Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

iZombie (CW) - Season 1 Thread - From creator Rob Thomas - premieres 3/17/15

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 07:13 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
iZombie (CW) - Season 1 Thread - From creator Rob Thomas - premieres 3/17/15

From executive producer Rob Thomas ("Veronica Mars"), iZOMBIE makes its series debut on Tuesday, March 17, (9:00-10:00pm ET), following an all-new episode of THE FLASH (8:00-9:00pm ET). Rose McIver ("Masters of Sex," "Once Upon a Time") stars as Olivia "Liv" Moore,a rosy-cheeked, disciplined, over-achieving medical resident who had her life path completely mapped out... until the night she attended a party that unexpectedly turned into a zombie feeding frenzy. As one of the newly undead, Liv has devised a way to resist her baser urges to devour fresh human brains - she's taken a job in the Seattle coroner's office. In this appropriately dead-end job, she can secretly snack on the brains of the many Jane and John Doe corpses that make a final stop in the morgue. Liv remains resigned to an eternity without hope or purpose, until she realizes that with every brain she consumes, she retains a portion of that person's memories, and she begins to experience visions from the point of view of the murder victims. It's not the same as being alive again, but at least she can find purpose in her undead existence by helping to solve the murders of those who are indeed fully dead.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Aly Michalka as Peyton Charles
· David Anders as Blaine DeBeers
· Malcolm Goodwin as Clive Babinaux
· Molly Hagan as Eva Moore
· Rahul Kohli as Ravi Chakrabarti
· Robert Buckley as Major Lilywhite
· Rose McIver as Olivia "Liv" Moore

RECURRING/PREVIOUS CAST INFORMATION:
· Alexandra Krosney as Peyton Charles (Original Pilot)
· Nora Dunn as Eva Moore (Original Pilot)

CREW INFORMATION:
· Chris Roberson as BOOK
· Dan Etheridge as EP
· Danielle Stokdyk as EP
· Diane Ruggiero as CRTR/EP
· Michael Allred as BOOK
· Rob Thomas as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)
Read more: Listings - IZOMBIE on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3Ue1OzZAK

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bWCyqJv6q7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-17-15, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: iZombie (CW) - Season 1 Thread - From creator Rob Thomas - premieres 3/17/15

I had Molly Hagan on my show last week and we talked about this show (I'm very excited for it), she plays Liv's mom.
<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/188376774&color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_rep osts=false"></iframe>
Old 03-17-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: iZombie (CW) - Season 1 Thread - From creator Rob Thomas - premieres 3/17/15

I'll definitely be checking this out. Keeping expectations in check, but I'm hoping it's good.

PS. The lead sounds a lot like Kristen Bell/Veronica Mars in the promo VO.
Old 03-17-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I've seen the promos for this and while it looks somewhat intriguing and like it could be entertaining I'm not sure I'd want to watch a full series based around the concept.
Old 03-17-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big fan of Veronica Mars AND the comic book. I'm in for this one.
Old 03-17-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm DVRing this. I haven't read the comic books though. A few of the early reviews are good.
Old 03-17-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

.....you had me at Veronica Mars.
Old 03-17-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Not a big fan of Matchbox 20.
Old 03-17-15, 11:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

This week's DC sale at Comixology is on iZombie, the 28 issue series that inspired the TV show premiering tonight.
https://www.comixology.com/iZombie-Sale/page/5782
Old 03-17-15, 12:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Looking forward to this. Rob Thomas fan (Veronica Mars, Party Down).
Old 03-17-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
This week's DC sale at Comixology is on iZombie, the 28 issue series that inspired the TV show premiering tonight.
https://www.comixology.com/iZombie-Sale/page/5782
Thank you, because after watching that pilot I am going to really have to get those stat.

I really enjoyed the pilot. Strong writing, good characters, and interesting premise. Can't wait for more.
Old 03-17-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Veronica Mars meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Loved it.
Old 03-17-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like the premise and the episode set-up, but I got bored during the "case of the week." I hope this show doesn't become too much of a procedural. Everything else was great.
Old 03-17-15, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Veronica Mars meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Loved it.
Add in Tru Calling. I also enjoyed the pilot.
Old 03-18-15, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The pilot was about what I expected, we'll have to see a few more episodes to see what it's like week to week. I'm hoping for a solid first season at least.

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I really like the premise and the episode set-up, but I got bored during the "case of the week." I hope this show doesn't become too much of a procedural. Everything else was great.
I get you. Fortunately I just read an article that said this:

Thomas says writers are focusing on building up a zombie mythology, rather than relying on the “murder of the week” story engine that’s sank other procedurals into dull repetitiveness.
That gives me hope, though honestly it wasn't the case of the week repetitiveness that killed Veronica Mars for me but the decline of the serial storyline on the show.

