Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The First Annual DVDTalk Rotating Company Comic Book Challenge - March 2015

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 07:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
The First Annual DVDTalk Rotating Company Comic Book Challenge - March 2015

A coin flip determined this year to be DC. Next March we'll do Marvel, and eventually figure out if 2017 will be all non DC/Marvel, or a specific company or two, or DC again.

So this month, anything produced or co-produced by DC will count. So don't forget about Vertigo, Wildstorm, and other DC sub-lines; DC/Marvel or other company crossovers; books or magazines devoted to DC; and novels about DC creations. Obvious parodies and homages to DC books, like Marvel's Squadron Supreme books count too.

And if you want to branch out into media, the DVDTalk media Challenge for March is Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery, so most DC animated and live action series would count for that.

Challenge begins February 28th at sunset and ends April 1st at sunrise.

Don't forget about the possibility of comics counting for both Challenges during those dusk to dawn hours at the end/beginning of each month.

The first plan for March spoilered for OCD posterity:
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Like our corresponding media challenge; anything with a genre of Action, Adventure, Crime, or Mystery qualifies. So that probably covers most comic books ever created. Feel free to specialize in one of those genres, or specialize your reading to a publisher, or any creativity you desire.

Challenge begins at dusk on February 28th and ends at dawn on April 1st.
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I've got a bunch of Spirit Archives in my backlog that I'll probably try to work through for this. Also a huge crime comics omni I got at Half Price Books for like $4.

I think there's a new issue of criminal coming out next month. If we're lucky maybe Comixology will have a sale on past issues.
I should probably just delete this thread to avoid any confusion.

Last edited by Trevor; 03-09-15 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 07:56 AM

Re: The First Annual DVDTalk Rotating Company Comic Book Challenge - March 2015

My list spoilered, updated near daily hopefully. Goals are at least 5 physical trades and 50 digital singles.
Spoiler:

01 - Preacher 1
02 - The Spirit - a couple holiday issues
01 - Showcase 80
- The Phantom Stranger
08 - Crisis on Multiple Earths vol 6
09 - Superman:Tales from the Phantom Zone
- Squadron Supreme
09 - The Joker (1975)
06 - Superman: Adventures of the Man of Steel
04 - Batman: Year One
- Tarzan (Kubert archives)
- The Flash
04 - The Brave and the Bold 81, 125, 151, 194
03 - Superfriends treasury
02 - record/comic combos
- Aquaman stuff from the old Adventure
10 - Supergirl tpb
01 - Witching Hour 33
- Teen Titans Go! FCBD
- Teen Titans Go! 1-2
- JLA/Avengers

- total

Last edited by Trevor; 03-31-15 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

March 31
Batman Inc. Vol 2 13

I finished off all my Morrison Batman comics

Total issues read: 107

Spoiler:

March 1
Hellblazer 54-55. I had started reading this trade during the Halloween challenge, then put it aside once November hit. An interesting spin on Jack The Ripper

The Flash Season Zero 3-5: I really love the show, but I'm mostly reading this for the set of Phil Hester. Sadly, he didn't draw issue 5.

March 2
Hellblazer 56

March 3
Hellblazer 57: I think this was Steve Dillion's first issue wih Garth Ennis. I could be wrong.

Batgirl (2011) Annual 1 14-16: I bought the rest of Gail Simone's run during a sale after getting the first two trades for $3 each on Kindle.

March 4
Wednesday Comics 1-2: Well, actually the Batman and Kamandi stories, but the original Wednesday Comics were 12 pages each, one page of each story each week. They're collected by story in the huuuuuge hardcover, so I'll just count each character's story as one issue.

WC was a pretty unique experiment in terms of size and frequency, I wouldn't mind seeing DC try it again.

March 5
Wednesday Comics 3-4: The Superman and Deadman stories. It's interesting how the creators try to tell a complete story in 12 issues. The Batman story seemed very episodic, jumping around to different moments, while Superman and Deadman flowed better. So far Kamandi is the one that feels most like a weekly Sunday comic.

