Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Any comic book related New Year resolutions?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 03:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

My lifelong habit of hoarding has got to slow down this coming year. I think I've slightly improved in the last three years, taking in slightly less than previous years, but when you start with 'way too much', taking in more than you get rid rid of is still a net negative.

So specifically for comics, here are my goals:

1 - Keep my current focus on switching to mainly digital. I still buy some singles and collections, but I just don't have room.

2 - Sell/trade/donate at least two fill long boxes and 50 trades in the coming year. I will start with my duplicates, which may cover that goal actually, and then move on to getting rid of physical items that I now own digitally.

3- Read at least one Dark Horse digital book a day, on average. 14 months ago I owned no Dark Horse digital comics, now it's close to 2000 thanks to their CyberMonday sales. I need to start reading that stuff!

4 - Read more than I buy. This will be tough. I probably have never read more than 1000 books a year, yet I probably buy five times that since I went digital. I just need to learn to look these sales in the face and say 'no!'

5 - Read at least one physical collection per week.

6 - Get my collection in a database.

These Challenges we're doing are really helping me read more; I've read more since October 1st than I did the entire year before.
Old 12-02-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any comic book related New Year resolutions?

I've been doing a great job this year and want to continue.

1. Reducing my collection to 4-5 series that are actually on the shelf (anything in storage needs to go) I've gotten most of the way save for a couple of crates that I still hope to find a good home for (anyone want some dirt cheap Marvel Essentials? )
2. Read what I buy
3. Don't substitute my hoarding with digital. While it doesn't waste space, it was still wasting time and money.

I'm a much more casual fan than most of you, so my goals are a little bit easier to manage I think (and mostly apply to DVD and Videogames too).

Last edited by starman9000; 12-02-14 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Organize and catalog my collection, for real this time
2. At least one trade/hardcover read per week
3. Discover more older, non-super heroes series
Old 12-02-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I need to catalog my unread trades and try to make a dent in them. The challenges have helped.

I should also try to do a cleanse and get rid of some stuff. I do have a (small) pile started.
Old 12-02-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I had cut down on my trade buying quite a bit, then the InstockTrades sales hit me.

I'm not going to resolve to buy fewer books because I really enjoy them. However, I could weed out some titles that I'm pretty sure I'll never read... but what if I change my mind later?

I did an awesome job of organizing about a year ago. I now need to work in my new acquisitions.
Old 12-02-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

1 - Cut some titles from my Wednesday trips. For the most part, I enjoy what I pick up every week but this year, I've gotten into a bad habit of grabbing more than I can read. I can't keep up with a normal reading schedule anymore. Especially a weekly title! I'm about 2 months behind on Batman: Eternal.

I've already dropped a few titles that I felt were going nowhere (X-Files: Season 10 and Secret Origins). I keep thinking I want to drop Transformers Vs. GI Joe but god, I love the art so much! Also on the proposed chopping list is Superman. As much as I love John Romita Jr and Geoff Johns, this book has been dull. If something doesn't happen this month, I'm out.

2 - Organize! I started of this year pretty good with buying bag and boards by the 1000s and new drawer boxes to re-organize my comic room. But that pretty much stopped over the summer and now my room is a mess again. I need to get back on the wagon and stop buying cheap back issues and spend that money on new drawer boxes.

Part of that organization includes getting rid of books I either don't care about or have duplicates of. I sort of did that last year by selling some stuff to Lone Star Comics and ended up with a ton of credit. As I re-bag older books, I zip through them to see if I still care about 'em. If I don't, they go into the Get Rid Of Box. I recently did that with some Justice League America and Europe stuff (after Giffen & DeMatteis left). Also, a lot of books I never bag and boarded have yellowed. I generally replace and toss the older ones.

3 - No More Cheap Comics! From conventions to buying comics for a pound (thanks Black Friday), I have bought tons of back issues this past year. I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more until after I've sorted out my room. I completely broke that promise this year - Something my wife reminds me about every time I come home with a bag full of old comics. I need to get my older books in new bag and boards and sorted in new drawer boxes.

4 - Read more! Since I got promoted this year, I have had less time to read. Well, it's more about wanting to read. I get home and just want to loaf in front of the TV or my computer. I don't take the time to actually pull out a book and read it anymore. The only reading I do nowadays is on the weekends for a few hours. And I have TONS of unread comics. 5 short boxes of relatively recent books (2007 to 2012) and a long box and a half of older books. That's not counting the short box of recent books (2013 to 2014) that I've slowly been reading through.

Never going to go digital. I tried. Didn't like it. When comics stop being a physical format, I will stop buying new comics and stick only to back issues. No matter how worthless they end up being.

Will probably never go to trades either I tried that too and didn't like it. There's something I love about that traditional comic book format.
Old 12-02-14, 08:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My main resolution is to read as much as I buy. I might never be caught up on my backlog, but it would be nice to at least read something for every digital issue, omnibus, etc. that I buy in 2015 so there isn't a net gain.
Old 12-02-14, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I don't make resolutions, there is good psychological research indicating they aren't effective. I do hope to carve out more reading time in the near future. I've probably been buying more trades than actually reading them of late.
Old 12-02-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I need to really catch up on my backlog. I buy a bunch of trades and whatnot on sale and a lot of them end up just sitting. I've read a good chunk of what I own but a lot of the stuff I've gotten over the past year or so I haven't read yet.
Old 12-03-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell more of my collection. That's it. I just don't have room for all of it. This year, I sold about four long boxes worth of books.
Old 12-03-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iv been reading for almost two years now and have 10 short boxes and 200+ trades. I wanna sell off alot of the trades and slowly been reading my back issues i get cheap and donate them to my job. for reading and art projects.