I am curious about what kind of source material they are working with if someone familiar with the comic wants to give non-spoilery details. Does it have a storyline they can adapt? Does it have the case of the week stuff or was that added for the show? Where do you think this show will fit on a scale of "just loosely based on the premise" to Walking Dead, where it draws heavily from the source many seasons of story and characters?
Old 03-18-15, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir

I am curious about what kind of source material they are working with if someone familiar with the comic wants to give non-spoilery details. Does it have a storyline they can adapt? Does it have the case of the week stuff or was that added for the show? Where do you think this show will fit on a scale of "just loosely based on the premise" to Walking Dead, where it draws heavily from the source many seasons of story and characters?
It is, so far, very loosely based on the comic book. Walking Dead is very close to the source material, though they change up some of the details and character arcs.

The IZombie comic was more of "alt" comic than something like Walking Dead. It was drawn by Mike Allred (though not, to my knowledge, the one who posts on this board) who has a retro pop style.

In the comic Gwen was a grave digger, and her circle of friends included
Spoiler:
a ghost and a werewolf.
Much quirkier than last night's pilot.

Some images from the comic:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-18-15 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-18-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. Thanks for the response Josh.

Regarding the first spoiler,
Spoiler:
That must be why the article I read mentioned other monsters and Thomas deciding against including them because he felt True Blood had already covered that ground.

Honestly, I was hoping they had a stronger, deeper pool of source material to draw on, even though I knew it wouldn't be near Walking Dead in terms of quantity.

Last edited by wmansir; 03-18-15 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know pilots usually spend a lot of time on setting up the premise but did anyone thing this one went too fast? I actually wanted to see more about her coming to terms with being a zombie, but in the pilot it just skipped ahead and she had already made these life decisions about it (breaking up with her fiance, getting the job at the morgue etc.)

Maybe we will see more flashbacks to what happened when she first turned.
Old 03-18-15, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
Interesting. Thanks for the response Josh.

Regarding the first spoiler,
Spoiler:
That must be why the article I read mentioned other monsters and Thomas deciding against including them because he felt True Blood had already covered that ground.

Honestly, I was hoping they had a stronger, deeper pool of source material to draw on, even though I knew it wouldn't be near Walking Dead in terms of quantity.
I can see why there was a change regarding the first spoiler about the comic books. Also I wonder
Spoiler:
if Rob Thomas thought about Being Human.
Old 03-18-15, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I know pilots usually spend a lot of time on setting up the premise but did anyone thing this one went too fast? I actually wanted to see more about her coming to terms with being a zombie, but in the pilot it just skipped ahead and she had already made these life decisions about it (breaking up with her fiance, getting the job at the morgue etc.)

Maybe we will see more flashbacks to what happened when she first turned.
I didn't have a problem with it, but I can see how some would because it starts with a flashback to her normal life and how she became a zombie so the return to current time felt like it was jumping past a lot of story. Maybe it would have worked better if they had started with a short scene establishing her current state before doing the origins flashback.
Old 03-18-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it and definitely has that Veronica Mars vibe. I'm pretty tired of all the zombie stuff, but the fun premise and some snappy dialogue helps a lot.

The main plot felt pretty rushed regarding the dirty cop, but I'm interested to see where it goes from the pilot.
Old 03-18-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I kind of liked it and personally I didn't mind the procedural aspect as well. It was quirky which I liked.

I was trying to figure out where I remembered Liv from and once I heard her speak I recalled she was on Masters of Sex. I thought it was funny that Liv is living and functioning as a relatively normal person except that she needs to eat brains.

I was also a little lost when they jumped forward in time and Liv had already broke up with Major, but they were on friendly terms. I'm sure they will address some of the lost time in flashbacks.
Old 03-18-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I watched this last night and it's basically a zombie version of Veronica Mars. For example Veronica was a goody two shoes until Lily was murdered. Liv was a goody two shoes until she herself was murdered. They both have short hair and solve crimes.

I wasn't that fond of the actress playing Liv after seeing her on Once Upon A Time, but I think she's really good in this role.

During the party on the boat, did the people taking the Utopia drug turn into Zombies or did Zombies just randomly start attacking the boat? It seemed to me that the people who took the drug turned, but they didn't do a very good job of showing that.
Old 03-18-15, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Some obvious questions aren't answered

1) Why is Liv the only surviving zombie
2) The other zombie bodies should have raised eyebrows when examined
3) Why isn't she raging out of control like regular zombies
Old 03-18-15, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm intrigued. I am recording the repeat of the pilot on Friday night.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.