March 6
Wednesday Comics 5: The Green Lantern story. I'm not familiar with the artist, but he fit well with Kurt Busiek's story.
Hellblazer 58-59: 58 wrapped up an arc that demonstrated a recurring weakness of Ennis's work, overuse of coincidence. I get that weird things are always happening around Constantine, but sometimes it seems a bit much.

March 7
Hellblazer 60-61
Final Crisis 1-7
Final Crisis Superman Beyond 1-2
I had heard a lot of "Final Crisis is impossible to understand" complaints, but I didn't find that to be an issue until the last issue. I need to re-read that one when I've had fewer beers.

March 8
Batgirl 17-26: There were 2 issues in here not written by Gail Simone. I was wondering what was up, then remembered she was briefly fired, then quickly rehired. I'm enjoying the tension between Batgirl and Comissioner Gordon In this run.

Wednesday Comics 6-7: the Metamorpho and Teen Titans stories. Titans was meh, but Metamorpho by Gaimen and Allred was a highlight.

March 9-10
Batgirl 27-30. Some weird supernatural stuff in these. Not sure if there was some kind of editorial mandate or what. Especially odd because one of them seemed to be a fill in issue by another writer.

March 11-13
Batgirl Annual 2, 31-32. I've slowed down a bit with my reading this week. I had a few late nights working that have thrown me off.

March 14-15
Batgirl 33-34: More or less finishing off Gail Simone's run. There's still a Futures End issue that I may check out at some point. I've read about half the first issue of the relaunch and I'm curious to read more. I'll wait for a sale.
Batman & Robin 1: I'm going to try to finish off Morrison's Batman run this month. I've read the first 12 issues or so of this series before, but it's been long enough that I had forgotten most of it.

March 16
Batman & Robin 2-4: The shift from Frank Quitely to Phillip Tan was kind of jarring. Professor Pyg was also pretty disturbing.

March 17
Batman & Robin 5-6

March 18
Batman & Robin 7-8.

March 19
Batman & Robin 9-10

March 20
Batman & Robin 11-12. With that, I've finished the physical issues of Morrison's Batman run I own. On to digital!
Flash Season 0 6

March 21
Batman & Robin 13-14
Fables 130-132. Man, it's been a long time since I read Fables.

March 22
Batman & Robin 15-16
Batman Incorporated 1-3 I've really been looking forward to this series. The concept is pretty cool.
Fables 133-34

March 23-24
Batman Incorporated 4-5
Fables 135-136

March 25-27
Batman Incorporated 6-8 and Leviathan Strikes, which I'm counting as 2 issues
Fables 137-140

March 28-29
Batman Inc. Vol 2 1-10, 0 (Not sure why I had been referring to this as Batman Unlimited)
The first Batman/Punisher crossover. 48 pages, so I'm counting it as 2 issues.

March 30
Batman Inc. Vol 2 11-12
The second Batman/Punisher crossover. 48 pages, so I'm counting it as 2 issues.
Wednesday Comics 8, the Adam Strange issue

Last edited by majorjoe23; 04-01-15 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

March 31
Zero Hour #3 Maybe I'm having 'crisis event fatigue' but Zero Hour feels too similar to Infinite Earths only with time instead but even the time aspect is confusing or nonsensical, it seems to focus more on characters I am less familiar with so maybe that is another reason it fails to 'grab' me.

Spoiler:

March 28
Zero Hour #4

March 27
Superman: Red Son #1-3 The soviet aspect didn't seem as relevant as I expected but overall a good Superman story with a stellar Batman battle.

