Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Aloha (2015, D: Cameron Crowe) S: Cooper, Stone, McAdams, Murray, Baldwin, Krasinski

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Aloha (2015, D: Cameron Crowe) S: Cooper, Stone, McAdams, Murray, Baldwin, Krasinski

Old 02-11-15, 08:33 PM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts

“Sometimes you have to say goodbye before you can say hello.” Fortunately, Aloha means both on the islands. Here’s our first look at writer-director Cameron Crowe’s Hawaii-set romantic comedy with a few actors you might have heard of. a defense contractor (Cooper) who falls for an Air Force pilot (Stone) after he is assigned to oversee the launch of a weapons satellite from Hawaii. Bradley Cooper stars as a celebrated military contractor who falls from grace but gets a second chance. He returns to Honolulu and reconnects with an old flame (Rachel McAdams) while unexpectedly falling for the Air Force watchdog (Emma Stone) assigned to him. Bill Murray, John Krasinski, Danny McBride and Alec Baldwin co-star in the pic produced by Crowe and Scott Rudin. Columbia Pictures and Regency Enterprises originally had set a Christmas 2014 date for Aloha, but last summer it got pushed back to May 29. Have a look.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D273Tiea-IQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-11-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Aloha (2015, D: Cameron Crowe) S: Cooper, Stone, McAdams, Murray, Baldwin, Krasin

According to the Sony hacked emails, this is supposed to be an absolute disaster of a movie.
Old 02-11-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Aloha (2015, D: Cameron Crowe) S: Cooper, Stone, McAdams, Murray, Baldwin, Krasin

Old 02-11-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I wish I could believe this will get Cameron out of his post-Almost Famous slump, but the trailer just isn't doing it for me at all. I actually enjoyed "Elizabethtown" but "We Bought A Zoo" was a snore. I hope he's got his mojo back.
Old 02-12-15, 08:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

"Romantic comedy" two words that kill more movies for me than anything else.
Old 02-12-15, 08:50 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I liked "We Bought a Zoo." Although, "Elizabethtown" is an absolute trainwreck.

Keep in mind, this is Cameron Crowe. So he carefully selected the soundtrack prior to writing a script, so everything will be formed around the hipster music.
Old 02-12-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Same here. Given the nature of the trailer, they should just hold off and release it around next Christmas or Thanksgiving. It just doesn't seem right for the summer. Even if it is in Hawaii, the Christmas aspect is looming rather large.
Old 02-12-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

If you would have told 2000-2001 version of me that Cameron Crowe was making a movie in my hometown I would have lost my shit over the news. While another personal favorite of mine (Alexander Payne) got absolutely every single thing right with his Hawaii movie, it looks like Crowe has no clue about Hawaii except that it's pretty. I guess some of that can be explained away in that it's based in the military's world which is much more Caucasian and Mainland than the rest of the state. Still except for the pretty locations, nothing in that trailer felt authentically Hawaiian. Bet he doesn't even use Hawaiian music outside of a hula or luau scene. Also his career trajectory is a fascinating upside down "V" with Almost Famous in the peak and a steady downward slide ever since.
Disappointing. Will still probably watch it though, even if it's just out of passing curiosity.
Old 05-28-15, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This is getting dreadful reviews - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/aloha_2015/

14% so far.
Old 05-29-15, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Poor Cameron. I don't know what's happened to him - his run from Say Anything right through Almost Famous is one of my favorite filmmaker streaks, and I still highly liked the flawed Elizabethtown and Vanilla Sky, but he seems to have lost his mojo for good. I don't even know if I'd check this one out when it hits Netflix, the trailers and reviews make it sound like a painful slog.
Old 05-29-15, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I also can't believe what's happened to Cameron Crowe. I remember he was a must-see at one time.

This looks awful, even though it does have a good cast. This looks like something I wouldn't watch until it came on HBO.
Old 05-29-15, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Poor Cameron. I don't know what's happened to him.
It seems like he lost his Heart.
Old 05-29-15, 08:39 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
It seems like he lost his Heart.
My thoughts exactly. Cruel, but funny.
Old 05-29-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

I'd say it's very spot-on if it weren't for Elizabethtown coming before that.

And I dunno, I Bought A Zoo was his attempt at a family film and it worked fine for what it was. Aloha seems to be his only true complete dud, even Elizabethtown had a few decent moments.

As a big fan of Abres Los Ojos, I really enjoyed Vanilla Sky even if it felt oddly bloated.
Old 05-29-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love all the actors in this so it will at least be a rental, but greatly disappointed its getting lambasted by the critics. Would have loved to have a date night with the wife.
Old 05-29-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Filmmaker Cameron Crowe can't catch a break with Aloha, a Hawaii-set romcom that is a handful of stories struggling for a unifying tone, but is nowhere near as toxic as its advance buzz." - Rolling Stone

"It comes at us in choppy bursts of brilliance and dopiness. That is at once its great charm and its great curse." - NY Magazine / Vulture

"Aloha is a great-looking movie with just enough bright spots to get us past the cloudy moments." Richard Roeper

"None of this "works." But it usually worked on me." - Grandland

"At heart, it's just a romantic comedy, slightly above average in this stagnant genre."
Old 05-29-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
"Filmmaker Cameron Crowe can't catch a break with Aloha, a Hawaii-set romcom that is a handful of stories struggling for a unifying tone, but is nowhere near as toxic as its advance buzz." - Rolling Stone
Considering it's from Peter Travers, not sure if "nowhere near as toxic as its advance buzz" will appear on the BD/DVD artwork.
Old 05-29-15, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Considering it's from Peter Travers, not sure if "nowhere near as toxic as its advance buzz" will appear on the BD/DVD artwork.
"... a Hawaii-set romcom that is a handful of stories..." -Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
Old 05-29-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 805 Likes on 594 Posts

I made the unfortunate decision to go watch this today. My Aunt wanted to go see it and I tried to convince her to watch Pitch Perfect 2 instead, but I couldn't. I actually liked the love triangle, but that was mainly due to Bradley Cooper, Rachel McAdams, Emma Stone, and John Krasinski. Bill Murray was wasted in this. On a positive note, Rachel McAdams and Emma Stone looked great. After the movie was over, my aunt said "This Sucks". I agree. I feel like I wasted 7 dollars...
Old 05-29-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
"... a Hawaii-set romcom that is a handful of stories..." -Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Speaking of which, has a movie ever used a quote out of context?
Old 05-29-15, 09:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the best you can get certified hack and quote whore Peter Travers to say about your movie is that the film isn't as bad as the 14% rating it has on Rotten Tomatoes, you know you've made a complete stinker.

Something is wrong when you can tell from the poster that the movie is going to be a bland, forgettable slog:

Old 05-29-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sometimes you have to say goodbye before you can say hello.

Originally Posted by Defiant1
According to the Sony hacked emails, this is supposed to be an absolute disaster of a movie.
Sounds like the e-mails were right.
Old 05-29-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Sometimes you have to say goodbye before you can say hello.
What in the fuck does that mean? Even for a marketing tagline, that makes no sense.
Old 05-29-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably something along the lines of closing one door before opening another.
Old 05-29-15, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It means sometimes you have to ditch your bitch to find something better. Duh.

Yeah I got nothing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.