Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Missing (Starz) Season 1 Thread - Saturdays beginning 11/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-01-14, 08:15 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

When five year-old Oliver Hughes disappears while on holiday in France, it sets off a nearly decade-long search for his whereabouts. “The Missing,” a STARZ Limited Series, is a dramatic thriller that takes you inside the mind of a father, Tony (played by James Nesbitt), desperate to locate his lost son. With help from a legendary detective (played by Tchéky Karyo), Tony embarks on an obsessive quest to find his son and those responsible for his disappearance. A gripping puzzle with twists and turns at every stage, Tony’s exhaustive search fractures his relationship with his wife, Emily (played by Frances O’Connor), and threatens to destroy his life. Told through a complex narrative, “The Missing” unfolds over two time frames simultaneously.
An 8 episode "limited series" that airs simultaneously on BBC One in the UK (the BBC One schedule is a couple weeks ahead of Starz). Episode 3 aired on Starz this past weekend, though Starz makes each episode available 1 week early online.

Despite the tired genre and uninspired promotion (one can't but help associate it with AMCs/Netflix The Killing) its fresh take is both captivating and compelling thus far. Anyone else watching?
Old 12-01-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: The Missing (Starz) Season 1 Thread - Saturdays beginning 11/15

I've been watching this OnDemand as they have been posting the shows a week earlier then they premiere on Starz.

I have to say this isn't just a 'your son was kidnapped' type show, as there is ALOT more to it. I don't want to give anything away as I just watched the 4th episode, but its very well done.
Old 12-02-14, 09:21 AM

Finally got around to watching the 3rd episode. Probably my favorite thus far. Both the raid and car chase were intense sequences and those final moments...heartbreaking to watch. Love this show.
Old 12-17-14, 07:41 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are people really not watching this? It is wonderful. James Nesbitt's work on this show is every bit as good as Matthew McConaughey's on True Detective, and I considered that tops for the year. I'm just glad the Golden Globes are at least recognizing that the series exists.

Grinding to a finish. I don't expect anything close to a positive, neat conclusion, as this doesn't seem to be the kind of show for that. I understand that it has already concluded in the UK, which makes me very leary of possible spoilers before the finale airs here.
Old 12-17-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

FYI
This was renewed for a 2nd season

I have Starz and have recorded every episode so far, just need to make the time to go through them. I should be able to finish it with the Holidays and less new programming airing right now.
Old 12-17-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah watched the first episode but just got busy and haven't watched the rest.

Looking forward to Christmas break so I can watch this and at least The Affair (possibly catch up on S2 of Masters of Sex, final season of The Killing, and Marco Polo). Not a whole lot to do when I go back to my parents house for two weeks.
Old 12-23-14, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All of the episodes are up OnDemand, so I was able to watch the ending. Most of you probably haven't watched all 8 episodes yet, so I will put my thoughts up in spoilers.

Spoiler:
I was suprised that the creator decided to go with the son being dead in the end, because most TV series would play it safe and give us a happy ending. Its sort of gut wrenching to watch the ending unfold, and it really isn't pleasant because that could happen in real life. But I think the crux of the show is how the 2 parents handle the crisis differently. The father never moves on and hopes and hopes and hopes even at the end as it essentially makes him crazy. The mother WANTS to move on and deep down she wants to know the son is dead (while feeling absolutely guilty in the process) so she can start another phase of her life. The question for everyone watching: Would you be like the mother or the father?
Old 12-23-14, 10:18 AM

^ Good to know about the OnDemand. Starz isn't airing a new episode this coming weekend. I just watched episode 6 last night (2 more to go). Might check them out via OnDemand.
Old 12-27-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Just finished watching, great show and excellent acting, definitely one of the best TV shows of 2014
Old 12-30-14, 10:45 PM

Finished this tonight. Really enjoyed the finale. Will save my thoughts since I suspect most plan to watch the final 2 episodes as they air. Overall, one of the top shows of 2014.
Old 12-31-14, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 588 Posts

Just finished binge-watching the season over 2 days.

I have to say I was VERY impressed with this. It really was top-notch all the way around - writing, directing, acting, etc.

It's similar to The Killing (US version - first 2 seasons) in that we're following a story/puzzle trying to find out what happened to someone. I always found The Killing to be horribly written and ridiculous... but this show makes it truly a giant piece of shit. The difference is night and day. THIS is how you do it.

It's a shame this series wasn't on HBO, Showtime or AMC - it would've gotten a lot more attention.

I also believe it would've attracted more people by using a different name instead of "The Missing". It's too generic and has been used in a forgettable movie and TV series recently. When I first heard about it - I immediately thought it was a lame ABC/CBS/NBC thriller/drama.

Looking forward to Season 2.
Old 12-31-14, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exceeded expectations in every way possible. Too bad it has received little attention.
Old 01-01-15, 12:04 AM

Loved it! Though the ending left me reeling.
With that being said, I have a coworker try to watch it and she said it was to confusing with the time jumping. Wow, some of my friends are super dense! LOL
Old 01-02-15, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zoomgirl
I have a coworker try to watch it and she said it was to confusing with the time jumping. Wow, some of my friends are super dense! LOL
I thought they did a good job with the time jumps. Most of the time, they would say '2006' or you would just notice the hair style changes in the characters. The husbands hair was more white, and the wife went from being a blonde to a brunette.
Old 01-02-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I thought they did a good job with the time jumps. Most of the time, they would say '2006' or you would just notice the hair style changes in the characters. The husbands hair was more white, and the wife went from being a blonde to a brunette.
I agree. They did a really good job in making the characters look different in the different years - but still held back knowing that it was either only 3 or 8 years later, so they couldn't make them look too different.
Old 01-02-15, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
I agree. They did a really good job in making the characters look different in the different years - but still held back knowing that it was either only 3 or 8 years later, so they couldn't make them look too different.
Originally Posted by mcnabb
Agreement here as well.
Spoiler:
They even did a good job with the brief flashbacks to 2009. Tony's hair wasn't as brown as in 2006 yet not quite as gray as the current timeline. All in all, they managed it well.
Old 01-05-15, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw this thread a week or so ago, got intrigued. 3 episodes in, and this show is fantastic. Heavy, depressing, but the script & acting seem top notch. Kind of has a broadchurch feel to it, and as mentioned above leaves 'the killing' behind like the rotten piece of crap it was.