Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

If I want to play classic Nintendo N64, SNES, etc games, whats my BEST option?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-10-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every so often I get this kick to play Zelda OOT, or the original Donkey Kong Countries.....All those different Mario Karts.... Starfox 64 would be nice, maybe even other console games like Earhtworm Jim or Contra. How can I do this? Ironically I own all these games but my N64 or SNES or genesis no longer work. The games are just sitting there in storage. But Id rather have them in one place. On a hand held system or TV plug in. Any ideas for me?
Old 01-10-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: If I want to play classic Nintendo N64, SNES, etc games, whats my BEST option?

Easiest way is to download the games, an emulator, and either use the keyboard or buy a USB SNES or N64 controller. I bought a USB SNES controller from Amazon for $10 and it works great.
Old 01-10-15, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: If I want to play classic Nintendo N64, SNES, etc games, whats my BEST option?

http://hyperkin.com/Retron5/
Old 01-10-15, 07:29 PM

Hey The Cow, that's neat. Didn't know something like that existed!! Hmm that's something to look into, but....

JCW, instead of a computer, could they be downloaded to a handheld device like the psp or ds?
Old 01-10-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could get an OUYA. It's technically a console that you have to plug into a TV, but it's only about as big as a Rubik's cube. It's awesome for emulating old games. I have the entire NES/Super NES/Genesis/TurboGrafx16/etc libraries on mine. Literally 5000+ games.
Old 01-10-15, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 19K
You could get an OUYA. It's technically a console that you have to plug into a TV, but it's only about as big as a Rubik's cube. It's awesome for emulating old games. I have the entire NES/Super NES/Genesis/TurboGrafx16/etc libraries on mine. Literally 5000+ games.
Holy Moly. Does it already come emulated or do I have to have some one do that?
Old 01-10-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It has a "store" in its interface. You have to download the emulator for whatever system you want to emulate (they're all free). Then you just have to go online and find the ROMs of whatever game you want to play. Those older games are so small that entire collections can fit on a simple USB stick. Here's a video showing the basic gist of it...

http://youtu.be/T97Om33ijh4
Old 01-11-15, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 19K
It has a "store" in its interface. You have to download the emulator for whatever system you want to emulate (they're all free). Then you just have to go online and find the ROMs of whatever game you want to play. Those older games are so small that entire collections can fit on a simple USB stick. Here's a video showing the basic gist of it...

http://youtu.be/T97Om33ijh4
Thanks! This looks like the route to go!

Seems like a popular player. Its sold out on there own website. Don't think Ive seen that before lol.

Last edited by Ravenous; 01-12-15 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure how popular it is in the video game world, but I love mine. It's definitely awesome for Retro gaming. I bought mine for that sole purpose because I'm a NES freak. It's HDMI to your TV, so the games look better than they ever did. You'll be amazed when you fire up Contra for the first time and see how crystal clear everything is. The only thing bad I can say about my OUYA, is the controller it comes with isn't the greatest. But it is Bluetooth, so believe it or not a PS3 controller works with it too (I'm sure there are others, I just haven't researched it all that much). And pretty much every emulator for each system gives you the ability to assign the buttons on the controllers so you can set it up how you like (ie the extra buttons on the modern controllers can be used for turbo/saving games/reset/etc)

Last edited by 19K; 01-12-15 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Wish I would have picked up the Ouya when it was $65 on Amazon a few months back!
Old 01-12-15, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

aren't a lot of those available for download on Wii or WiiU?
Old 01-12-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For me personally, I prefer to play "legit" copies (either physical or digital) if they are available. Some of the games listed are available on Wii U's or 3DS's Virtual Console, and some (like Zelda: OOT and StarFox 64) were remastered for 3DS.

That can cause roadblocks though if you're looking for old school games that aren't officially available anywhere. I ended up ordering the cartridge for Contra, and the Donkey Kong Country games were pulled from the Virtual Console at one point (not sure why).

