Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Free State of Jones (2016, D: Gary Ross) S: McConaughey, Russell, Mbatha-Raw

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Free State of Jones (2016, D: Gary Ross) S: McConaughey, Russell, Mbatha-Raw

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 08:49 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Set during the Civil War, The Free State of Jones tells the story of defiant Southern farmer Newt Knight, and his extraordinary armed rebellion against the Confederacy. Banding together with other small farmers, and with the assistance of local slaves, Knight launched an uprising that led Jones County, Mississippi to secede from the Confederacy, creating a Free State of Jones. His marriage to a former slave, Rachel, and his subsequent establishment of a mixed race community was unique in the post-war South. Knight continued his struggle into Reconstruction, which distinguished him as a compelling, if controversial, figure of defiance long beyond the War.
THE FREE STATE OF JONES hits theaters on March 11, 2016.
Old 03-09-15, 09:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Free State of Jones (2016, D: Gary Ross) S: McConaughey, Russell, Mbatha-Raw

Gary Ross directing Wooderson. I'm in just for those two. Sounds like it should be a good one here.
Old 01-09-16, 05:35 PM
Banned by request

Re: The Free State of Jones (2016, D: Gary Ross) S: McConaughey, Russell, Mbatha-Raw

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3EMkxEKKSQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-09-16, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Gary Ross directing Wooderson. I'm in just for those two. Sounds like it should be a good one here.
Wooderson? Who or what is that?

-------

Looks interesting...
Old 01-09-16, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Wooderson? Who or what is that?
His Dazed and Confused character.
Old 01-09-16, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heh. I like that movie but I just don't remember any character names but I remember what they do.
Old 06-08-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Comes out in a couple weeks (6/24)

Rated R for "Brutal Battle Scenes And Disturbing Graphic Images"

When I saw the trailer I would have bet on PG-13.
Old 06-08-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I haven't been a fan of what I've seen of this so far.
Old 06-08-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Looks like heavy handed Oscar bait to me.
Old 06-08-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

A white man heroicly leading the blacks to freedom? What's not to like?
Old 06-09-16, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657

Comes out in a couple weeks (6/24)

Rated R for "Brutal Battle Scenes And Disturbing Graphic Images"

When I saw the trailer I would have bet on PG-13.
I'm looking forward to this. Love a good period movie on the big screen, and it's been a long time since we had a civil war flick.

Pretty cool that the small town country kid from Arkansas who auditioned and starred in the film "Mud" is in this with MM again.
Old 06-10-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Can someone please explain to me why all these STX Entertainment movies look like they were filmed for TNT a dozen years ago?

I am sure the story and acting may be very good, I just don't understand why the visuals are so bad. It's not the cinematography. The same cinematographer did A Most Wanted Man which was very, very well shot.
Old 06-17-16, 06:44 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The upcoming historical war drama “Free State of Jones” follows Newton Knight (Matthew McConaughey), a Confederate dissident who led an armed rebellion against the Confederacy in Jones County, Mississippi during the Civil War. Knight subsequently marries a former slave, establishes a mixed-race community in the South, and fought for the rights of African-Americans after the war is over. Director Gary Ross, who previously wrote and directed films like “Pleasantville” and “Seabiscuit,” has posted a comprehensive website annotating topics and scenes in the film to expand on their historical basis and accuracy, including extensive footnotes and many primary documents.

Ross made clear that he didn’t want the film to come off like the work of an amateur. “I stopped my life to read and study for two years before I even started writing a script,” Ross said in an interview with The New York Times. “If people want to pick apart this history, they can. But they should know that this wasn’t the glib work of a screenwriter who was inventing things.” In the same NYT profile, Ross discussed how he consulted with many different historians, with Harvard’s John Stauffer commenting that working with the director was like “working with grad students you really like.” Ross also discussed how he tried to reframe Knight’s role in the film less as a “white savior” and more of an “ally,” and how he made sure not to sentimentalize the Confederate cause.

See the website for yourself. http://freestateofjones.info/

“The Free State of Jones” enters theaters on June 24th.
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/fre...ey-1201689379/
Old 06-17-16, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Can someone please explain to me why all these STX Entertainment movies look like they were filmed for TNT a dozen years ago?

I am sure the story and acting may be very good, I just don't understand why the visuals are so bad. It's not the cinematography. The same cinematographer did A Most Wanted Man which was very, very well shot.
Gary Ross likes to shoot this way, the original Hunger Games movie had a similar aesthetic (and oh so much shaky cam), Seabiscuit did somewhat as well.

The only other STX movie to really look that way was Hardcore Henry which was shot with GoPros. I thought The Boy and The Gift looked fine despite their very low budgets ($10m and $5m respectively).
Old 06-17-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

I'm usually not "that guy", but I've got to admit that the title itself is a huge turn-off to me, and makes me not take the movie seriously. I know.
Old 06-17-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I'm usually not "that guy", but I've got to admit that the title itself is a huge turn-off to me, and makes me not take the movie seriously. I know.
What's wrong with the title?
Old 06-17-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
What's wrong with the title?
I'm an old, old man and funny enough, I've never heard of this piece of history so it doesn't have any significance to me in and of itself. It's not "The Free State of...", -it's the "Jones" which immediately sounds like its going to be a Comedy of some sort. Before seeing the trailer, and knowing nothing of it, I thought it was one of those disaffected Teen movies like "Igby Goes Down". However, seeing the trailer I know its dead serious, but the "Jones" just hits me as "off-key" when I hear it. Like I said, I know.

Last edited by DWilson; 06-17-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-17-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When I first heard the title I thought "Jones" referred to a person and not a place. But once I knew what it really was about, I was fine with it.

Any way, was just curious
Old 06-17-16, 03:28 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I really liked the trailer when I first saw it before BvS. Will check it out opening weekend (I'm off that weekend). Plus MM looks badass. Count me in.
Old 06-17-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
Looks like heavy handed Oscar bait to me.
Why release it now? Why not wait and a limited release in December and then go wide in January?
Old 06-17-16, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Why release it now? Why not wait and a limited release in December and then go wide in January?
Probably because it's not good enough to get Oscar nominations. The studios generally know when they have a legit contender on their hands and release them in the fall accordingly. Summer Oscar contenders tend to be either lighter in nature with low budgets and are released as a counterpoint to the dumb blockbusters (Boyhood) or have mass four quadrant audience appeal (Saving Private Ryan). This does not look like either.
Old 06-17-16, 06:37 PM
Banned by request

Not necessarily. Glory was released in February and that did well at the Oscars. As did Silence of the Lambs. I kind of see these release dates for movies so strong that they avoid getting swallowed during the holiday dump of a dozen movies and still get recognized during award season.
Old 06-17-16, 08:47 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
That's what I was going to say. This looks like a TV movie. With TV costumes and TV haircuts.
Old 06-18-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not even going to wait to see the movie before I start complaining about how it didn't stick to the strictest historical facts.
Old 06-18-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I find myself warming up to this movie now... the tv spots and trailers have been good, R rated (yeah, that does make a difference).. I'll wait for reviews, but this might be a nice change of pace from the comic book movies, ID4, etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.