Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race (S25E11) -- "Hooping It Up" -- 12/12/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Amazing Race (S25E11) -- "Hooping It Up" -- 12/12/14

ON THE PENULTIMATE LEG OF THE RACE, TWO STRONG TEAMS MAKE A POTENTIALLY ONE MILLION DOLLAR MISTAKE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," FRIDAY, DEC. 12 ON CBS

"Hooping It Up" (Manila, Philippines)
- On the penultimate leg of the Race, two strong teams make a potentially one million dollar mistake. Also, Phil Keoghan greets the teams with shocking news at the Pit Stop, on THE AMAZING RACE, Friday, Dec. 12 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan (@philkeoghan)
is the host.

Remaining Teams in THE AMAZING RACE:

Adam and Bethany

Maya and Amy

Brooke and Robbie

Misti and Jim

Next week is the season finale. I fell massively behind (7 episodes) due to working at 3am on Saturdays and not being able to watch. Had a marathon over the last 2 nights and got caught up.

Rooting for Adam and Bethany (Soul Surfers)

The massage episode from 2 weeks ago had me dying with Maya and Amy's reactions.
Old 12-12-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race (S25E11) -- "Hooping It Up" -- 12/12/14

Many mixed feelings about this.

I'm all for seeing difficult challenges but Amy was competing against 3 very strong, very big and very fit men. I'm impressed with her for surviving that Because I was tired just watching it.

So, it seemed fitting they had a twist to race on BUT a fourth place finish is still a fourth place finish and they should have some disadvantage like a speed bump.

The wrestlers got an extremely easy speed bump.

Adam is a beast and Bethany is still amazing, although several unforced errors kept them from running away with that leg. If Bethany had made a one armed, one handed basket, I would have been fine with Phil just coming out and awarding them the first place check right there.
Old 12-12-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
All the speed bumps are pretty easy...
Old 12-12-14, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That RePhil/refill sign turned out to be a good omen for the candy girls.
I love Maya!! She has to be the most excited, ultimate optimist/cheerleader on this show. Manila excitement > reaction at the Copenhagen roadblock .

4 enjoyable teams heading into the final.
Old 12-13-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Many mixed feelings about this.

I'm all for seeing difficult challenges but Amy was competing against 3 very strong, very big and very fit men. I'm impressed with her for surviving that Because I was tired just watching it.

So, it seemed fitting they had a twist to race on BUT a fourth place finish is still a fourth place finish and they should have some disadvantage like a speed bump.

Adam is a beast and Bethany is still amazing, although several unforced errors kept them from running away with that leg. If Bethany had made a one armed, one handed basket, I would have been fine with Phil just coming out and awarding them the first place check right there.
They only introduced the 'keep racing' pit stops recently, but I don't think they've ever had a speed bump with one of those; only the non-elim legs. They are also going to be eliminating one of the teams partway through the final leg, so there really isn't much need for a speed bump.

Speaking of easy speed bumps, I remember some of the older ones being more difficult and/or more time consuming.

And, yeah, I was also impressed with Amy, even though it looked she was about to keel over at the pit stop.
Old 12-13-14, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is normal for the team that finishes first in a leg where they keep racing to receive nothing ? I can't remember what happened in previous seasons but it seems unfair especially when you consider Adam and Bethany received a prize for using their fast forward. If any leg was not worthy of a prize it would be one where the team did nothing.
Old 12-13-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I'm interested to see if the teams are forced onto a particular flight in typical bunch up fashion. There are a lot of flights from MNL to LAX with various airlines. A few direct, but many with connections thru Seoul and Narita.

Felt bad for Amy, bit glad she's ok. She looked really bad in the cab. I was wondering why she wasn't penalized for crashing her trike into the van and was ok just pedaling away. And cabbies in the PI are crazy drivers, but we didn't really see that in this leg.
Old 12-13-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by raj905
It is normal for the team that finishes first in a leg where they keep racing to receive nothing ? I can't remember what happened in previous seasons but it seems unfair especially when you consider Adam and Bethany received a prize for using their fast forward. If any leg was not worthy of a prize it would be one where the team did nothing.
But this wasn't an official pit stop... the race continued.
Old 12-13-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, nothing. Even during the previous seasons. Phil just says something like "you're still racing" and it's like there was no end to the leg/pit stop.

I fully expect there to be a flight, or wait till morning to pick up your clue, equalizer. And for at least two of the last four teams to be fucked up by a bad cabbie. That's just the way this show operates.

Interesting that nothing came of the scientists running into that car. Seemed they should have at least had to stop and re-start that challenge.
Old 12-13-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Yeah, but she traveled a couple of times and the ref didn't call it.
Old 12-13-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

First year watching. Damn fun show. Picked it up to watch Bethany, and she and Adam haven't disappointed yet. Rooting for them to win.

