."

Keeping with the awesome female characters, focus shifted from a hero to a villainess- namely Killer Frost, enemy of Firestorm, and whose real name is Caitlin Snow. While she is cuddly and warm in the show at the moment, and without a doubt probably the nicest and most lovable character on it, that will take a dramatic turn eventually, when she inevitably takes on her villainous persona. Frost is often a more tragic villain than not, however, who merely needs heat to survive, and the best way to get it is to sap it from Firestorm.

At Paleyfest we were told not to expect her nor Vibe until after this season, but that was altered slightly today. Danielle Panabaker, who plays her, told us "“You’re going to see her sooner than you think.” While set photos have hinted at a wedding between certain characters, I believe some alternate timeline trickery such as in Flashpoint could give us our first glimpse at her before she becomes Killer Frost in the show's normal continuity. Using one word to describe Caitlin by the end of the season, we got one ominous "frosty."

Wally West "wouldn't be surprising for Season 2."

We heard similar at Paleyfest in relation to a Kid Flash appearance, as either Bart Allen or Wally West, but Andrew Kreisberg said today that Wally West seemed a likely candidate for next season. Given the show's roots in the New 52, and the current West family, the New 52 version of the character should be expected, but we won't know until we see him!

H.I.V.E will definitely play in big next season of Arrow!

Way back in season two of Arrow Deadshot mentioned H.I.V.E being the "alias" for the ones who contracted his brother's assassination. In flashbacks this season we saw them a little more closely in the form of a mysterious woman representing them hiring Deadshot's services. She told him that she was "merely a drone. A piece of a larger entity. We exist as one organism."

Diggle is confirmed to have a much bigger role in season four- breathe now if you thought he might die- which will accordingly be linked to HIVE, who, accordingly, will be linked to the season's 'big bad.' We still have no real confirmation on who they are yet.

The alternate timeline from Out of Time will be revisited, as will earlier events!

And, what's more interesting, the characters will learn what their futures were destined to be. It's a fair bet that relatively soon Harrison Wells' identity will be exposed in the current continuity as well, but seeing this will be a lot of fun.

On top of that, flashbacks cataloging a range of characters while Barry was in his nine month coma will also delve into who these characters are and what Barry means to them, giving them all mini origins which can and will be expanded on upon later. That'll be a lot of fun. Also, Cisco's Vibe-esque goggles we saw in earlier promos will likely be the key to visiting these alternate timelines.

"Raysh" al Ghul or "Raz" al Ghul?

While some fans have been saying this for a while (and yes, by some I mean me mainly, because I'm self absorbed and positively leaping at the opportunity to say I told you so!) the show pronounces the name both ways very deliberately. While comic and animated fans are more inclined to go with "Raysh," those introduced to the character through Christopher Nolan say "Raz."

The show couldn't alienate either group. So, to pay homage to that indecisiveness, Kreisberg said, they have characters like Nyssa and Ra's himself, who are really the most qualified, pronounce it "Raysh," while others say "Raz." Oddly, as I learned this year, neither are strictly correct in Arabic, with the correct pronunciation there technically being akin to "Ra-ha-s." But it's complicated enough already, don't you think?

A look at an expanding rogues gallery, a tease at Season 2's big bad.

We certainly haven't been deprived of villains this season, with just about all of the Rogues assembled, but Kreisberg confirmed the likes of Mirror Master and Doctor Alchemy, iconic Flash rogues, are both lined up for season two. The big bad is someone which he hopes will "blow people away" and surprise us.

My speculation as to a big villain who could be the season villain that fits that description includes Grodd, who we'll see more of later this season, and Killer Frost. There's a lot more to choose from, but they're my big two candidates- I'd be interested to hear your's below.

Some spinoff news and other interesting things!

We've learned a fair bit about the new spinoff and its cast, but we learned even more today. It'll be completely "off the rails" and feel like a "crossover every week," and given Flash VS Arrow and The Brave and the Bold are among both show's highest rated episodes, that really can't be a bad thing.

We also learned from Stephen Amell that an Arrow character is set up to be the glue between all three shows, and sort of "hover" between them. That role is already being somewhat fulfilled by Felicity Smoak, and, given her ties to Ray Palmer, I wouldn't be surprised if she became that character. He also confirmed he "imagined he'll be appearing in all three series," lending support to the popular notion that both The Flash and Arrow will appear in the new show's pilot, destined for the midseason- the start of Season 2 and 4 for each show respectively will work to set up the spinoff.

That's the big stuff! We also got confirmation that Episode 20 will be called "The Trap," and Episode 21 will be called "Grodd Lives." Given its proximity to the finale, I'd say that's even more supporting that Grodd will be the big villain for season two, but we'll have to wait and see! Let me know your thoughts in the comments, and thanks for reading! If you've got time and enjoyed this post, be sure to have a look at my Flash trailer breakdown, and my Arrow one which will be up soon! Have a great week, Flarrow fans!