Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Shows you watch, but not quite sure you like?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 06:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

So I know there is an abundance of content out there, but are there shows you watch, but not quite sure you enjoy?

I tell ya, I watch Man Seeking Woman, saw all eps thus far. Trouble is I'm not sure I get that much enjoyment out of it, yet compelled for some g-damn reason...

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-13-15 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-12-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Shows you watch, but not quite sure you like?

Old 03-12-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

- Ex-Wives of Rock
- Revenge
- documentaries about Nazi war criminals
- various (unstated) Israeli shows
- Deutsche Welle
- COPS
- etc ...
Old 03-12-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Togetherness
Old 03-12-15, 09:05 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Was Walking Dead, but finally realized I HATED it and stopped watching.

Wondering if I still really like The Blacklist, lots of spinning wheels in that one

But for me the main one is Arrow. It is so dour and frequently boring. Definitely my least favorite of the Superhero Shows.
Old 03-12-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

House of Lies on Showtime and Girls on HBO

Girls gets on my nerves so many times. I cannot stand several of them. Cough...Shosh, Cough Jessa. Those 2 characters are idiots. Hannah can be funny and Marnie is hot and has her moments.

House of Lies I continue to watch, but in spurts. I tend to give premium cable shows a lot of leeway, but the show isn't LOL funny and can be downright dark and depressing.
Old 03-12-15, 09:19 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
House of Lies on Showtime and Girls on HBO

Girls gets on my nerves so many times. I cannot stand several of them. Cough...Shosh, Cough Jessa. Those 2 characters are idiots. Hannah can be funny and Marnie is hot and has her moments.

House of Lies I continue to watch, but in spurts. I tend to give premium cable shows a lot of leeway, but the show isn't LOL funny and can be downright dark and depressing.
House of Lies does not actually have a likeable character maybe with the exception of Grandpa's young GF
Old 03-12-15, 09:26 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

(On a huge offtopic tangent).

The feeling the OP alludes to, sounds very similar to the feeling I have today towards music.

Back in the day I was really hardcore into listening to heavy metal music, and playing it on the guitar. Fast forward to the present, these days I can't stand listening to heavy metal music anymore.

With that being said, I still play fast heavy metal guitar riffs and solos on the guitar whenever I'm really bored at home. These days I can still spend hours and hours transcribing fast guitar solos note by note by ear (like back in the day), from listening to the cd and a lot of trial and error.

For example, earlier today after supper I spent a few hours attempting to transcribe the guitar solo from the Metallica song "Phantom Lord" from the "Kill 'Em All" album. But ironically, I can't stand listening to Metallica these days.
Old 03-12-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I ditched Girls after the first episode of the current season. I just didn't give a shit about any of it; all of the characters are witless narcissists who constantly whine and do stupid shit. Not even seeing Marnie get her shit-pipe tongue-cleaned could keep me around. Something like that happens and it will be all over the 'net the next day anyway.

I stopped watching House of Lies because everyone on that show is a smug, entitled asshole.

Ditched True Blood after the second episode of the final season. It had been sucking ass for the last couple of seasons and the opening of season seven didn't offer any hope that they might salvage it.

Also ditched Homeland early in season four because it was boring the fuck out of me.

I might end up dropping Bates Motel; I only find it mildly interesting and it's starting to bore me.

American Horror Story is borderline; since it reinvents itself every year there's always a chance the next season will knock it out of the park.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-12-15 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-12-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Hawaii 5-0

The "Kuka'awale (Stakeout)" (S5, E17) episode must have been a joke by the writers. That couldn't have been a real episode.
Old 03-12-15, 09:36 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I am shocked to say this, but Arrow is also on my list of shows I watch, but could see myself deleting from my tivo (which may happen soon, if I give up the urge to play catch up).

