Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future Valiant Cinematic Universe Projects Discussion Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-09-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 710 Likes on 518 Posts

China’s DMG Buys Into Valiant Comic Book Slate
March 8, 2015 | 08:25PM PT Patrick Frater
Asia Bureau Chief

DMG, the Chinese and US film production group, is to take an equity stake in independent comic book company Valiant Entertainment. It plans to adapt Valiant’s characters into movie franchises.

The company said that the deal is “a new partnership to span motion pictures, television, publishing, and licensing that will culminate in the big screen debut of Valiant’s universe of characters in theaters around the world.”

“Today marks one of Valiant’s biggest milestones yet with a huge step towards bringing the Valiant characters to the big screen and forging the foundation of the first truly international cinematic universe,” said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani in a statement.

DMG, which was an investor and co-producer of Disney/Marvel’s “Iron Man 3”, says it has made “an eight-figure (USD) series C round of equity investment into Valiant,” which the company will use to further its efforts in international publishing, film, television, licensing and beyond.

DMG said that it has agreed to provide “an additional nine-figures (USD) of film financing capital toward the production of theatrical films and television programs based on Valiant’s library of iconic superhero characters.”

Valiant owns some 2,000 characters that include X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Shadowman, Archer & Armstrong.

Current Valiant feature films in development include the previously announced “Bloodshot” from Sony Pictures in partnership with Original Film; “Shadowman” in partnership with the Sean Daniel Company from a script by J. Michael Straczynski; and “Archer & Armstrong”, also with the Sean Daniel Company from a script by BenDavid Grabinski.

The companies say that the partnership creates the ability to develop and co-produce tent-pole theatrical films for distribution and release simultaneously in the U.S. and China, respectively the world’s two largest theatrical markets.

“Global markets, like China, offer the greatest opportunities for monetization from merchandising, licensing, as well as revenues from film and television properties. Comic superheroes are the most lucrative and sought after IP for movie franchises, so taking a stake in the last independent massive comic universe is a strategic investment for DMG that will produce movies and TV that are both appealing and relevant to a global audience,” said DMG CEO Dan Mintz. “

“DMG and Valiant will work in concert to form China-focused licensing partnerships for Valiant’s stable of characters in areas such as Chinese language publishing, animation, online gaming, toys, apparel, live events, theme parks, and more, with a focus on bringing Valiant’s iconic heroes to new audiences in China and Asia-Pacific,” a statement continued.

Valiant was formed 25 years ago by comic book creators from including former Marvel editor-in chief Jim Shooter, and “Iron Man” artist Bob Layton, and has sold over 81 million comics.
Old 03-09-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Future Valiant Cinematic Universe Projects Discussion Thread

X-O and Turok were my favorite characters but only when Bart Sears drew them.
Old 03-09-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Valiant Entertainment Announces Nine-Figure Funding for Movie Division
6:20 PM PDT 3/8/2015 by Graeme McMillan

Comic book heroes Archer and Armstrong, Bloodshot and X-O Manowar might not be household names, but that might be about to change soon, with New York-based independent publisher Valiant Entertainment announcing a new round of financing that makes a significant investment in future movie projects.

A report in The New York Times on Sunday night revealed that Beijing-based DMG Entertainment has made what's described as "a nine-figure investment" in Valiant for feature and television financing. DMG CEO Dan Mintz said that "taking a stake in the last independent massive comic universe is a strategic investment for DMG that will produce movies and TV that are both appealing and relevant to a global audience."

As a result of that investment, Valiant and DMG will develop both movies for release in the U.S. and China as well as new projects specifically for the Asian market, including "Chinese-language publishing, animation and theme parks as well as toys and apparel."

Valiant originally launched in 1989, the brainchild of former Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Jim Shooter and creator Bob Layton. Following initial success with series such as Harbinger, Rai and Shadowman, the company was sold in 1994 to videogame developer Acclaim Entertainment, which went bankrupt in 2004. Three years later, Valiant was relaunched as Valiant Entertainment following its purchase by Dinesh Shamdasani and Jason Kothari and resumed publication of its comic line in 2012.

