Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II (MTV) - Premieres 1/6/15

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 10:29 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts
The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II (MTV) - Premieres 1/6/15

Battle of the Exes II takes twenty six of the most infamous former flames, recent splits, and fresh faces from other MTV reality series, to Panama for one of the most explosive Challenge formats yet. Once paired up with their exes, these competitors must overcome their past in order to face the present, if they want a shot at claiming their share of the $350,000 grand prize. Will romances be rekindled or will unresolved issues ruin these pairs? Between the bitter rivalries, jealous lovers, and demanding challenges, it’ll take the ultimate couple to withstand the pressures of the game. And with a brand new, mid-season twist that will shock the cast like never before, the stakes have never been higher for these exes to work as teams.
Never has the title of MTV’s The Challenge been more crushingly poignant. As the series enters its 26th season, the show also mourns the loss of veterans Diem Brown and Ryan Knight, who died within weeks of one another in November.

EW can exclusively reveal that The Challenge is dedicating its next season Battle of the Exes II (premiering Jan. 6, 2015 at 11 p.m. ET) to Brown and Knight, who died Nov. 27 at the age of 29. Both were set to compete on Exes II, Diem with former on-screen love Chris “CT” Tamburello and Knight with his ex (and former Real World: New Orleans housemate) Jemmye Carroll.

MTV is also honoring Brown with a We <3 Diem special on Tuesday, Dec. 9, at 9 p.m. ET. A passionate and outspoken advocate for women’s health, the eight-time Challenge competitor collapsed during filming in September and ultimately lost her third battle with cancer on Nov. 14 at the age of 34. “Since debuting on MTV’s The Challenge in 2006 and battling cancer three times in the public eye, Diem Brown has become a role model for her courage and positivity to thousands of fans,” the network said in a statement. “We’ve followed her through her unwavering attempts to win a Challenge and her infamous on/off relationship with fellow cast mate and longtime love CT, while simultaneously combating her disease off-camera. In We <3 Diem, we look back at Diem’s powerful journey, giving tribute to her perseverance and strength through it all.”

Diem, CT, Knight, and Jemmye were joined in Panama by 11 more couples, including partners from The Real World: Ex-plosion and Are You the One?

Though the $350,000 prize remains the same, Exes II is adding a new midseason twist called “Battle of the Ex-iled,” in which eliminated partners can return to reclaim their place in the competition.

The teams include:
Johnny “Bananas” & Nany
“Bananas” is currently spoken for, and his one-time hook-up with Nany happened off-screen, so it seems unlikely viewers will ever see any action. But seeing how bossy, hyper-competitive “Bananas” deals with a partner is always transfixing.

Zach & Jonna
Jonna left her boyfriend for Zach on Battle of the Seasons, and they lived together in L.A. before Zach suddenly broke off the relationship, leaving Jonna with unresolved feelings.

Leroy & Nia
Cameras didn’t catch the Free Agents fooling around, but no one is fooled by their claim that “nothing happened.”

Wes & Theresa
This short-lived Fresh Meat 2 affair ended on bad terms, especially when Theresa moved on with Leroy during Rivals II.

Jordan & Sarah
After a brief dalliance in Rivals II, Real World: Brooklyn‘s Sarah was eliminated, and Portland housemate Jordan was on to the next. What goes around comes around?

Johnny & Averey
The Real World: Portland roommates took their domesticated bliss off-camera… until cheating allegations by Johnny led to their split before Free Agents.

Thomas & Hailey
Thomas’ cold behavior eventually forced Hailey out of the Real World: Ex-plosion house.

Dustin & Jessica
Since their Free Agents fling, Real World Portland‘s Jessica has feuded on Twitter with Dustin’s new girlfriend.

Adam & Brittany
Adam and Brittany had a tempestuous time in Hawaii during Are You the One? No surprise: They weren’t Perfect Matches.

Jay & Jenna
Jenna crashed Jay’s shot at fame on The Real World: Ex-plosion, but tight quarters was the least of problems for the distrustful on-and-off couple.

John “JJ” & Simone
Another ill-advised couple from Are You the One?, Simone wouldn’t stop pursuing John even when the Truth Booth denied their compatibility.
The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II premieres Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2015, at 11 p.m. ET on MTV.
Old 12-04-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II (MTV) - Premieres 1/6/15

This season will be tough to watch for sure. Still looking forward to it though. Hopefully they do a good job of honoring both Diem and Knight.

I don't watch Are You The One and don't like that they're joining into this. I hope they get the boot early.

I think the teams to beat are JB/Nany and CT/Diem but my dark horse pick is Jordan/Sarah. Those two definitely have a shot at it as long as Jordan doesn't turn into a huge prick. Which he will, of course.

