Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

David Fincher & James Ellroy Developing 1950s LA Private Detective show for HBO

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-19-14, 12:02 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

HBO seems to be in the Fincher business. This is the 3rd show he will be involved with.

Following months of speculation, I’ve learned that HBO has closed deals for a noir drama series project from Gone Girl director David Fincher and L.A. Confidential writer James Ellroy. Written by Ellroy, Shakedown, now in development, is set in the tabloid world and the underbelly of Los Angeles in the 1950s and centers on a real-life private detective. It is inspired by the life of legendary 1950s Hollywood vice cop-turned-private eye Fred Otash.

This is an original drama project by Ellroy and not an adaptation of his 2012 novella Shakedown, which also features a fictionalized version of Otash. The drama is based on a script Ellroy originally developed at FX with a different producing team. Fincher and Ellroy are executive producing the HBO project alongside Joshua Donen, Clark Peterson, and Steven Hoban.

Fincher and Ellroy are reteaming after Fincher was attached to a miniseries adaptation of Ellroy’s novel The Black Dahlia years ago, before the book took a route to the big screen instead.
http://deadline.com/2014/12/david-fi...bo-1201329645/
Old 12-19-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Re: David Fincher & James Ellroy Developing 1950s LA Private Detective show for HBO

Considering how Frank Darabont's MOB CITY crashed and burned, I'm surprised at the interest...of course, you can do a lot more on HBO than you can on TNT.
Old 12-19-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: David Fincher & James Ellroy Developing 1950s LA Private Detective show for HBO

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Considering how Frank Darabont's MOB CITY crashed and burned, I'm surprised at the interest...of course, you can do a lot more on HBO than you can on TNT.
Well Fincher > Darabont and brings with him a certain amount of prestige that HBO is always up for. HBO obviously also has a much better track record than TNT. While they aren't as bullet proof as they were a few years back, I feel like audiences tend to give new HBO shows the benefit of the doubt. They want and expect them to be good. On the other hand, TNT could be showing the next great thing and many people wouldn't even know because TNT is pretty irrelevant in the tv landscape. I say bring it on.