Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Courtney Barnett "Sometimes I Sit and Think..." (03/24/15)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Anyone heard this new album from the terrific Aussie singer/songwriter?

One of the best things I've heard in a long time. Just mesmerizing stuff from start to finish. Highly recommended.

Didn't realize she also had an EP out in 2013, but that looks to be just about it.

Go check this out for free on Spotify. Must-purchase for me.

Reviews are great across the board, too. http://www.metacritic.com/music/some...urtney-barnett
Old 03-25-15, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Courtney Barnett "Sometimes I Sit and Think..." (03/24/15)

I'm kind of baffled honestly. I don't see anything that special and I'm confused as to why all of the major music press have latched onto it.

"Pedestrian at Best" is a great track, but the rest sounds like warmed over Sheryl Crow leftovers.
Old 03-25-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
I'm kind of baffled honestly. I don't see anything that special and I'm confused as to why all of the major music press have latched onto it.

"Pedestrian at Best" is a great track, but the rest sounds like warmed over Sheryl Crow leftovers.
I don't think her stuff sounds like Sheryl Crow much at all. Lyrically, she is light years ahead of Crow and musically much different.
Old 03-25-15, 03:27 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

She's fine. Been familiar with her since the EP. I like that better than the LP. There was buzz around that when it came out. She has some good songs, but I don't get the amount of hype for this release.
Old 03-25-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i liked her breakthrough song avant gardener. but everything i have heard since sounds the same, and i don't think i am digging this talking "singing" thing she does. she has good wordplay laden lyrics to me, but the way she presents it turns me off. the station i listen to, FUV, has a massive hard on for her. lots of live appearances, she is their album of the week, and lots of talking up how her band has really taken her to the next level.

to me she is poised to become the plugged in, folksie ACDC. same shit over and over. if you like that shit, you are in hog heaven, if not you are shit out of luck.

i secretly hope she does kind of well, as she has a nontraditional attractive look and it would nice to have someone not stereotypically good looking in the public eye. in the new song she says she is underworked and oversexed. 7/10, would bang.