I'm a bit confused by this:

Johnny & Averey
The Real World: Portland roommates took their domesticated bliss off-camera… until cheating allegations by Johnny led to their split before Free Agents.
Does this mean that Johnny accused Averey of cheating or that Johnny was the cheater. Sounds like the first. Averey cheating I can understand but the idea of Johnny cheating on Averey confuses and scares me.
Old 12-04-14, 11:43 AM

It says "allegations by Johnny"... so he was the one making the allegations... is how I read it.
Old 12-04-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Still never really heard of Are You the One, but as long as the people from that are interesting I can deal and just treat it as like another Fresh Meat.

And yeah, this will be tough to watch because of Diem and to a lesser extent, Knight.
Old 12-04-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I find Are You the One to be entertaining. This is going to be a hard season to watch. Knight was a douche, but at least he was a funny one.
Old 12-04-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So this show will feature two cast members that died after the filming but before the show airing. Is that a first in reality TV? I know The Bachelorette just had someone on the show die after filming and at least some part of it that featuring him was airing after he died. Any other examples of situations like this?

Just thought of one...Joan Rivers will appear on the upcoming season of The Apprentice.
Old 12-05-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Ryan Jenkins of Megan Wants a Millionaire killed a woman and then committed suicide while that show was still airing.
Old 12-05-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saturdays? Really?

No Cara and Lauryl and watching Diem before she got really sick and then died?

Gonna be tough to find any guilty pleasure in that.
Old 12-05-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Saturdays? Really?

No Cara and Lauryl and watching Diem before she got really sick and then died?

Gonna be tough to find any guilty pleasure in that.
What do you mean Saturdays? January 6th is a Tuesday. But yeah, watching Diem is going to be tough.

Spoiler:
Especially since based on previous articles she collapsed while doing the show. I'm curious how they'll present that.
Old 12-05-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
What do you mean Saturdays? January 6th is a Tuesday. But yeah, watching Diem is going to be tough.

Spoiler:
Especially since based on previous articles she collapsed while doing the show. I'm curious how they'll present that.
Sorry about that. I just saw the 6th and assumed it was bumped because tomorrow is the 6th.
Old 12-10-14, 05:15 PM

So they aired that I <3 Diem special last night. I found it a little strange that they filmed all the interview before she died. At least that is the way it seemed.
Old 12-10-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
So they aired that I <3 Diem special last night. I found it a little strange that they filmed all the interview before she died. At least that is the way it seemed.
Wouldn't it be weirder if they interviewed her after she died?

OK, that was dumb. But sadly that's what actually popped into my head on first glance of your post: "Well of course they interviewed her before she died."
Old 12-10-14, 08:11 PM

The interviews with other castmates... It seemed like the had the idea to do the special while she was still alive. Filmed interviews with castmates, and then altered it after she died.
Old 12-30-14, 02:26 PM

There's a cast special that airs tonight after TRW.

Here's the latest trailer:

<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:1112276/cp~vid%3D1112276%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A1112276" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Old 12-30-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for the bump, will record the special since i'm out of town still. I love how every year the trailers talk about it being the most shocking yet, or having some twist that shows shocked cast members. Although in this case I imagine it's that old teams can return or something?
Old 01-06-15, 11:10 AM

Starts tonight 1/6/15, after TRW at 11pm, running 90 mins.
Old 01-07-15, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

All the CT/Diem stuff makes me sad knowing what's to come. Pretty shocking first elimination; I figured it would be a rookie team losing first. The exile stuff looks cool.
Old 01-07-15, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
All the CT/Diem stuff makes me sad knowing what's to come. Pretty shocking first elimination; I figured it would be a rookie team losing first. The exile stuff looks cool.
It almost made the show unbearable to watch.

A lot of new people (especially for me because I don't watch anything else on MTV) combined with watching Diem is going to make this a very depressing season of a show I typically watch because of just how "unserious" it is.
Old 01-07-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Watching Diem crying and CT almost in tears begging someone to take him to the doctor's to presumably be with Diem was tough to see.
Old 01-07-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Stuff from future episodes preview:
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Watching Diem crying and CT almost in tears begging someone to take him to the doctor's to presumably be with Diem was tough to see.

When did that happen? I somehow missed that during this episode.

Last edited by windom; 01-07-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

At the end when they showed the trailer for the season.
Old 01-07-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The amount of new people don't bother me, even though I don't watch the other shows either. A lot of the Fresh Meat people ended up long time players on the game, so I don't treat it any differently then that.
Old 01-07-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like that they are using people from "Are you the One" now. That show is full of unstable crazies that should fit right in on the challenge.
Old 01-07-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Watching Diem kick ass was certainly more than a little bittersweet.
Old 01-08-15, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The autoplay on that trailer is really annoying.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.