March 26
Future's End 0-1 I can't decide if I hate how corny much of the dialogue is and how much it clones Terminator or admire the scope; could have been much better (so far) but it is cool to see Batman Beyond.
Flashpoint 1-5 Nicely mysterious with disposable elsewhere backdrop but some nice dramatic weight; apparently it helps to know less going it.
Flashpoint: Reverse Flash Backstory from old continuity; I am still trying to figure out if I need to know anything more to prep for Flashpoint
Flash v3 8-12[Road to Flashpoint] - time paradox stuff in Flash seems like the best part yet..
Infinite Crisis 4-7 - nice action packed final act; but it seems too chaotic and manipulated to advance an overarching agenda outside the story itself. Worst 'crisis' yet.

March 25
Infinite Crisis 2-3 - gets more accessible but it's hard to "buy" that the Infinite Earths heroes are suddenly less heroic.

March 24
Infinite Crisis 1 - difficult to understand at first glance without being familiar with all the buildup.
Green Lantern (2005) 36-38 [Rage of the Red Lanterns] - as much as I appreciate good plot twists it feels like there's too much packed in without much buildup.

March 23
Final Crisis 5-7 - I think I get it but there's a lot of plot threads that feel dangling, seems like it would benefit from a second read. It feels like most of the series is about one thing then suddenly there's this other thing.
Batman 682-683 [Final Crisis] - cool reflections on the Batman character reviewing his history with a psychedelic slant, this is the sort of examination I wish would have been in Sinestro Corps Tales.
Final Crisis: Submit + 4 - great apocalyptic vibe using small scale heroes.
Final Crisis: Rise of the Red Lanters - doesn't seem to tie into Final Crisis, feels redundant and like "too much" following Sinestro Corps War.

March 22
Final Crisis: Rogue's Revenge #1-3 - builds nicely on recent Flash events highlighting the complexities with The Rogues with brutal but interesting character development that sets The Rogues as central in Final Crisis (though they may not reappear).
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond #1-2 - interesting mix of hard to follow tidbits that build together nicely, goes from being wonderfully abstract to sort of "oh... that" plus the Superman worship seems like "too much."
Final Crisis #1-3 - there are a lot of dangling subplots, maybe it would have helped to read Countdown first, nice sci fi craziness but the narration feels fragmented with vignettes not as fleshed out.
DC Universe #0
Green Lantern (2006) #26-28 - a lot of stuff has happened quickly over this title; Alpha Lanterns feels redundant hampering new ideas rather than building on them but some of the mortality dissection is good.

March 21
Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Ion [Sinestro Corps War] - the new Ion character is one of my least favorite things from Sinestro Corps War
Green Lantern Corps (2006) #18 [Sinestro Corps War]
Green Lantern (2005) #25 [Sinestro Corps War] - epic conclusion to the storyline, which was altogether a nice highlight.
Green Lantern Corps (2006) #17-18 [Sinestro Corps War]
Green Lantern (2005) #24 [Sinestro Corps War]

March 20
Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman Prime [Sinestro Corps War] - the Superman tales are general character reviews filled with spoilers and not introducing much new.
Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Cyborg Superman [Sinestro Corps War]
Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Parallax [Sinestro Corps War] - disposable but nice character development
Green Lantern Corps (2006) #16 [Sinestro Corps War]
Green Lantern (2005) #23 [Sinestro Corps War]

March 19
Green Lantern Corps (2006) #15 [Sinestro Corps War] - Sinestro Corps Wars has been really gripping, great stuff.
Green Lantern (2005) #22 [Sinestro Corps War]
Green Lantern Corps (2006) #14 [Sinestro Corps War]
Green Lantern (2005) #21 [Sinestro Corps War]

March 18
Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special [Sinestro Corps War] - builds nicely off of the Rebirth arc.
Green Lantern: Rebirth #1-6 - wow, this was some of the best stuff I'd read in a while...

March 17
Crisis on Infinite Earths #10-12 - filled with fun mindbending twists, if felt like the storyline ended before it did but this provided a compelling epilogue.

March 16
Crisis on Infinite Earths #8-9 - I love all the twists the series has taken evolving to epic scale; issues 8 was not as "epic" as I had anticipated, but seemed to pay off more later on.

