DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bought a new TV

Old 11-29-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Bought a new TV

So I bought a new TV today. (I would be interested in knowing how many Black Friday dollars are spent on "self" versus "other people".)
It's this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=6594118
First - give me validation Is this a good choice? I wanted to keep it under 1k, and at least 60 inches. I don't think I need 3d (especially for 300-500 more), and kicking it up to 65 or 70 inches added multiple hundreds of dollars, and lost the Smart part. OLED is too $ now, and 4k is just a marketing gimmick, based on what I've read so far.
I watch blurays, play Xbox, the occasional DVD, and Netflix. I don't have cable or satellite.

(As a reference point, my current TV is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-60PW93...pr_product_top and it cost about twice what the new Samsung cost.)

* I don't think I trust wallmounting, plus, I don't have a good wall to mount it on, so I'm going to put it on something. I have a wood coffee table - is that trustworthy until I can get an actual stand? Any recommendations for non-mounting stand options for big TVs? I have a component rack already so that is not necessary, although it might be wise of me to take this opportunity to reallocate/remove/reorganize a bit.

* It has a digital tuner. I don't have a cable/sat box or subscription. What are my (easy, cheap) options for getting networks? Ideally HD. I missed the whole converterbox/analog to digital thing a few years back.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I set it up tomorrow
Old 11-29-14, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bought a new TV

Since it has a digital tuner, all you are going to need to pick up over-the-air networks is a simple "rabbit ears" antenna.

Stay away from the marketing gimmick of "HD digital" antenna. I wouldn't pay over $20.

Although it does depend on your location, check http://www.tvfool.com to see which digital signals you'd be able to pull in.
Old 11-29-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

You DO need 3D!
Old 11-29-14, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Looks like you lost about 250 lbs.
Old 11-29-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

dtcarson how's the picture quality?

Thought about picking up a 55" and 40" for myself and parents.
Old 11-29-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, I think the thing is pretty much set up. May have some more tweaking to do with my Harmony, and it turns out I had to move my PS2 and Wii (which I never played anyway) to the old TV and took this opportunity to get rid of my paperweight HDDVD player.
I need one more optical cable to go from the TV to my receiver so I can get multichannel on the smart apps (ok, Netflix). I'll probably pick up another antenna to try as well, but I don't know if the issue is the antenna, my "install", or my location - I get between 3 and 7 channels via the antenna. However, I have some cheapo antenna, and it's just tossed in the corner of the room, so it's decidedly not optimal. (I also live down a hill and am surrounded by trees and houses.)

No, I don't (want to) need 3d My BD player actually is 3d but I just didn't see the need for it.

The thing is tiny compared to my old one, I gained like 12 square feet in the room.

Picture on HD content (BD, Xbox, even dvds) looks quite good. I haven't really taken it for a content test drive or tweaked any settings, I've just made sure the content turns on. I will probably watch something worthwhile tonight, and/or play some Xbox.
Old 11-29-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's wrong with your wall for mounting? A 50lb TV is real easy to hang on a wall. Decor issue? Meanwhile, setting it on a table is precarious. I would say you should definitely mount something of that size to something.
Old 11-29-14, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't trust myself to mount it on the wall, I don't know if I want to pay a couple hundred bucks to do so, and the place I would mount it is on an exterior wall between two windows. There might not even be enough room.

I looked at a couple of stands today at walmart but didn't purchase (not enough room in the car, and not enough research/planning).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Hom...to-65/34703231 - which is basically a stand/shelving unit
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whalen-TV-...s-TVs/20629128 which is mounting, to the stand/shelf itself.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Techni-Mob...ishes/15529768
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Espresso-W...to-60/22150788

Are those mount-to-the-metal-thing-sticking-up ones reliable?
Old 11-29-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson

Reviews look very solid for that nice stand.
Old 11-30-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts

Couple of videos I found on Youtube for Whalen 3-in-1 stands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOB65fRNJVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXXACDbFZRE
Old 11-30-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should be, conceptually. Although read reviews for any particular one, of course. I know people are paranoid about hanging expensive TVs, which makes sense, but that really isn't a lot of weight from a physics standpoint. You do want to do it properly, though.

Alternatively, you could bolt the base to a table/stand that doesn't have a mount, that would make it solid. Although, this would be tougher if you ask me. Maybe a strap/bracket could be made to go over the base so you wouldn't have to make a hole in it.

A nice place to shop for TV furniture is wayfair.com. Lots of stuff.

