Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments (Freeform) - Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 02:45 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments (Freeform) - Series Thread

Shadowhunters, the TV series based on Cassandra Clare’s YA fantasy book series The Mortal Instruments, has found a U.S. home: ABC Family has acquired rights to the series, a spinoff of the 2013 feature film The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones. The project officially was announced at Mipcom last fall, when the film’s producer Constantin Film revealed the TV plans and tapped veteran writer/executive producer Ed Decter as showrunner.

With a U.S. outlet locked, Shadowhunters will go into production in May in Toronto. Based on Clare’s bestsellers, the series will reboot the chronicle of the Shadowhunters led by Clary Fray and Jace Wayland in one-hour episodes beginning with the first book, City Of Bones, and expanding into later books as the series progresses. No cast has been set.

“Shadowhunters is a big epic saga that will resonate with viewers who come to ABC Family for the Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and Twilight franchises,” said Ascheim. “A New York Times bestseller for 122 consecutive weeks, with over 35 million copies in print worldwide, Shadowhunters is the perfect story to share with our audience.”

Screen Gems released the City Of Bones movie with franchise intentions in August 2013. But despite the books’ devoted following the pic made just $31.2M domestically and about $90M globally. Constantin said it would go ahead with a second pic, City Of Ashes, which was set to being principal photography in September 2013. But that date was scrapped to “reposition the film in the current market place,” and now the series looks like it will get first position with its May shooting date.
http://deadline.com/2015/03/shadowhu...ts-1201401266/
Old 01-12-16, 05:29 AM

Re: Shadowhunters - The Mortal Instruments spinoff coming to ABC Family

ALL THE LEGENDS ARE TRUE IN THE ABC FAMILY SERIES PREMIERE OF "SHADOWHUNTERS" ON TUESDAY, JANUARY 12TH AT 9:00 - 10:00 P.M., EST/PST

New York, NY (Nov. 30, 2015) - One young woman realizes how dark the city can really be when she learns the truth about her past in the series premiere of "Shadowhunters" on Tuesday, January 12th at 9:00 - 10:00 p.m., EST/PST. ABC Family is becoming Freeform in January 2016.

Based on the bestselling young adult fantasy book series The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare, "Shadowhunters" follows Clary Fray, who finds out on her birthday that she is not who she thinks she is but rather comes from a long line of Shadowhunters - human-angel hybrids who hunt down demons. Now thrown into the world of demon hunting after her mother is kidnapped, Clary must rely on the mysterious Jace and his fellow Shadowhunters Isabelle and Alec to navigate this new dark world. With her best friend, Simon, in tow, Clary must now live among faeries, warlocks, vampires and werewolves to find answers that could help her find her mother.

Nothing is as it seems, including her close family friend Luke, who knows more than he is letting on, as well as the enigmatic warlock Magnus Bane, who could hold the key to unlocking Clary's past.

"Shadowhunters" is produced by Constantin Film and executive-produced by Ed Decter and McG. McG will also direct the first episode. The series stars Katherine McNamara as Clary Fray, Dominic Sherwood as Jace Wayland, Alberto Rosende as Simon, Emeraude Toubia as Isabelle Lightwood, Matthew Daddario as Alec Lightwood, Isaiah Mustafa as Luke Garroway, and Harry Shum Jr. as Magnus Bane.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rp5iLE2JvvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-17-16, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments (Freeform) - Series Thread

Watched the premiere tonight. Never saw the movie that this was based on "Mortal Instruments: City of Bones" But, it looks like the series has the same premise as the movie. I saw the reviews for the movie were pretty terrible.

Anyways, it was alright. A lot of hocus pocus mythology. You have to be a fan of this genre. Some of the special FX looked kind of low budget. I can see this not really appealing to most here.

The girl who's the lead is cute, so that certainly helps. Surprised that McG directed the Pilot. I guess his star has really fallen now that he's directing low budget cable shows.

I'll watch episode 2 next week to see if I like it enough to continue, but I don't anticipate watching this right away. But, it's a young adult fantasy show, so I'm willing to see a few episodes.
Old 01-17-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. There were times when I thought the show and/or characters made some promising decisions and other times when I was shaking my head a bit. Nothing terribly bad, but nothing particularly remarkable either.

I did think that the first half of the episode was better than the second, and then I watched the 2nd episode (which is On-Demand) and thought that it was better, more like the 1st half of Ep.1. I liked that they advanced the plot quickly, in some ways at least, in episode 2. But some facets of this world could still stand to be explained. I'll watch at least a couple more and see how it goes.
Old 01-17-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I was wondering if anyone else would watch. The pilot was okay but fairly generic. I would have been much more excited for another superpowered teen fantasy series...ten years ago. The genre is quickly getting played out now that superheroes have taken over movies and television, while other genres pick up superpowers as a token element.

The premise does sound thin. What mother would hide her daughter's powers for all of childhood, only to realize a day before her 18th birthday the daughter needs to know everything?
Old 01-17-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I barely made it through the pilot.
Old 01-17-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I liked it. It's basically a CW-style fantasy (super-pretty but cheap cast) show. I wasn't expect great acting so I wasn't disappointed.
Old 01-17-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
What mother would hide her daughter's powers for all of childhood, only to realize a day before her 18th birthday the daughter needs to know everything?
I think maybe the memory spell was meant to wear off when she turned 18, and meanwhile the mother didn't realize how much she was already starting to remember.

I do understand the mother not wanting to talk about this as long as possible, and it seems it worked for quite awhile. Though considering how important the info appears to be, she really should have had one or more backup plans in the event that something like this happened.
Old 01-17-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Not bad. It did appear they had to do a lot of info dumping. There is always a great chance I will try any show that involves supernatural, magic, powers etc...
Old 01-17-16, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Read two and a half of the books which are terrible but young girls would probably like them. Seen the movie which I thought was ok. The tv show pretty much follows the book and movie. One character had a job and race change but still feels the same.
Old 01-18-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thrush
I barely made it through the pilot.
I only lasted 20 minutes. I just really hate stories about magic.
Old 01-18-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I just really hate stories about magic.
Old 01-19-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have a problem with the subject matter but the execution was so bad.
Old 01-24-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Watched episode 2 last night. I wouldn't say this show is great or is blowing my mind, but it's watchable.

I had a feeling the best friend would get into some trouble. I guess the key right now is for Clary to get her memories back.

However, I can't stand the way Harry Shum Jr. looks. Just horrible looking makeup. He looks some 80's punk band reject.
Old 01-24-16, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I thought the 2nd episode was just terrible.
Old 01-24-16, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Film cast was miles better.

Since this series will tank and I assume no new films will be made, I'll expect a reboot film in about 5 years.
Old 01-24-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The first two episodes haven't been anything special but most of the cast looks solid in their roles. It would get better if they played down Clary's nerdy guy friend.
Old 03-03-16, 08:30 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not great but each episode has gotten better and it's not too bad
Old 03-03-16, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The show is watchable if you ignore the predictable plotting. It doesn't hurt that Katherine McNamara is mesmerizing as Clary. This show feels somewhat like a teen version of Dominion.
Old 03-04-16, 10:13 AM
Banned

The show is OK. It's better than Shannara at any rate.
Old 03-14-16, 10:59 AM

Renewed: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/shad...rm-1201729260/
Old 12-24-16, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

New season coming up in a bit more than a week. Any other fans here?
Old 12-24-16, 08:18 AM
Banned

I'm watching it. Not sure why.

I could jump at any time tho.
Old 12-24-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the show but thought it got canceled.
Old 12-24-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've watched Season 1.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.