Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

audio issue with my Onkyo TX-NR5010

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I'm having a bizarre issue with my 5010 just now. Recently I started using Dolby Volume and found that I like it much better than Audyssey Dynamic EQ. I'd also been using Audyssey DSX and decided to give DTS Neo:X a try. However, I notice that the Dolby Volume light on the display shut down. I checked in the menu and saw it was active. Decided to toggle it on and off but noticed nothing was happening. I assumed that DTS Neo:X disables Dolby Volume for whatever reason so I went back to Audyssey DSX. Much to my surprise, all I hear is silence. After a while I realized that now whenever I engage Dolby Volume, my receiver goes silent. This happens in any mode except DTS Neo:X because that one seems to ignore Dolby Volume altogether.

This is terrible for me as I quite enjoy Dolby Volume and have no idea how to make it work again.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-10-15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-10-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: audio issue with my Onkyo TX-NR5010

Dolby Volume is only made to work with devices that support Dolby Volume, which devices have you tried? Have you tried to disable both?
Old 03-10-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ended up doing a factory reset. Funny enough, shortly after I did so, I got a call from Onkyo and the tech told me that's exactly what he was going to tell me to do. It seems sometimes several functions stay switched on and it makes the system all wonky. So in those cases, a factory reset is the best bet.
Old 03-10-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Dolby Volume is only made to work with devices that support Dolby Volume, which devices have you tried? Have you tried to disable both?
It was DTS Neo:X that wasn't playing ball. Even when I disabled all audio processing functions of the receiver, my audio would go away the second I engaged Dolby Volume. The only exception was DTS Neo:X because it was simply bypassing Dolby Volume.

It's a shame because I would have loved to pair DTS Neo:X with Dolby Volume.
Old 03-10-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Ah gotcha.