March 15
Crisis on Infinite Earths #6-7 - an impactful story with nice progress some of the deadending plot threads that refer you back to a tangential comic are annoying. The Supergirl bit was great.

March 14
Crisis on Infinite Earths #5 - awesome when the villain reveal only confirms what you already knew about the story; nice material about multiple realities/times merging.

March 13
The Flash v1 #123 - fun retro sci-fi meta spin connecting old and new Flashs.
Crisis on Infinite Earths #4 - story picks up but remains mysterious.

March 12
The Flash v2 #91 - interesting twist on hero morality.
The Flash v2 #56 - cute story with a challenging premise.

March 11
Crisis on Infinite Earths #3 - gets a tad bogged down in showcasing multiverse stuff.Crisis on Infinite Earths #2 - nice scope showing distant past to far future.

March 10
Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 - it feels weighty and like a lot is going on with a sci-fi precision. I'm not as familiar with DC comics so might be missing some stuff but good mystery and scope with nice writing. I think I understand DC's 'continuity be damned' multi-verse angle a little better.
Adventures of Superman #497 [Death of Superman trade] - overall the Death of Superman storyline feels drawn out and too abrupt despite it's epic impact, in retrospect I think the mysterious 4 Superman following it were more interesting but don't have access to those issues to re-read.
Superman: The Man of Steel (1991) #19 [Death of Superman trade]
Action Comics #683 [Death of Superman trade]
Superman (1987) #75 [Death of Superman trade] - the bookend issue was dramatic with nice whole page graphics and good writing then just sort of ended.

March 9
Justice League of America (1987) #69 [Death of Superman trade] - strange to see an odd b-list Justice League team and the issue throws everything at making Doomsday look too perhaps too far to the extreme.
Superman (1987) #74 [Death of Superman trade] - nicely turning back to the Superman on Doomsday action with a interesting focus on parallel citizens in trouble.

March 8
Superman: The Man of Steel (1991) #18 [Death of Superman trade] - slow start with some unintentionally funny Doomsday rage.

March 7
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 3-4 - uses future context nicely with good twists and interplay between Batman and Superman.

March 5
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 2 - meh, some of elements here have been rehashed and feel redundant; the focus on Commissioner Gordon is nice. New Robin feels too abrupt without backstory or obvious motive.

March 1
Green Lantern (1990) 48-50 - crams a lot of stuff into just three issues so while a great idea doesn't feel as deep a look into Hal's psyche as I'd prefer.
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 1 - interesting mix of media subtext, aging, and redemption; weighty.

Issues read: 95

Last edited by Undeadcow; 04-01-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I'll take a spot here. Have plenty of DC from recent IST purchases.

The Viking Prince
Green Arrow Mike Grell TPB vol. 2

Last edited by davidh777; 04-01-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.Final Crisis tpb
2. Flashpoint tpb
2.1 Grodd of War
2.2 Green Arrow Industries
2.3 Reverse Flash
2.4 The Canterbury Cricket
2.5 Secret Seven 1-3
3. Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew 1
Justice League -Flashpoint Paradox - bluray
4. Death of Superman - tpb
Superman: Doomsday - bluray
5.Crossover Classics vol 1tpb
5.1 Superman/Spiderman vs. Lex Luthor/Doc Oc
5.2 Superman/Spiderman vs Parasite and Doc Doom
6.Aquaman 39
7.Voodoo 0-12 complete
8. forever Evil 1-7
8.1 arkham war 1-6
8.2 Rogues Rebellion 1-6
8.3 A.R.G.U.S. 1-6
9.Suiciders 1
10. Justice League of America 1-5
11. Justice League of America v1 1
12.Hitman vol 1 TPB
Justice League Crisis on Two earths bluray
13. Villains Month
13.1 Cyborg Superman
13.2 Zod
13.3 Lex Luthor
13.4 First Born
13.5 Cheetah
14.Lobo 1-6 n52
15.Supergirl 1-5 n52
16. Deathstroke n52 1-20
17. Deathstroke n52 v2 1-6
18. Futures End 0-6

Last edited by terrycloth; 03-29-15 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 06:49 AM

Almost forgot about the cross-Challenge double counting possibilities! Sorry all, should mention that in the OPs from now on. I wake up hours before sunrise, and remembered, so read a few double qualifiers this morning.

