DVD Talk
Were any Holiday-Themed Serials made? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Were any Holiday-Themed Serials made?

Regulus
12-11-14, 04:31 PM
As you know, I've acquired a massive DVD collection over the years. Among the things I have acquired are over 70 Serials (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Zombies of the Stratosphere and the like). Since I consider serials to be the forerunner of TV Programming, and we're well into the holiday season I have a question. Were there any Serials that had a holiday-themed chapter, or for that manner any serials that were completely holiday-themed?

Post away Amigos.

Ash Ketchum
12-11-14, 07:55 PM
As you know, I've acquired a massive DVD collection over the years. Among the things I have acquired are over 70 Serials (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Zombies of the Stratosphere and the like). Since I consider serials to be the forerunner of TV Programming, and we're well into the holiday season I have a question. Were there any Serials that had a holiday-themed chapter, or for that manner any serials that were completely holiday-themed?

Post away Amigos.

I've seen tons of serials, but never came across any with a holiday theme.

BobO'Link
12-11-14, 08:23 PM
A interestind query, my friend! A quick IMDB Advance search comes up empty. Just to be sure I looked over the synopsis of all the Rocky and Bullwinkle episodes - also a dead end.

In spite of some being released/shown during Holiday periods I think they were deliberately devoid of such mentions so as to not date them and allow a showing at any time of the year. Come to think of it I don't recall any taking place during "bad" weather either with temperatures typicaly being rather temperate. Did it even rain in a serial? I can't think of a instance off the top of my head...

rw2516
12-12-14, 05:43 AM
As to serials, no. I'd like to know if there's a Christmas themed Three Stooges. I've seen a photo that has them decorating a tree but have never been able to find that particular short. Publicity photo maybe?

shadokitty
12-12-14, 09:13 AM
As to serials, no. I'd like to know if there's a Christmas themed Three Stooges. I've seen a photo that has them decorating a tree but have never been able to find that particular short. Publicity photo maybe?

I forget the name of it, but there is a Christmas Themed Three Stooges with Shemp.

BobO'Link
12-12-14, 12:07 PM
Yes, that photo with them dressed as Santa around the tree is a publicity photo. They also released a Christmas record.

As to shorts - it depends on how you look at it.

In Wee Wee Monsieur (1938) the Stooges, while escaping their landlord, join the Foreign Legion by mistake. Later their commanding officer is captured and the Stooges show up to rescue him disguised as Santa Clauses in a sleigh pulled by a "raindeer". They are in the suits for a short bit in the hareem before ditching them in favor of concubine disguises.

Malice In the Palace (1949) has the Stooges running a restaurant when they overhear a couple of thieves discussing stealing King Rootintootin's Diamond. They discover emir of Schmow has already stolen the diamond and plot to recover it for the reward. They show up at the emir's palace dressed as Santa Claus. This was remade as Rumpus In a Harem (1959), one of the 4 films made with Joe Palma as "Fake Shemp" following Shemp's death. Both films use several scenes recycled from Wee Wee Monsieur.

He Cooked His Goose (1952) is more Christmas themed as "Belle" is decorating a Christmas Tree when Shemp arrives to try and sell her some underwear. When Larry and Moe come to the apartment Shemp flees up the chimney and then dons a Santa Suit to fool Moe and get away. Shemp now knows Larry set him up, knocks Larry out and puts the suit on him sending him to Moe, Millie (Shemp's girlfriend), and Belle. They then unmask the *real* offender - Larry. It was remade, using lots of footage from the original, as Triple Crossed (1959) with Joe Besser in the Shemp role.

And that's it. You could argue for the Santa suits somewhat making a "Holiday" theme but He Cooked His Goose and Triple Crossed are the only ones that are obviously done around Christmas time because of the Christmas Tree in the apartment.

hasslein
12-12-14, 12:23 PM
Just to be sure I looked over the synopsis of all the Rocky and Bullwinkle episodes - also a dead end.

Topsy Turvy World

http://www.acartoonchristmas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/rocky-and-bullwinkle-christmas-22.jpg

BobO'Link
12-12-14, 02:16 PM
^Cool! My oldest granddaughter *loves* Moose & Squirrel so I may just pull that one out for a viewing! :)

Rexxriot
12-12-14, 03:35 PM
If there aren't any holiday-themed serials, it's probably because they would be hard to program. They'd either have to start it well before Christmas or end it well after. Of course, you don't have to release Christmas movies around Christmastime, but generally they try to.

Regulus
12-12-14, 09:11 PM
If there aren't any holiday-themed serials, it's probably because they would be hard to program. They'd either have to start it well before Christmas or end it well after. Of course, you don't have to release Christmas movies around Christmastime, but generally they try to.

Well, I got my answer, so thanks for letting me know. There are a few holiday-themed movies that were released during the summer, one example is Gremlins (1984). Another movie was, believe it or not the original Miracle on 34th Street. It was released in May of 1947! Perhaps some of you can enlighten me about other holiday-themed movies that were shown WAY out of their time, and I don't just mean Christmastime! rotfl

hasslein
12-13-14, 08:24 PM
^Cool! My oldest granddaughter *loves* Moose & Squirrel so I may just pull that one out for a viewing! :)

Boris is a riot in that one.

"Ho Ho Ho - STEEK 'EM UP!"rotflrotflrotfl

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0