Movies based on the Valiant properties have been in development for some time, with supernatural thriller Shadowman and buddy comedy Archer & Armstrong currently being developed by Valiant's movie arm. Additionally, Bloodshot was optioned in 2012 by Fast and Furious producer Neal H. Moritz for Columbia Pictures. A movie version of teen superhero team Harbinger has previously been in the works at Paramount with Brett Ratner at the helm, but rights reverted to Valiant in 2013.

If Valiant's business model of tightly controlling the comic books and movie versions of its characters seems to borrow from Marvel's way of doing things, that's no accident. Former Marvel chief executive Peter Cuneo is the current chairman of the company and has gone on the record with his intent to transform the publisher into "Marvel 2.0." Marvel's current movie success, it might be worth mentioning, started with its own nine-figure funding in 2005.
Old 03-09-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I was coming here to create a Thread about this.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
X-O and Turok were my favorite characters but only when Bart Sears drew them.
Unfortunately, Valiant no longer has the rights to Turok, Solar or Magnus Robot Fighter. Those were part of the Gold Key license (which is now owned by DreamWorks). The movie deal would cover the characters owned solely by Valiant. I wouldn't mind seeing an Archer & Armstong movie.
Old 03-09-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll take a Ninjak movie!
Old 03-09-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Maybe my Pre-Unity comics will finally be worth something
Old 03-09-15, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The comic book movie bubble is about to bust. I can't imagine a "cinematic universe" based upon a third rate comic company is going to be successful at all. What's next? An Archie Cinematic Universe?
Old 03-09-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ They're shooting a Riverdale pilot right now with expectations to turn it into a drama series at Fox. The Archie-verse is gearing up to pop soon.

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Maybe my Pre-Unity comics will finally be worth something
Some of the first release title are worth a bit. The first 10 issues of Solar go for a little more than usual. Early Magnus titles do too.

If you have any of the pre-Valiant Verse books (like the Nintendo titles and WWF books), those are money in the bank.
Old 03-09-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm just waiting for the trickle down effect. Hopefully, the books go up in value and I can finally get rid of them.
Old 03-09-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
I'm just waiting for the trickle down effect. Hopefully, the books go up in value and I can finally get rid of them.
Ditto. I still have two sets of the Unity chromium cards that you had to send in.
Old 03-09-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 948 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
The comic book movie bubble is about to bust. I can't imagine a "cinematic universe" based upon a third rate comic company is going to be successful at all. What's next? An Archie Cinematic Universe?
It's a good thing taffer isn't still alive to hear you say that. I suggested something similar a few months back and he completely lost his mind.
Old 03-09-15, 01:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The companies say that the partnership creates the ability to develop and co-produce tent-pole theatrical films for distribution and release simultaneously in the U.S. and China, respectively the world’s two largest theatrical markets.
This seems like a really bad idea unless Valiant is somehow really big in China. These properties have zero mainstream recognition and they're not in the position to elevate obscure titles to prominence like Marvel is.
Old 03-09-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Some of the first release title are worth a bit. The first 10 issues of Solar go for a little more than usual. Early Magnus titles do too.

If you have any of the pre-Valiant Verse books (like the Nintendo titles and WWF books), those are money in the bank.
I have most pre-unity issues of all the titles. I really liked the comics so I held onto them when I sold my collection...actually I should say "gave away" as I never received the money for the over 16,000 books

Don't have any of the pre-valiant verse books

I also kept my Vertigo books but those will never be worth much (except maybe Sandman).
Old 03-09-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure first appearances will go up in price once movies and casts are announced. Comics in the quarter bins will end up going for Rocket Racoon and Angela prices. I think Bloodshot's first appearance was in Rai #0 which use to sell for major bucks even after the comic bubble burst. I've been finding more and more in the .50 cent bins in recent years (along with all the Unity chapters). Grab 'em now and sell 'em later!