- Man Seeking Woman
- Togetherness
- The Big Bang Theory
- Satisfaction
- Outlander
- Empire
- Marvel's Agents Of Shield
- Bates Motel
- The Fosters
- Gotham
- Madame Secretary
- Once Upon A Time
- Resurrection
- Haven (it has lost some of its appeal this past season)
- The Librarians
- Manhattan
- Cedar Cove
Old 03-12-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Orange is the New Black is a good one. Once you get past the novelty of what it is (a few episodes into season 1) and realize it's everything you'd imagine it would be without watching it. It's taking me forever to get through season 2.
Old 03-12-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Something about The Americans just doesn't grab me like it seems to grab everyone else. And that's with the local factor for me thrown in. It's actually a show that I have to force myself to watch.
Old 03-12-15, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Like someone else said - Girls and House of Lies
Revenge - I've actually considered quitting it but always holding out for the next big twist they throw in
The Blacklist - getting boring
Grey's Anatomy - long time habit
At Midnight - I don't find most of the jokes funny but feel it keeps me plugged into internet/geek comedy culture
Resurrection, Constantine - couldn't get interested enough to pay close attention to...probably not coming back anyway
Face Off - Don't really care about the "process" of the makeups, just wanna see the final result
Finding Bigfoot - same thing every week but maybe next week they'll find one? na, watch more for the humor in the show/cast
Brooklyn 99 - Just don't find it as funny as everyone else here

Last edited by windom; 03-12-15 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-12-15, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Helix ... I keep recording it, keep trying to watch it, and keep getting distracted. Then I rewind it and realize I didn't really miss anything, it's just that messed up. Maybe I need to binge watch it instead of trying to watch it each week.
Old 03-13-15, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Flash - I'm torn between my like of the character against the teen drama treatment it gets on the CW. I could handle it if the writing was good, but most of it tends to be pretty groan inducing.
I'll probably stick with it for awhile anyways. I just find I feel less compelled to watch it as the weeks go by.

Modern Family- There seems to be two or three lackluster episodes and then a good one will air which keeps me tuning in. I still like it more than I don't, but could possibly get squeezed out if something better comes along.
Old 03-13-15, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These keep piling up on my DVR and I'm not sure if I should continue with them or not:
Sleepy Hollow
NCIS NO
Vampire Diaries
Hawaii 5-0

but these I finally gave up on because I realized it was actually a chore to watch them:
Covert Affairs
Hannibal
Old 03-13-15, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Wow, I thought Hannibal was supposed to be great. I was keeping up until NBC pulled and episode in season 1. I plan to watch on Blu-ray eventually.
Old 03-13-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Gotham
Old 03-13-15, 08:36 PM

Hit the Floor on VH1
Old 03-13-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
Hit the Floor on VH1

Hit the Floor is kind of a guilty pleasure. But, I liked it a little better in season 1 when Charlotte Ross was on the show and one of the main leads. Disappointed that she was written out for season 2.
Old 03-13-15, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Hit the Floor is kind of a guilty pleasure. But, I liked it a little better in season 1 when Charlotte Ross was on the show and one of the main leads. Disappointed that she was written out for season 2.
I agree, I was also disappointed that she was written out.
Old 03-13-15, 10:00 PM

There are a few that I've recently abandoned altogether, but the ones I'm still keeping up with but are on real shaky ground are:

Orange Is the New Black
Married
The Strain
Bates Motel
Old 03-14-15, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

The Walking Dead. It's soooo repetitive. I find myself hoping Daryl dies just so I can watch the fanboiz freak out.
Old 03-14-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trelach24
Something about The Americans just doesn't grab me like it seems to grab everyone else. And that's with the local factor for me thrown in. It's actually a show that I have to force myself to watch.
Even though The Americans is set in DC, I believe it's filmed in New York. Sometimes I think the "local factor" can be a liability if it's clearly not filmed locally. I loved Homeland (Season 1), but the fact that it was filmed in Charlotte was a huge distraction. There was an important scene in Farragut Square that looked NOTHING like Farragut Square in DC. Not to mention the
Spoiler:
sniper
in a skyscraper in a city known for its lack of skyscrapers.

House of Cards is set in DC, but primarily shot in Baltimore. I think they actually have done a very good job making it look like it's all in DC.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.