What the hell happened this leg though? They were so damn far ahead. I was in the middle of something once they finished the bball part, then when I came back they were in third. They should have just mopped the floor with everyone this episode.
Old 12-13-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Amy and Maya should have received a penalty for running into and damaging that parked van/car. They may have but since they will probably all be equalized next leg, they didn't show it. I have them in the TAR game and I do like their underdog edit they are getting. They just need to come in first the last leg no matter how middle/low of the pack they have been the previous legs.
Old 12-13-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What the hell happened this leg though? They were so damn far ahead. I was in the middle of something once they finished the bball part, then when I came back they were in third. They should have just mopped the floor with everyone this episode.
Same thing that happens to all leaders: something like not reading a clue properly, not finding/losing the instructions, getting lost, getting a crappy taxi/driver, or getting too headstrong to take a moment to relax & slow down just for a moment to make sure you don't read the clue wrong/lose the instructions/get lost.

In their case:

Spoiler:

They misplaced the clue after getting the lead. They searched on the Jeepmee then instead of being smart and searching their bags first... decided that with his memory to try to find the next clue location. They couldn't find the first set of instructions, I.E. the clue. So they walked the market and asked people to try to find the next clue location. After wasting time doing that, Adam finally decides to tear apart his bag and finds the instructions of where the next clue is. By that time, Brooke & Robbie have caught up... Adam and Bethany wasted so much time walking around looking for the location without help... that Robbie was able to not only get a lead but screw up himself... AND ROBBIE STILL HAD A JUMP ON THEM.

Adam then couldn't find where to drop off the first coconut and broom order so again he wasted time walking around looking for non-existent guidance. He ended up having to go back like Robbie.
Old 12-13-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
First year watching. Damn fun show. Picked it up to watch Bethany, and she and Adam haven't disappointed yet. Rooting for them to win.

You picked a good one to start with. I started about 6 seasons ago and this by far the best of those seasons IMO.

I'm now in the process of going back through all the old seasons on Youtube. I'm almost up to the Ox episode from the flashback switchback last week.

Crazy much how the Race has changed over the years.
Old 12-13-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts

I think this has more to do with the producers changing things up and also save the cost of a prize package in the process.

Every single team made mistakes in this leg, but I was shocked that it was the wrestlers who made the least amount of mistakes and pulled ahead.

However, just by sheer luck all the teams chose the right detours and it really worked out for them. I did not think Bethany could've steered that rickety bicycle/sidecar contraption. I also didn't think the dentists or scientists could've shot enough baskets within a reasonable amount of time as compared to doing the cycling.
Old 12-13-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

This has been a fun season.

The Scientists seem to be the weakest of the finalists, but all have proven to be strong at some point. And each of the teams have made mistakes along the way as well. So I don't have any idea who might pull it out. Feel compelled to root for Adam & Bethany.
Old 12-13-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not really rooting for anyone. None of these teams winning will piss me off though.
Old 12-13-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I dislike Ms Tessmacher more and more each episode.

Two straight non elimination/keep racing legs after the cyclists got eliminated irritates me.
Old 12-13-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or does week after week, Phil get closer and closer to the Andre level out of fashion from The League?
Old 12-13-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12

In their case:

Spoiler:

They misplaced the clue after getting the lead. They searched on the Jeepmee then instead of being smart and searching their bags first... decided that with his memory to try to find the next clue location. They couldn't find the first set of instructions, I.E. the clue. So they walked the market and asked people to try to find the next clue location. After wasting time doing that, Adam finally decides to tear apart his bag and finds the instructions of where the next clue is. By that time, Brooke & Robbie have caught up... Adam and Bethany wasted so much time walking around looking for the location without help... that Robbie was able to not only get a lead but screw up himself... AND ROBBIE STILL HAD A JUMP ON THEM.

Adam then couldn't find where to drop off the first coconut and broom order so again he wasted time walking around looking for non-existent guidance. He ended up having to go back like Robbie.
Holy shit, that borders on epic levels of stupidity. Almost worth going back to rewatch just for that stretch.
Old 12-13-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Amy and Maya should have received a penalty for running into and damaging that parked van/car. They may have but since they will probably all be equalized next leg, they didn't show it. I have them in the TAR game and I do like their underdog edit they are getting. They just need to come in first the last leg no matter how middle/low of the pack they have been the previous legs.
Well, for one thing, the crash and recovery would eat into their time, so that's a penalty in and of itself since this a timed race.

As for any damage caused, I'm not sure. Probably depends what was in the rulebook; might have been something production didn't plan for.
Old 12-13-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
I think this has more to do with the producers changing things up and also save the cost of a prize package in the process.
I doubt the show actually pays for prizes. I would guess that all of the stuff the show gives away is given away free by sponsors like Travelocity and Ford.

Maybe these 'keep racing' pit stops are used when they can't get enough sponsors.
Old 12-14-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a "few" beers yesterday and accidentally posted this on the Survivor thread.

Reminds me of Jim (Dentist)

Old 12-15-14, 09:00 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hoping the producers have a smart finale route planned. I hate when they fill the finale with FIFO (first in, first out) challenges without any chance of team order shuffling and leave all the 'drama' to bad taxis. Honestly I wish they would go a step further for the finale and hire professional drivers who know all the destinations and routes to take that out of the equation.
Old 12-15-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, the two things that TAR does better than any other reality show is casting and momentum. This season was a great jump on point if you're not familiar with the show.

Last edited by starseed1981; 12-15-14 at 02:17 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.