I wanna eliminate my weekly pick ups down to key issues i know ill read before i find them in dump boxes at conventions for 50 cents.

going digital...i hate ebooks but surprisingly i dont mind reading comics on my tablet. cheap online sales have also given me more bang for my buck.

stop going to mu lcbs weekly...my store is constantly having sales on trades he buys in bulk and dumps em for next to nothing which is why i have so many. by going in once a month i get my books without coming home with 20+ trades every week

read 5 comics or a trade a day! been doing that for a couple weeks now lets see how well that goes
Old 12-03-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
My lifelong habit of hoarding has got to slow down this coming year. I think I've slightly improved in the last three years, taking in slightly less than previous years, but when you start with 'way too much', taking in more than you get rid rid of is still a net negative.

So specifically for comics, here are my goals:

1 - Keep my current focus on switching to mainly digital. I still buy some singles and collections, but I just don't have room.

2 - Sell/trade/donate at least two fill long boxes and 50 trades in the coming year.

3- Read at least one ______ digital book a day, on average.

4 - Read more than I buy. ... I just need to learn to look these sales in the face and say 'no!'
Good resolutions and I think this covers everything that I would like/ need to do too.

Priority #1 is selling stuff off. At the end of next year I'll donate some DVDs and books to the library or goodwill, but it will mostly be whatever I can't sell off by then. I have about 2.5 long boxes of Trades and Omni's and art books that need to go. DVDs have been much easier to deal with, so that's been my main push up till now- But since Amazon put the kibosh on most of the stuff we can sell now, I'm forced to concentrate on books.
As soon as Jan. 1 rolls around I'll be putting up a ton of stuff.
I think I'm going to start unloading most of the statues I've collected in the last 4 years too. The boxes for those are hogging a ton of space and I seem to only display a few.

Priority #2 is trying to read all the stuff I have- most of which is digital.
Old 12-04-14, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Not really a resolution, I really need to catch up on some reading. I have the time yet when it comes to entertainment there are movies, tv, comics, reading, internet and that's just screen based. Then there are other things along with all that life stuff. I really enjoy comics so I should just grab something good and make the time.

I've already gone digital with most series and have a new tablet for reading which is quite nice. (I still have a spot for paper comics yet I wait for cheap digital sales and it saves space which is a huge plus for me)

I still have a couple small boxes to sell off, I should go get that done after the holidays.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't make resolutions, there is good psychological research indicating they aren't effective.
It seems things just change at any time, not at any given date. It may work for some yet it does not always flow as well. It almost seems harder when it's forced. Of course there are some things one likely needs to push themself to do.
Old 12-04-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Finish filling in the gaps in these SA/BA series.

Teen Titans

Phantom Stranger

Jim Aparo's run on B&B

Mr. Miracle

Spectre

Aquaman

Green Lantern

I rarely go to the comic shop and usually wait for conventions.
Old 12-04-14, 07:48 PM

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

I, too, have been getting my head into trying to sell-off a chunk of my collection. But seeing as how every other post on this thread is saying the same thing, I guess the poor market I was dreading will be downright dismal.

Thankfully the New 52-- and the ridiculous amounts of Marvel relaunches-- have soured me on even trying to get back into the monthly grind. I'll keep trying to plug the holes in my collection (since my Half Price Books has recently gotten into bundling comics for cheap, I seem to have caught the bug again) and hopefully stay away from TP collections, aside from the odd Marvel Essentials or Showcase.

I'll also just keep trying to read recent comics via TPs my library carries. No cost-- and I actually have an incentive to read them (due dates and all).
Old 12-10-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I have about 2.5 long boxes of Trades and Omni's and art books that need to go...
List, please!
Old 12-11-14, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by teameck
I, too, have been getting my head into trying to sell-off a chunk of my collection. But seeing as how every other post on this thread is saying the same thing, I guess the poor market I was dreading will be downright dismal
Looking at most ebay sales, it just isn't worth my time. I'll give stuff away before I make less than $30 an hour for the time involved in selling stuff.
I'll also just keep trying to read recent comics via TPs my library carries. No cost-- and I actually have an incentive to read them (due dates and all).
I've read a bunch of stuff from the local library, but mainly the small subset of stuff that I know I can't afford to own complete collections of. I don't think the collector in me will ever die.
Old 12-11-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think the collector in me will ever die.
Same here but I was at least now I don't buy many books; maybe less than 50 books a year compared to 20-30 books a month or more.
Old 12-12-14, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Looking at most ebay sales, it just isn't worth my time. I'll give stuff away before I make less than $30 an hour for the time involved in selling stuff.
$20-30 an hour is bad?

I have a few comics left and after shipping scares them away it's likely not even worth the time.
Old 12-13-14, 11:46 AM
Cool New Member

Since I sold off my collection this year in order to not have to move it. My goal this year is to get trades that cover the story arches I liked. So, anyone know any place that sells them cheap?
Old 12-13-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lexx2.0
Since I sold off my collection this year in order to not have to move it. My goal this year is to get trades that cover the story arches I liked. So, anyone know any place that sells them cheap?
http://www.instocktrades.com/default.aspx
Old 12-15-14, 04:16 PM
Cool New Member

thanks
Old 12-31-14, 11:47 PM

Happy New Year friends.
Old 01-01-15, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Happy New Year friends.

Old 01-01-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts

2015: Sell more filler stuff and buy golden age Superman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.