Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ascension (SyFy) -- 3-night event -- S: Tricia Helfer/Brian Van Holt -- 12/15/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ascension (SyFy) -- 3-night event -- S: Tricia Helfer/Brian Van Holt -- 12/15/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Created and written by executive producer and showrunner Philip Levens ("Smallville"), "Ascension" is an ambitious original drama following a covert U.S. space mission launched in the 1960's that sent hundreds of men, women and children on a century-long voyage aboard the starship Ascension to populate a new world. Half way into their journey, as they approach the point of no return, the mysterious murder of a young woman causes the ship's population to question the true nature of their mission. The series stars Brandon P. Bell ("Hollywood Heights") as the confident and capable First Officer Aaron Gault, Brian Van Holt ("Cougar Town," "The Bridge") as the eponymous ship's Captain William Denninger, and Tricia Helfer ("Battlestar Galactica") as Viondra Denninger, the captain's beautiful, manipulative and dangerous wife (who also serves as the ship's Chief Steward). Joining Bell, Van Holt and Helfer are Tiffany Lonsdale as Chief Astronomer Emily Vanderhaus, Andrea Roth as the ship's head doctor Juliet Bryce, Jacqueline Byers as her daughter, Nora Bryce, and P.J. Boudousqué as Nora's love interest, James Toback.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uXT0QGLh5c4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Preview:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hCLCqyH5wk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FYI, this is 3 episodes airing Monday through Wednesday

Part 1 is 85 minutes

Part 2 and 3 are 2 hours each
Old 12-15-14, 02:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Ascension (SyFy) -- 3-night event -- S: Tricia Helfer/Brian Van Holt -- 12/15/14

Reviews have been largely positive. I'll likely be tuning in.
Old 12-15-14, 02:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Ascension (SyFy) -- 3-night event -- S: Tricia Helfer/Brian Van Holt -- 12/15/14

when asked about the episode run times, Kurt Sutter commented "Amateurs".
Old 12-15-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this a potential launch for a series ala BSG?
Old 12-15-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
when asked about the episode run times, Kurt Sutter commented "Amateurs".
And.......
Old 12-16-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I remember reading somewhere where the creator said there was plenty more story to mine or something like that if they wanted to make it into a series. So maybe.
Old 12-16-14, 09:49 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I remember reading somewhere where the creator said there was plenty more story to mine or something like that if they wanted to make it into a series. So maybe.
It looks like SyFy is trying to rebrand itself (again).

Interview with SyFy's chief: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...trategy-755056

You're doing projects such as Ascension as limited series. Do you go in planning for more?

The mandate is that if we're going to invest in a miniseries event, we want the potential for there to be a series coming out the other side. That said, next year's miniseries event, Childhood's End, which is a 1953 Arthur C. Clarke classic, is closed-ended, so there will be no series coming out of that. It's kind of off-strategy, but it influenced some of the biggest movie and TV franchises and it's never been adapted, so how do you not tackle it?
Old 12-16-14, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the beginning, I thought it was cool that we had two different timelines, kind of linked together via relativity, then, in the middle it seemed that we were already several generations in, then, that ending!

I watched it in pieces so I can't say it kept me riveted, but the ending sure hooked me.

Although:
Spoiler:
It's kind of disappointing that it's no longer a space exploration show.
Old 12-16-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It looks like SyFy is trying to rebrand itself (again).
Which would explain the shift to darker and/or harder edge programming with very little soft or light hearted options. I figured they were going this way after the cancellation of Warehouse 13 and the tonal shift of Haven.

I think the only whimsical alternatives on Syfy will be Face/Off and Ghost Hunters.
Old 12-16-14, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoyed this. I thought it nicely combined science fiction with a 1960's period piece. And the ending was interesting. I'm glad I didn't read spoilers ahead of time.
Old 12-16-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Strafe
At the beginning, I thought it was cool that we had two different timelines, kind of linked together via relativity, then, in the middle it seemed that we were already several generations in, then, that ending!

