Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Casual Gamer Goes Next Generation & Seeks Counsel

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Casual Gamer Goes Next Generation & Seeks Counsel

Background---I'm a casual gamer that has never owned an Xbox. I do have a PS3 and mainly play the single player campaign mode. I couldn't resist the Target bundle deals and picked up an AC Xbox 1 bundle on Thanksgiving and a GTA PS4 bundle yesterday with the cartwheel coupon. I'm planning on taking advantage of the Best Buy buy 2, get 1 free sale next week and need advice.

Which 3 titles from the following list would you recommend for someone like me?

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
Halo Master Chief Collection
Sunset Overdrive
Far Cry 4
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Destiny
Little Big Planet 3

Also, are there any technical differences between the Xbox 1 and PS4 on the titles that are available for both consoles?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 12-04-14 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-04-14, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Casual Gamer Goes Next Generation & Seeks Counsel

There's a really strong PS4 Destiny community here on the forum, so if shooters are your thing then that should be a no brainer.
Old 12-04-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Why would you drop $800+ over a matter of days for 2 new consoles and games if you're a casual gamer... casual defined as you don't play much/regularly.

Are you bad with money or just have plenty of disposable income?
Old 12-04-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can you provide some more info about what types of games you enjoy playing, something a little more specific than single player campaign?

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Also, are there any technical differences between the Xbox 1 and PS4 on the titles that are available for both consoles?
Oh lawd, you have no idea what you've done.
Old 12-04-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Not getting into the Resolution Wars, there's one thing that should be noted : Dragon Age Inquisition is an EA title. On the One there is a service (that I HIGHLY recommend) called EA Access. For $30/yr you get access to older EA games on the system for unlimited gameplay. Now that's Madden 25, FIFA 14, NFS Rivals, PvZ Garden Warfare and Peggle 2. Eventually it's safe to assume DA I would join it. Not that I'm telling you not to get it (it's a very good game), but if you do, you might want to get the XO version so when it comes to the Vault, you could sell the disc version back for something and keep your current game save file.
Old 12-04-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To clear up a couple of matters. I'm not really a casual gamer, just not a very skilled one. That is why I tend to stay away from online play. I bought the PS4 because I have to have it for the next Uncharted installment. I got the Xbox because of the killer $280 bundle price and I have always wondered what I have been missing on the exclusive Xbox titles(Halo for example). I do like FPS so the new COD is a definite. I'm just trying to decide on the other 2 games.

Also, I don't mean to start a console war. I just want to make sure that I get the best version if there is a difference between the 2 systems. I know that some games worked better on an Xbox360 than they did on the PS3 and vice versa.
Old 12-04-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Not getting into the Resolution Wars, there's one thing that should be noted : Dragon Age Inquisition is an EA title. On the One there is a service (that I HIGHLY recommend) called EA Access. For $30/yr you get access to older EA games on the system for unlimited gameplay. Now that's Madden 25, FIFA 14, NFS Rivals, PvZ Garden Warfare and Peggle 2. Eventually it's safe to assume DA I would join it. Not that I'm telling you not to get it (it's a very good game), but if you do, you might want to get the XO version so when it comes to the Vault, you could sell the disc version back for something and keep your current game save file.
Thanks!
Old 12-04-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest getting the Halo MCC simply for the fact that it is the best way to play all the Halo games in HD.

I'd also suggest Destiny. It is hard to say why it is good, but I have been playing it non-stop since it launched, and as JohnSlider mentioned, there are a lot of us on the forum that play it as well. We can always use more Daggers.

As for the third, I'd suggest Call of Duty as it is a solid shooter. However, I wouldn't buy it if you don't intend to play the multiplayer.
Old 12-04-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree that getting Halo seems well suited for you; there's multiplayer issues with the game right now, but since you're only worried about single player that works out perfect. Especially since you're interested in the XBox exclusives you haven't played.

If you already have Call of Duty lined up, it might be nice to get something other then a shooter. In that case, if you've played the previous two Dragon Age games then Part 3 seems like a great choice. If you can't get enough of shooters, then Destiny seems well suited but that is an always online game so keep that in mind.

As for the whole console comparison thing, it shouldn't start too much debate to say that most multi-platform games look a bit better on the PS4. There are some exceptions, and in some cases there are trade offs where the XBox runs a bit smoother because that version runs at a lower resolution too. You can probably look these up on a case by case basis.
Old 12-04-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

I think most games are basically the same across both systems, unless the companies paid for exclusives or actually hacked in kinect functionality, etc. I mean, it's to the point where if you don't care about the exclusives that much, it's not really worth getting both, even for the hardcore gamer.

I mean, for the really casual gamer, I'd say return the next gen system and wait it out a little longer.
Old 12-04-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Call of Duty and Destiny - out of that list in the OP. Hell, throw in Alien: Isolation, too. Welcome to bliss.
Old 12-04-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

From your list (and I have every game on it), I'd choose Destiny (PS4), Hale MCC (XO) and probably Far Cry 4 (PS4 - but really you should just pick it up on whatever system you have friends playing it on).

Don't forget to activate Playstation Plus before the end of the year - you want to snag Injustice Ultimate for PS4 before it goes away.
Old 12-04-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

If you're looking for strictly single player, I'd go Halo, Dragon Age, and Far Cry.
Old 12-04-14, 09:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Halo for sure, as you get a ton of games that you've apparently never played all in one package.

Destiny is online, but you can play through most of it by yourself without worrying about the multiplayer aspects. Still, if you're getting Halo, Destiny might feel too same-y.

