Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Allan Quatermain competition for Indiana Jones?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-24-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

DVD TALk review

I never saw this movie but it looked like an Indiana Jones-type of movie. Was it any good? Is the source material good?
Old 03-24-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Allan Quatermain competition for Indiana Jones?

The character of Allan Quatermain is a literary figure that predates Indiana Jones by many decades (or rather a century, if I recall correctly). In fact, he is one of the inspirations for Dr. Jones.
Old 03-24-15, 11:46 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

No, he was a character on a soap opera.

Old 03-24-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah. He's also in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. So I'm assuming they put him in a more recent time period to compete with Spielberg and Lucas's character? Because I would think adventures in his own era would be much more interesting.

Have you read any books with the character (Quatermain)?

^
I saw this after reading how he was a visual inspiration for Indiana Jones. The movie wasn't terribly exciting but it was fun to watch seeing the prototype for Indy in technicolor.
Old 03-25-15, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I may have read them as a kid but I am unsure. I guess I'll just have to buy the books and read them, just in case.
Old 03-25-15, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I never saw this movie but it looked like an Indiana Jones-type of movie. Was it any good?
I streamed both AQ flicks on Netflix last fall and wasn't impressed. They're clearly ripping off the Indiana Jones style (they even cast John Rhys-Davies in the first one), but they just have a really hokey tone. That might appeal to some viewers, but it felt too forced for me to enjoy. If you thought Willie Scott was annoying in Temple of Doom, she's nothing compared to Sharon Stone's character here.
Old 03-25-15, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's too bad. I was hoping it was one of those rare instances where it was better than the movie it was imitating like Natural City vs pre-Final Cut Blade Runner.

I guess I'm in the minority that actually liked Willie Scott. I thought she was hotter than Marion, but Marion and Indy made the better couple.
Old 03-25-15, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

"King Solomon's Mines" from 1950 is a good Quartermain movie that I've seen. Unlike most jungle adventures from that time, it was shot on location and feels authentically African. Of course, you'll get very little of the Indiana Jones style in it.

Supposedly a 1937 adaptation is more faithful but I've never seen it. Haven't cared much for the post Raiders Quartermain movies since they come across as cheap knockoffs of Spielberg's movies.
Old 03-25-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
"King Solomon's Mines" from 1950 is a good Quartermain movie that I've seen. Unlike most jungle adventures from that time, it was shot on location and feels authentically African. Of course, you'll get very little of the Indiana Jones style in it.

Supposedly a 1937 adaptation is more faithful but I've never seen it. Haven't cared much for the post Raiders Quartermain movies since they come across as cheap knockoffs of Spielberg's movies.
The great actor/singer/activist Paul Robeson was in the 1937 version of KING SOLOMON'S MINES:

Old 03-25-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hallmark channel did a three hour version of King Soloman's mines starring Patrick Swayze and Alisson Doody(from Last Crusade) that was OK and closer to the book than the Cannon version's which are pretty awful.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IzBCUkFVgx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-25-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

If you wondering if a Cannon film from the mid/late 80s is any good...
Old 03-25-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If you wondering if a Cannon film from the mid/late 80s is any good...
Sometime people simply have to learn the hard way, like getting burnt in order to learn not to play with matches.

Once learned, though, seeing the names "Cannon Films" and "Golan-Globus" on a movie can't be overlooked again and the viewer will know to proceed with extreme caution. (Note that not all of their movies were terrible, merely 96% of them were.)
Old 03-25-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Note that not all of their movies were terrible, merely 96% of them were.
Yeah, you don't want to completely write them off. Otherwise, you'd miss out on awesomeness like:

Ninjas + The Exorcist + Flashdance!!!
Old 03-25-15, 01:10 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say these Quatermain's a bit closer to Romancing the Stone/Jewel of the Nile than Indiana Jones.
Old 03-25-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Sometime people simply have to learn the hard way, like getting burnt in order to learn not to play with matches.

Once learned, though, seeing the names "Cannon Films" and "Golan-Globus" on a movie can't be overlooked again and the viewer will know to proceed with extreme caution. (Note that not all of their movies were terrible, merely 96% of them were.)
I've seen more Golan-Globus films in theaters than I'll ever care to admit Including both Lou Ferigno Hercules movies! What's that line from Airplane? "They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into... I say, let 'em crash!"

Cannon Films... for the original Delta Force alone, DAYENU.
Old 03-25-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I loved the Quatermain movies when I was a kid in the '80s. I imagine they'd be pretty difficult to stomach as an adult.
Old 03-25-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I loved the Quatermain movies when I was a kid in the '80s. I imagine they'd be pretty difficult to stomach as an adult.
I have the same feeling. I've been tempted to revisit them since, even as a kid I knew they were cheesy (and assumed the were intentionally so) but I dunno if I'd still be able to enjoy them.
Old 03-25-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

The Cannon version of KING SOLOMON'S MINES played the Criterion Theater in Times Square not long after the theater was split up into a multiplex and they started putting all the titles on the marquee in a rather random order, so the marquee read:

King Solomon's
Krush Groove