Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Has the Average Duration of Blockbuster Movies Increased over the Years ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 08:56 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been watching a few action classics from the 80s and 90s. Most clock in around the 90 to 100 min mark

Most blockbuster movies nowadays seem to clock in at around the 2 hour (120 min) mark

is this just my imagination or have movies on average become a bit longer over the years ?
Old 03-13-15, 09:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 938 Likes on 786 Posts
Re: Has the Average Duration of Blockbuster Movies Increased over the Years ?

eh...
Old 03-14-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I had to go to the bathroom during the following: TITANIC, THE LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, PACIFIC RIM, KINGSMAN. If the film is compelling enough that I don't want to miss anything, I hold it in. If I lose interest then I get up to go.

And it's a big pain at the Loew's 34th Street in Manhattan because the bathroom is on a different floor.
Old 03-14-15, 02:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Ash, that's a bitch. Jesus. I can't even imagine if you REALLY had to go to the restroom.
Old 03-14-15, 03:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Do people ever think not to drink fluids a couple of hours before a movie? Hit the urinal before the show, and you should be fine.

The answer is yes, they are longer, but so are the credits for those movies, due to how many more people are involved.
Old 03-14-15, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh, you don't need to go to the restroom at a movie theater. If you have an empty drink cup with you, just pee in the cup. It's dark in the theater, and if there is nobody sitting next to you, nobody will notice.
Old 03-14-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 308 Posts

Anything longer than 2hours and 20 mins in summer blockbusters seems like overkill. Michael Bay has forgotten this with Transformers, and the best Batman movies stayed around the 2 hour mark.
Old 03-15-15, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Do people ever think not to drink fluids a couple of hours before a movie? Hit the urinal before the show, and you should be fine.
I always pee beforehand. It makes no difference. I also drink water beforehand because after walking a half mile to the theater because every theater in Manhattan is at least that far from my office--guess what?--I'm thirsty!

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Eh, you don't need to go to the restroom at a movie theater. If you have an empty drink cup with you, just pee in the cup. It's dark in the theater, and if there is nobody sitting next to you, nobody will notice.
I don't buy anything to drink beforehand, so I have no access to a cup like that. (I only have a water bottle that I carry with me.) Besides, people might notice the smell. And then the poor guy who has to clean the place...
Old 03-15-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never, ever drink anything before seeing Branagh's Hamlet in the theater. The intermission isn't until almost the 3 hour mark.

I learned that the hard way.
Old 03-15-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, if you got to see it in 70mm, I'm jealous anyway :

The intermission in The Ten Commandments is probably the shortest one I've ever seen, the bottom half of my body still goes numb thinking about it. I'd never seen it, so I thought I'd catch a DCP. My Lord, is it long. And Ben-Hur was the following week. If only they hadn't booked them in their smallest screens possible. That ones a while before the intermission too. Lawrence of Arabia and Seven Samurai (Got to see the latter in 35mm! My life is such that that's exciting ) have them placed more sensibly around the middle.
Old 03-15-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I always pee beforehand. It makes no difference. I also drink water beforehand because after walking a half mile to the theater because every theater in Manhattan is at least that far from my office--guess what?--I'm thirsty! I don't buy anything to drink beforehand, so I have no access to a cup like that. (I only have a water bottle that I carry with me.) Besides, people might notice the smell. And then the poor guy who has to clean the place...
I once knew a guy who had to clean a urinal which a person had mistaken for a regular toilet. That's the most delicate way I can put it. It was probably the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in my life, and I'm not the one who had to clean it. So I hope that hell contains a special place for practitioners of such biological vandalism, hopefully one which Lucifer finds uncomfortable.
Old 03-15-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
You don't even need the cup. It's a dark theater and everybody will assume someone spilled their soda.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I don't buy anything to drink beforehand, so I have no access to a cup like that. (I only have a water bottle that I carry with me.) Besides, people might notice the smell. And then the poor guy who has to clean the place...
What are you eating, asparagus?

I've been that guy. If that is the worst thing he has to clean up, it is a good day.
Old 03-16-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You are asking a question that can be easily answered by doing some data analysis on IMDB and Box Office Mojo. No opinion matters: either there is a trend or there is not. It's in the data.

What you are doing is essentially asking one of us to do that work for you. To which my response is: No.