Sunset Overdrive seems like a lot of fun, but I haven't played it myself, same with Far Cry.

Dragon Age will give you a lot of game to play, and would be a nice change of pace from the shooters.
Old 12-04-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My picks are about diversity.

Destiny (PS4)
LittleBigPlanet 3
Far Cry 4

You can get enjoyment out of playing Destiny on your own. But the game really blossoms when you play with others in co-op. As mentioned, we have a really great group here for that game on the PS4, and it's an exciting time right now with the first expansion coming next week. The PS4 also has more content than the XBOne version. You don't have to play against other humans, but that option is also there.

LBP3 is more geared to kids, but if it's anything like the others in the series, there's enough of a challenge to make it a worthy game for anyone. Another game you can play on your own. And the previous games have had a solid online community making all kinds of crazy levels to push the game into all kinds of different genres.

I don't know much about the others on the list. Sunset Overdrive seems to be a lot like the InFamous series on Playstation, but it's a different experience than the other games. However, in January you can get the InFamous: First Light stand alone game from PS Plus for free. And Second Son can be grabbed for $20 at this point.

So I picked Far Cry as it seems to be different than everything else on the list.
Old 12-04-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

For single player I'd recommend:

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (just missed some killer BF deals)
Infamous: Second Son (can be found cheap)
Halo: Master Chief Collection (it's known for MP, but the campaigns are fantastic)
Tomb Raider: Definitive (if you missed that last gen, $18 on PSN right now)
Old 12-05-14, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing you need to buy if you don't already have it is PSplus. If you already have it, you should have been "buying" the free games for the PS4 from the time they were released. If you had, you have a bunch of PS4 games already. As to your b2g1 question, based on your preference for single player campaigns, I would recomend:

Far Cry 4
Old 12-05-14, 08:23 AM

Background---I'm a casual gamer that has never owned an Xbox. I do have a PS3 and mainly play the single player campaign mode. I couldn't resist the Target bundle deals and picked up an AC Xbox 1 bundle on Thanksgiving and a GTA PS4 bundle yesterday with the cartwheel coupon. I'm planning on taking advantage of the Best Buy buy 2, get 1 free sale next week and need advice.

Which 3 titles from the following list would you recommend for someone like me?

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
Sunset Overdrive
Far Cry 4
Destiny
Little Big Planet 3

Thanks in advance.
Halo Master Chief Edition since you have never played before.
Dragon Age
Destiny

Last edited by House; 12-05-14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-05-14, 08:28 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"picked up an AC Xbox 1 bundle on Thanksgiving and a GTA PS4 bundle yesterday with the cartwheel coupon"

my first thought when I saw what you bought after seeing you say you were a casual gamer was sweet baby jesus...

If you have not already played it on ps3..pick up the new tomb raider for either the ps4 or xbox....perfect blend of fun and is on the easy side.
Old 12-05-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On XBone, I'd get EA Access for PvZ, NFS Rivals, sports games and others, and I'd get Sunset Overdrive and maybe the Halo Collection (assuming they've fixed the multiplayer). I'd also try Titanfall, especially at current prices.

On PS4, I'd get the vast majority of cross-platform titles with single-player highlights from this year being Shadows of Mordor and Far Cry 4. For more single player, Infamous Second Son was solid and is now cheap, and if you didn't play Last of Us or Tomb Raider on PS3 (hell, even if you did) pick those up. And you have Infamous First Light for free in January and Bloodborne and The Order to keep an eye on early next year...all single player. And I always have to recommend my favorite game on the system: Warframe. It's free to play with a very very reasonable business model, fun gameplay and absurd levels of content.

As somebody who has a lot of time and money invested in Destiny and generally loves that type of game, I'd absolutely say skip it. I'd either wait for the inevitable Borderlands Presequel port or just try Warframe for free. Buying Destiny is like knowingly getting into an abusive relationship.

If you're looking for performance differences: www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry . Generally, PS4 has been coming out on top with higher resolutions for many games due to its more powerful GPU and faster memory, but Xbone gets the occasional win, so it's worth a look if you have both. You may also find that other factors outweigh performance differences like when Xbone runs Advanced Warfare at a lower resolution but gets DLC a month earlier.
Old 12-05-14, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Why would you drop $800+ over a matter of days for 2 new consoles and games if you're a casual gamer... casual defined as you don't play much/regularly.

Are you bad with money or just have plenty of disposable income?

Not really sure why it's yoir business how he spends his money or how much he has. Are you hiss daddy all the sudden
Old 12-05-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake
Not really sure why it's yoir business how he spends his money or how much he has. Are you hiss daddy all the sudden
Agree. That was kind of a jerkface comment.

Dude wants to support the hobby I care about, I'm all for it.
Old 12-05-14, 09:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
As somebody who has a lot of time and money invested in Destiny and generally loves that type of game, I'd absolutely say skip it.
Finally someone with some sense.

Seriously, though, the guy said he's not much of a multiplayer guy. Sure Destiny has a story that can be completed on your own, but from what everyone has said, the TRUE value in the game is its unending MP system. I would never recommend a game like this to someone who specifically says he doesn't play MP much if at all, since he won't get nearly as much out of it as the "intended" audience.

If ANYTHING, I'd say check out the Destiny demo on XO (might be on PS4, too). If you're really into it, then consider picking up the full game. Otherwise, skip it.
Old 12-05-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I'm leaning toward Far Cry 4, Dragon Age and Halo MCC. I already have Mordor and The Evil Within coming from BB's BF sale and I can play GTA V for weeks so my plate will be full for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-05-14, 02:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Enjoy!