Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I binge Deadwood, despite never having a series ending?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I am binge watching Mad Men right now (absolutely love it), and I am trying to figure out the next show I will binge after I am done?

HBO OnDemand has all of the Deadwood Seasons for free, so I was thinking of starting that next. I remember it always got great reviews, but I believe HBO never let them do a proper series ending?

Is it still worth it to watch (no spoilers please), or is it anti-climatic because they were never able to end it on their terms?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-14, 07:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Should I binge Deadwood, despite never having a series ending?

I'm not sure what the answer is, but it has to have at least two Fs in it.
Old 12-29-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to say, as much as I loved watching Deadwood as it aired, knowing that we'll never get a clear resolution to the show has severely diminished my desire to revisit it (no matter how cheap the blu sets happen to be going for).
Old 12-29-14, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
I have to say, as much as I loved watching Deadwood as it aired, knowing that we'll never get a clear resolution to the show has severely diminished my desire to revisit it (no matter how cheap the blu sets happen to be going for).
Why was it cancelled as everyone I know who watched it really loved it. Were the ratings that bad in the last season?
Old 12-29-14, 08:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Poor ratings plus expensive to produce.
Old 12-29-14, 09:37 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I had a very similar experience to what you're contemplating so here are my thoughts:

I recently watched it over a couple weeks via Amazon Prime Instant Video and it was my first time watching it, aside from the first few episodes I caught when they originally aired (at the time, it was okay but I didn't dig it). I went into it knowing there wasn't a true ending of the series and decided not to let it deter me.

Pros:
Spoiler:
- I really liked the series overall and it was fun having something really good on for a couple weeks.
- The performances are top-notch.
- The world building is really great.
- I'm a big Justified fan and it was fun to see Timothy Olyphant in a similar-yet-different role.

Cons:
Spoiler:
- Season two felt like a long, slow burn to... not much. I can't even remember what the big finale was for it, just that it felt like it took forever to get there. Things just don't... happen in season two.
- Because of that, half of season two and most of season three became background TV while I was working on something else, rather than my being really pulled in like during season one.
- Characters seem to shift their personalities quite a bit in seasons 2-3, to the point it's like they're completely different people without reason given for their motivations.
- Finally, the anti-ending is a real bummer. Everything will just hang there. Forever. AND, if you know even a little history, the people who you wish would get their comeuppance in the show don't in history so I'm not even sure what they could have built to, given a proper farewell.

I'm glad I watched it. No real desire to watch it again. Still, I'd recommend it and if it holds your attention, stick with it.
Old 12-29-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motherfuck yes plus two San Francisco cock suckers say you need to watch that shit right the fuck now, fuck no ending or whatnot. Seriously, Ian McShane's portrayal of Ellis Albert "Al" Swearengen is worth it alone.
Old 12-29-14, 11:48 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Everything I said, plus what van der graaf said.
Old 12-29-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

You don't have to "binge" it, but yes watch the whole series, take your time with it if you need. Still one of my top shows, despite not having an ending.
Old 12-29-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I would go with Carnivale, personally.
Old 12-29-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

While it doesn't really have an ending, it doesn't really have any major cliffhangers, either...you'll be fine. Go ahead and watch it.
Old 12-29-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
You don't have to "binge" it, but yes watch the whole series, take your time with it if you need. Still one of my top shows, despite not having an ending.
Agreed.
Not a bad step made by any actor in it.
Old 12-29-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hell Yes. Definite watch.
Old 12-29-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

It's a great show, but it's not one to binge.

Each episode takes place over the course of one day, and it's not particularly fast moving, nor does it really build up to anything (which is why not having an "ending" isn't too big a deal). The reason you should watch it but shouldn't binge it is because the show is really fucking dense. Something like 24 can be binged easily, since there's really nothing to think about. Deadwood is full of meaning, subtleties, nuance, and those scripts, my god, the dialog! If anything, you should watch each episode two or three times before moving on to the next, just so you catch all the brilliance coming out of each character's mouth.
Old 12-29-14, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Absol-fucking-utely.

Cocksucker.
Old 12-29-14, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch it for sure. This talk has now made me want to revisit. Such a great show and way too forgotten.
Old 12-30-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Did Solid Snake write the show or something??? I must be missing some inside joke with all the cussing... I have been contemplating this as well however I am not sure I want to invest that much time in a show that does not end.
Old 12-30-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Watch it. And yes, it has more cursing in one episode than all of Solid Snake's post history combined.
Old 12-30-14, 10:45 AM
Banned

The open-endedness of the show didn't bother us. Not like it ended on a cliffhanger.

That said, I thought the show dragged somewhat in the second and third seasons. I honestly feel that if Milch had known in advance that he would only have three seasons, a lot of the Shakespearean monologues from secondary characters which didn't move the plot along (and I'm not including Swearengen, Jane, Farnum, etc. doing their hilarious ruminations) would have been jettisoned in order to get on with the show.

There's way too much sitting around at night contemplating what might happen, IMHO. And that would be true even if the show had gotten its planned final season.

The first season, on the other hand, is a master class in pacing and characterization.

Agree that there's no need to binge-watch. Savor it.
Old 12-30-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Did Solid Snake write the show or something??? I must be missing some inside joke with all the cussing... I have been contemplating this as well however I am not sure I want to invest that much time in a show that does not end.
Why all the Profanity in Deadwood? See here (no spoilers, but a few funny/clever lines revealed):

http://movies.stackexchange.com/ques...ty-in-deadwood
Old 12-30-14, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by van der graaf
Why all the Profanity in Deadwood? See here (no spoilers, but a few funny/clever lines revealed):

http://movies.stackexchange.com/ques...ty-in-deadwood
Also, when one looks at novels of the time, the prevalence of censored words such as "d__d" (or just "d_") and expressions such as "Go to H__"! (or "to the devil") show what was considered shocking then just wouldn't have the same impact today, especially since little kids say far worse in movies & tv shows, often with little more than a mild scolding (if not utter bemusement).

I like the observation that a lot of comments that would have been considered blasphemous then would make the characters sound like Yosemite Sam if used today. Of course, I'm not totally convinced since interviews with Milch sound as though a lot of the "shocking" words meant to convey the "lawlessness" of Deadwood culture seem to show up regularly in his casual conversations.
Old 12-30-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Still very much worth watching IMO.
Old 12-30-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Same answer as "should you breathe some air today?"

One of TVs all time high points. And best dialogue in any show, ever.
Old 12-31-14, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic show. Certainly up there with my very favorites. Sure it doesn't have a real ending but if you want to know what happened, read a history book (in fact there are a few good "wiki" type sites on the internet explaining it).
Old 01-06-15, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Go ahead and try. I made it to about halfway through the third season, it was just so slow and I couldn't take the dialogue any more.

Watch this video, and it is not far from the truth:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f31PLcCXD0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.