If you don't have an issue with using ROMs, the other suggestions are likely better, ha...
Old 01-12-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K
I'm not sure how popular it is in the video game world, but I love mine. It's definitely awesome for Retro gaming. I bought mine for that sole purpose because I'm a NES freak. It's HDMI to your TV, so the games look better than they ever did. You'll be amazed when you fire up Contra for the first time and see how crystal clear everything is. The only thing bad I can say about my OUYA, is the controller it comes with isn't the greatest. But it is Bluetooth, so believe it or not a PS3 controller works with it too (I'm sure there are others, I just haven't researched it all that much). And pretty much every emulator for each system gives you the ability to assign the buttons on the controllers so you can set it up how you like (ie the extra buttons on the modern controllers can be used for turbo/saving games/reset/etc)
Thanks for this feedback. I've been considering getting one just for this very reason.
Old 01-12-15, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually own over 500 NES cartridges and 3 working NES's (along with a crapload of controllers and accessories). That being said, I'd rather play those games on my OUYA. They really do look 1000% better... and you don't have to waste time getting the stupid cartridge to read, or worry about random freeze-ups (both of which were a problem when the NES was relevant, never mind 30 years later). When I bought my OUYA, I was initially leaning towards the Retron 5 so I could play the actual cartridge. But it got delayed so many times, and I then I read they also have issues with the carts (too tight, not reading, etc), so I'm very happy I went with the OUYA. It works flawlessly 100% of the time.

Another cool thing is there are a lot of homebrew ROMs out there, which work perfectly fine on a OUYA. You can't play them on an actual NES unless you flash them onto a chip and have a donor cart, which is a much more advanced process. Retron 5 doesn't support homebrews at all, I believe.
Old 01-12-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Seconded. It's a great device.
Old 01-12-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use a softmodded Wii, which works pretty well, but Wii doesn't have HDMI, so OUYA is technically better.

One caveat though, with the Wii, all of those Wii Classic Controllers work, and they are pretty great for retro gaming.
Old 01-12-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

There's also the benefit of playing Import titles through emulation. Games that never had an American port. This is good for plat formers and action games. there's even classic games that were different than the U.S. version. Mario 3 is much harder in the JP version.
I use a softmodded Wii and it works great.
O
Old 01-12-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

And sometimes you can even find import roms that some really cool person has taken the liberty of translating into English. I played the original versions of Final Fantasy II and III on NES, and V on SNES this way.
Old 01-12-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
There's also the benefit of playing Import titles through emulation. Games that never had an American port. This is good for plat formers and action games.

Start with Magical Pop'n (Super Famicom), one of the best platformers I've ever played that never got a SNES release in the west.
Old 01-12-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Seconded. It's a great device.
Not according to the Amazon review it isn't.
Old 01-12-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I just got my parents a Retro Bit Super Retro Trio for Christmas. It plays all the old NES, SNES, and Genesis. I think its a pretty good console for the most part but the controllers aren't the greatest. I'd much prefer to use the classic controllers personally. The only other gripe I have with it is that the system really likes to hug the cartridges tightly and they're sort of hard to remove. Other than that it seems to work fine and my parents seem to like it pretty well.
Old 01-12-15, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

if you are willing to put a little more effort into it, you can build a raspberry pi box to run your emulators. Cables, motherboard, case, and controller will run you about $70. It's also an HDMI interface, so it should look pretty nice. Details here:
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-yo...sole-498561192
Old 01-13-15, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

I picked up an Ouya off Ebay last night. I had been leaning on the fence for so long... glad I did it. I have a Mame cabinet, but running this thru the HDTV should be awesome. I'm glad this thread was started.
Old 01-13-15, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My only concern with the OUYA is the controllers. First, I hear mixed reviews, and second, I'm not confident that I'll be able to pick up a replacement in 5 years.
Old 01-13-15, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
if you are willing to put a little more effort into it, you can build a raspberry pi box to run your emulators. Cables, motherboard, case, and controller will run you about $70. It's also an HDMI interface, so it should look pretty nice. Details here:
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-yo...sole-498561192
I built something similar on the Pi, they work well, I need to find a cartridge reader that will work with it -- I know they're out there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.