Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Wake Up Call (TNT) -- Series Thread -- Hosted by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Wake Up Call (TNT) -- Series Thread -- Hosted by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

By the time Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was 23, he had multiple arrests, his family was evicted and his dreams of being a football player were shattered. He was living at home with no future, no direction and had seven bucks in his pocket. That’s when he made a choice – to challenge himself every day. And to turn himself around. The rest is history.

And now Rock is returning to his roots — to help those who are struggling — to show them that there can be a better way. From dysfunctional homes and dead-beat dads to runaway teens and businesses struggling to survive, The Rock descends into the chaos of everyday problems to pull good people up by the bootstraps, reminding them what hard work, passion and true discipline can accomplish.It's time for your Wake Up Call.

SERIES PREMIERE: "Terrell: Hits Keep Coming" - Friday, Dec. 12, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT)

In the series premiere of TNT's Wake Up Call, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and UFC President Dana White attempt to give teenager Terrell Moore a real shot at becoming a MMA Fighter. But first he is challenged to complete high school and face a major attitude re-adjustment.

8 episode season. This is a re-working/re-boot of his previous reality show "The Hero" It's a non-competition show now.

I don't know how many people here are even remotely interested in this, but I figured since it's a Johnson, a big action movie star, it's worth starting.

Promos:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Wtz5kvrwgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j4anWOke4jk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-13-14, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Wake Up Call (TNT) -- Series Thread -- Hosted by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

I kind of wish The Rock did an actual 2nd season of The Hero instead, but overall I was entertained by this. Terrell for the most part seemed like a good, but misguided kid. at the end who they gave an update of Terrell and tied it into a B of A commercial about managing your money.

This type of show can be way too sappy, but at least The Rock is hosting, which made it watchable.

Looks like next week is about a massively overweight football coach who needs a wake up call.
Old 12-14-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Wasn't too bad. I wish we had seen more about his school progress. Seemed like he got his opportunity without necessarily fulfilling his GED end of the bargain. Plus, seemed like he hadn't put on much musle at first - sounded like he had a month between meeting the Rock and his tryout.
Old 01-11-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Just binged watched the last 4 episodes.

I enjoyed episode 2 a lot about Javier the football coach who was morbidly obese and trying to get healthier. The guy was in really bad shape when the episode started. I was happy to see in the end that he dropped almost 100 pounds.

Didn't really care for the Pizza joint episode. That was something more suited for Gordon Ramsay than The Rock

Alyssa, the high school drop-out, was decent. Glad she's in a better position now with the Fire Academy thing and getting her GED.

I liked Kevin, the 40 year old Mama's boy episode. I'm sure there are plenty of guys like him out in the world. at The Rock giving him shit about the Vaseline.

It's a decent "Feel Good" show. It looks like it took The Rock and company a long time to film this series since they had 6 month later updates for Javier and Kevin.