Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Just Got a New Wii U

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Just Got a New Wii U

So, I was just given a 32gb Wii U with no games or accessories other than what comes with the system. I haven't really kept up with what's on the Wii U, but I have always been a fan of Nintendo. I plan on purchasing Skyward Sword and Wind Waker HD because I'm a huge Zelda fan, but do these games ever go on sale? The used and new prices are identical, and I haven't seen either cheaper than 50 in the week or so I have been checking prices.

What are the other Wii U must haves? What are the accessories I need to get to fully enjoy the systems and games? Should I add Homebrew? I did do that for the original Wii, but then didn't do much with it. Basically, what now? I literally have nothing to play on this thing.
Old 02-11-15, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Just Got a New Wii U

Welcome to the club.

I just got mine back in November. I usually buy Nintendo systems at launch, but given the initial mess the Wii U was in I held off until there were some games I wanted.

In the time I've been shopping for games, aside from holiday sales (I got Mario Kart 8 for $35 at Amazon in December) it's rare to get them for a good discount off retail. The Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked is your best bet for discounts on every title.

As for game recommendations, my suggestions would be (based off of what I've played and own):

Bayonetta 2
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors (a hack-and-slash game where you play as Link)
LEGO City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

I'm sure others will chime in. There are still quite a few titles that I want but haven't played yet.

I'd also suggest picking up Wind Waker HD sooner rather than later. A few games for the system have gone out-of-print physically and are only available digitally at this point (Pikmin 3 being the most glaring example), and it looks to be next. Toys 'R' Us and GameStop no longer sell it new.

I can't speak for the homebrew games, but I hear Shovel Knight is excellent.

In terms of accessories, I really like the Pro Controller over the tablet. It keeps a longer charge (but isn't compatible with all games). If you get Smash Bros., invest in the game/controller/adapter combo pack (assuming you don't have an extra GameCube controller lying around). They're hard to find at the moment, but I personally couldn't imagine playing the game without a GCN controller.
Old 02-12-15, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Do you already have a PS4 and/or X1?
Old 02-12-15, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I already own a PS4 and XB1.
Old 02-12-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

My top 3:

1.) Pikmin 3
2.) Rayman: Legends - makes great use of the tablet, plus it's a brilliant game
3.) Sonic Racing Transformed - skip the de-evolved for toddlers Mario Kart franchise. Mario is definitely prettier, but Sonic was way more fun.

The last 'pretty good' console Zelda game was Wind Waker so that's a safe bet. I only made it a few hours into Skyward before dumping it.

All the Mario games are solid but none stand out above the rest. Galaxy 1&2 are better than any of the Mario games on the WiiU.
Old 02-12-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Yes, I already own a PS4 and XB1.
I only ask because as somebody who can't seem to NOT own every new console, I bought a Wii U against my better judgement and have spent a total of maybe an hour - solo - playing it. My kids get good use from the system and we play some games as a family --- and the Wii U excels at that. I'll be interested to see if it turns into a $250 paperweight for you in 3 months or so.
Old 02-12-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I will agree that it's a great system for either kids to play or to have kids watch you play; not because they're all kiddie games, but because nintendo makes a lot of great family oriented games. Outside of cross platform stuff like the lego games or Skylanders/Infinity, there are very few games I'd play on the other systems with my kids around. That being said, don't play Bayonetta 2 with the kids around...

Also, don't get caught up in the amiibo hype, it'll just drive you crazy.
Old 02-12-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I only ask because as somebody who can't seem to NOT own every new console, I bought a Wii U against my better judgement and have spent a total of maybe an hour - solo - playing it. My kids get good use from the system and we play some games as a family --- and the Wii U excels at that. I'll be interested to see if it turns into a $250 paperweight for you in 3 months or so.
The paperweight aspect is what took me so long to pick this up in the first place, and I also wasn't thrilled at the price. It was a paperweight for my sister's family, which is why she gave it to me. I'm not going to turn down free.

I absolutely love Nintendo first party games. I don't think I can get tired of Mario and Zelda. I just wasn't sure what else to pick up.

As an aside, Skyward Sword was a Wii game that I never ended up playing on the Wii. Do I need a Wii controller?
Old 02-12-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just picked up Wind Waker and Skyward Sword off Amazon because these are the 2 games I was really looking forward to playing. I can borrow Mario 3D from a friend so that works.

Looks like I have to buy Bayonetta 2 (never played the first) and Pikmin 3 (never played any Pikmin games) and I think I will have a good start. Hopefully I find some deals on those games because 50 each for Wind Waker and Skyward Sword was more than I have paid for any game on the PS4 or XB1 so far.
Old 02-12-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you get the Club Nintendo codes entered at club.nintendo.com by the end of March, shouldn't be too hard to get enough points for the Wonderful 101 and a platinum award.
Old 02-12-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Bayonetta 2 comes with Bayonetta 1. If you like Devil May Cry, you'll probably like it, though there's a lot of crude humor and swearing, and it's super over the top.

You do need a wii controller to play wii games.