I was never into Valiant at the start but my cousin was. He has all the first titles but kept them in shitty shape. My first Valiant book was probably Bloodshot #1 because of the chromium cover. I was a bitch for chromium covers.
Old 03-09-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 785 Likes on 659 Posts

Unfortunately, Valiant no longer has the rights to Turok, Solar or Magnus Robot Fighter. Those were part of the Gold Key license (which is now owned by DreamWorks). The movie deal would cover the characters owned solely by Valiant. I wouldn't mind seeing an Archer & Armstong movie.
Those three are definitely the properties with the most potential, I haven't understood why Hollywood hasn't jumped on them.

I would also love to see an Archer & Armstrong movie.
Old 03-09-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Frankly, I see them going with Bloodshot first seems it shares some parallel with the Punisher except for the nanites that he carries. A movie about X-O Manowar will be really hard to sell IMHO.
Old 03-09-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Conan with Iron Man-like armor. How's that a hard sell? It'll rake in millions, I tell you. Millions!
Old 03-09-15, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

I went into this thread expecting a film series about Prince Valiant.
Old 03-09-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

I have two long boxes of the first couple of years of Valiant books.
I loved the stories.

So much better art wise and story wise than the start of Image.
Old 03-10-15, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
I have two long boxes of the first couple of years of Valiant books.
I loved the stories.

So much better art wise and story wise than the start of Image.
Did Image ever produce anything better than the Valiant comics during the 1990s? Image had flashy artists that had no business writing their own comics. For a couple of years Valiant had a very tight, cohesive little universe.
Old 03-10-15, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Did Image ever produce anything better than the Valiant comics during the 1990s? Image had flashy artists that had no business writing their own comics. For a couple of years Valiant had a very tight, cohesive little universe.
I don't think Image really had much of an interconnected universe. Yeah, their characters crossed over but nothing that was particularly memorable. Heck, the most memorable thing about Image was Todd MacFarlane trying to screw over Neil Gaiman in a manner that went totally against the reason Image was supposedly founded.
Old 03-10-15, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Did Image produce anything better than Valiant in the 90s? Astro City, by about a million degrees. Image also put out Bone, Groo, A Distant Soil and Strangers in Paradise for a while. The Maxx was also a gem, and Savage Dragon was head and shoulders over any of the founders' launch books.

I tried reading Valiant I'm the 90s and the only thing that ever held my interest was Quantum & Woody. The shared universe also made finding an entry point seem intimidating for a casual reader. Things seem to stand more on their own since the recent relaunch, but I haven't been able to make it through an entire issue. I've heard good things about the new series, but the 90s books seem to have poisoned the well for me.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-19-22)
Old 03-10-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 03-10-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

^ They're shooting a Riverdale pilot right now with expectations to turn it into a drama series at Fox. The Archie-verse is gearing up to pop soon.
The Japanese do tons of anime series based on high school life. If an animated Archie series was to follow that model, I'd watch it. But live-action? Forget it...unless Betty and Veronica were really really hot!
Old 03-10-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Did Image produce anything better than Valiant in the 90s? Astro City, by about a million degrees. Image also put out Bone, Groo, A Distant Soil and Strangers in Paradise for a while. The Maxx was also a gem, and Savage Dragon was head and shoulders over any of the founders' launch books.

I tried reading Valiant I'm the 90s and the only thing that ever held my interest was Quantum & Woody. The shared universe also made finding an entry point seem intimidating for a casual reader. Things seem to stand more on their own since the recent relaunch, but I haven't been able to make it through an entire issue. I've heard good things about the new series, but the 90s books seem to have poisoned the well for me.
Astro City has changed companies so many times I forgot it was ever linked to Image.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.