I watched it in pieces so I can't say it kept me riveted, but the ending sure hooked me.

Although:
Spoiler:
I haven't watched yet, but I just read a review and unless that ending gets
Spoiler:
double twisted
then I'll have zero interest in this.
Old 12-16-14, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Strafe

Although:
Spoiler:
See that's what will make it work for me. I'm not sure I could have ever gotten past the impossibility of being able to launch such a ship in the 1960s and travel (what is it - 4 light years) that far of a distance in only 100 years. Hell we're no closer to that now with 21st century tech.

I still think it's pretty absurd, but I can roll with it - at least for 2 more nights.
Old 12-16-14, 07:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So the ship hasn't needed any outside repairs in 51 years? Or did I miss them address that?
Old 12-16-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Geddlo
So the ship hasn't needed any outside repairs in 51 years? Or did I miss them address that?
don't read if you haven't watch ep 1.
Spoiler:
Well they aren't actually in a ship. Also just because they haven't showed it doesn't mean they haven't done repairs. So basically all the problems are just computer created virtual stff and we only seen a few days of a few decades of the simulation. They probably have backed up toilets but there was no reason to show it.

Also looks like they have gear to travel outside.
Old 12-16-14, 11:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Watched the first episode and liked the beginning and ending -- the middle, not so much. Some pretty bad dialogue throughout. How was the 2nd episode for those that watched?
Old 12-17-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My dad quit this show after 4 minutes. I got through 4 minutes, said I'm going to give this show one more shot, got through another 90 seconds. Dominion and Helix both had me on board by that point and neither was that great.
Old 12-17-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really liked the second episode. Big step up from the first episode. Looks like they have a couple of story lines going that all tie in to each other. The thing I worry about is can they tie everything up in the next episode. I guess if they break the big secret all the other stuff doesn't matter.
Old 12-18-14, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well that ending was interesting. I'm not sure what th main purpose of the mission was now.

Spoiler:
It seems the main reason was to advance the human race into people with powers. However, all the fake ship stuff still points to setting up a a real mission.

I liked what I saw but which it was more contained unless this is just the start of a series. Ending left some big questions.
Old 12-18-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I guess people are hoarding the episodes on their DVR for later viewing. Having seen the whole thing, I thought this was an entertaining story that went in a number of different directions. Avoid spoilers if possible, I certainly wouldn't read this thread before seeing the whole thing.

The 1960s-era tech and style was a neat trick by the writers. Cultural evolution would have slowed down greatly in that ship.

I guess the ending implies

Spoiler:
The entire project was more about developing mutants with special powers, than any simulation of a space mission. Knowing this mini-series was developed with the idea it could be continued as a show, I guess it would evolve more along the lines of X-Men if it came back. It looked like the little girl had quantum teleported the ship's officer to their destination.

I did get an impression from watching the entire thing that some of the story ended up on the cutting room floor. The relationship between the blogger and TC investigator felt like it needed more development.
Old 12-18-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

WTF was that ending. Nice originality on the Star Child.
Old 12-19-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that I'm unappreciative, but were all those nekkid butt shots really needed, story-wise?
Old 12-19-14, 05:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

you've never watched a show on FX have you?
Old 12-19-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Not that I'm unappreciative, but were all those nekkid butt shots really needed, story-wise?
SyFy has been getting more aggressive in that area the last couple of years. Half of Bitten's season was virtually nude.

They didn't explain the backstory too well about the ship's genetic matches made by computer. I guess that was supposed to be the punchline, though I would have liked to hear more about its origins.
Old 12-20-14, 05:16 AM
Banned

Late to the party, but watching on Demand (still need to finish episode two before it disappears, although I'm sure they will repeat the whole thing).

Lots of things to discuss...when do spoiler considerations become a moot point (I was careful about reading the posts so as not to ruin any potential surprises)?

Still a bit confused about the details about "the mission" (from both perspectives).
Old 12-20-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole season has aired. All discussion of the season is fair game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.