Finally starting reading the digital Preacher series that I bought all of last year. I had read the first issue before, and loved it, but keep putting off the entire series for some reason. Maybe this month.

Then, since I began the Eisner Challenge with the great Will Eisner, I finished with him as well, reading a couple issues of The Spirit. Seems weird counting it as DC, but I guess they publish/distribute it now. Love each one I read, debating whether to finish my hardcover collection of just go digital on it.
Old 03-01-15, 02:34 PM

Crap. Totally forgot we had already started a March thread with the plan to follow Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery. I cut and pasted it into the OP here and asked for that thread to be deleted.

My memory is weakening. I must have read too many comic books lately.
Old 03-01-15, 03:01 PM

^ Thanks for the delete Geofferson!
Old 03-01-15, 04:12 PM

Oh! Our first sticky. Should have been a Spider-Man Challenge.

I hate weekends on the forum, so slow around here....
Old 03-01-15, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All must be busy reading!
Old 03-02-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The sticky threw me off, I was looking up and down the page for this thread and finally searched my own posts.

Not that I'm complaining, the sticky is great.
Old 03-02-15, 08:27 AM

The sticky threw me off, I was looking up and down the page for this thread and finally searched my own posts.

Not that I'm complaining, the sticky is great.
Yeah, took me a minute too. I actually hate sticky threads. Must of them here seem to be read once and forget forever sort of things, so my eyes just skip everything at the top of each forum.
Old 03-02-15, 02:06 PM

If we won't necessarily be posting new updates/discussion daily then the sticky might help keep the thread easy to find least it sink to page 2+ before a month.
Old 03-02-15, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
If we won't necessarily be posting new updates/discussion daily then the sticky might help keep the thread easy to find least it sink to page 2+ before a month.
True. Although, unfortunately, we still have threads from December on page 1.
Old 03-02-15, 02:18 PM

And wait, I hope we still have discussion daily. It's just that the lists probably look better in one post.
Old 03-03-15, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a big Joker sale going on at Comixology, if anyone is looking for something to read.
Old 03-03-15, 07:54 AM

There's a big Joker sale going on at Comixology, if anyone is looking for something to read.
I already owned about half of it from previous Batman sales, might as well get the rest.
Old 03-03-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a grain fart i spent yesterday reading hawkeye to get caught up before Lemires run. I think the dc marvel cross overs screwed me up
Old 03-03-15, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by terrycloth
I had a grain fart i spent yesterday reading hawkeye to get caught up before Lemires run. I think the dc marvel cross overs screwed me up
This brings up a good point about the potential for wild cards.
Old 03-03-15, 03:54 PM

Hmmm. I'm not sure about 'whatever goes' sort of wildcards, but I am intrigued by the idea.

Maybe something like Marvel's Squadron Supreme counting this month since it was created as a Justice League homage (or whatever the word I'm looking for is).
Old 03-03-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by terrycloth
I had a grain fart...
Those are always fragrant.
Old 03-03-15, 04:36 PM

I think Terry is too young for grain alcohol, especially if it's .. well, I'll stop while I'm behind.
Old 03-05-15, 09:03 AM

Hmmm. I'm not sure about 'whatever goes' sort of wildcards, but I am intrigued by the idea.

Maybe something like Marvel's Squadron Supreme counting this month since it was created as a Justice League homage (or whatever the word I'm looking for is).
Any other thoughts on wildcards before it gets too late into the Challenge?

I'm almost ready to go ahead and say that Squadron Supreme and other obvious DC book paradise parodies or homages can count this month.

Last edited by Trevor; 03-05-15 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Oops, darn autocorrect
Old 03-05-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'll take part. Thanks for pointing this out Trevor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.