I've just seen a lot more tipping off a table than falling off a mount. That's my $.02.
Old 11-30-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I will also chime in that 3D is pretty fun to have in the home, defiantly worth it.
Old 12-01-14, 07:40 AM

3D is just a gimmick. It's to get people to buy it like the 800hz field stuff too.

But we live in a monkey see, monkey do society, so there will always be people to buy into it.

As far as I see it, the only good TV's are Sony, they last longer than a typical house mouse
Old 12-01-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Regarding the antenna, if you're not in a strong signal location, be prepared to spend a bit more on an antenna. Channel Master CM-4221 (or CM-4221HD) is a decent choice.

Yes, there is marketing hype regarding HD & Digital antennas, but in a tough signal location a decent antenna (and proper pointing) can make a big difference. Also, if at all possible you need to get the antenna outside.

As mentioned, http://tvfool.com/ is a good site to see what should be available to you, along with advising on the type of antenna you need to get a particular station.
Old 12-01-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't trust myself to mount it on the wall, I don't know if I want to pay a couple hundred bucks to do so, and the place I would mount it is on an exterior wall between two windows. There might not even be enough room.

I looked at a couple of stands today at walmart but didn't purchase (not enough room in the car, and not enough research/planning).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Hom...to-65/34703231 - which is basically a stand/shelving unit
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whalen-TV-...s-TVs/20629128 which is mounting, to the stand/shelf itself.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Techni-Mob...ishes/15529768
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Espresso-W...to-60/22150788

I purchased a 55" and snagged a wallmount off Monoprice for $12. Once you mark out on where you would like to have the tv placed, it is a very simple job. I am not handy at all and this was a piece of cake...the mount even had a build in bubble level. It will take 2 people to mount the tv itself but it really is fool proof. The whole process took maybe 30 minutes.
Old 12-01-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Agreed that 3d is a useless fad and you shouldn't waste your money on it.
As for wall mounting a tv, it really is pretty simple, provided you have a bit of knowledge with tools and construction. We arent talking about you need to have built a house by yourself, but as long as oyu know what the inside of your wall looks like, you would be fine. I have wall mounted exactly one TV. By far, the majority of TVs that I have owned or seen at friends houses have been on stands. Especially the bigger panels.
Old 12-01-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As for the stands, it depends on how many components you have. I prefer the open ones, so that components can breathe and get alot of airflow over them. I also find that the open stands tend to get less cluttered, as you see every little thing that is on them, and behind them. Which is a negative, as you see the wires hanging down.
Old 12-01-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jjcool
Agreed that 3d is a useless fad and you shouldn't waste your money on it.
People have been saying this for years, and I am just sitting here watching all my awesome 3D content. (Watched Dial M For Murder in 3D just last night).
Old 12-01-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As for the stands, it depends on how many components you have. I prefer the open ones, so that components can breathe and get alot of airflow over them. I also find that the open stands tend to get less cluttered, as you see every little thing that is on them, and behind them. Which is a negative, as you see the wires hanging down.
The other caveat is you need to dust a lot.
Old 12-02-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
People have been saying this for years, and I am just sitting here watching all my awesome 3D content. (Watched Dial M For Murder in 3D just last night).
Maybe you have to go back that far to find some decent use of 3d.
Current 3d movie offerings have been quite lackluster.

Originally Posted by Spiky
The other caveat is you need to dust a lot.
That is true.
Old 12-02-14, 06:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

some have been lackluster, although all have had a little something extra, but others have been fantastic and makes depth and some colors just pop. i love having a 3D setup, but it was funny that the box it came in (Sony 55" something) did not advertise it was 3D. i had to look real hard @ BB.com to see it listed as a passive 3D TV.
Old 12-02-14, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did get an antenna - 40 bucks from Walmart, just plugged it in and put it on my window sill, and I get 17 channels that all look great, instead of 5, 2 of which came in well and 3 of which were in Spanish.

I don't watch much live TV but it's nice to have for special events, at least 40$ worth.
3d - I have seen some good 3d displays in the stores, but it wasn't worth the extra money for me.
Still haven't bought a mount/stand yet. (I've been away from the house since Sunday.)

Now I've got 6 components, I guess. BD, DVD, receiver, Xbox, center speaker, and Kinect. Right now they're on an open shelf and yes there's an octopus nest of wires behind them. Always has been, and removing three components really didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-03-14, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is true.
And watched the Lego movie last night with Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes and Days of Future past both incoming in the mail. You are highly misinformed on the subject.
Old 12-03-14, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did get an antenna - 40 bucks from Walmart, just plugged it in and put it on my window sill, and I get 17 channels that all look great, instead of 5, 2 of which came in well and 3 of which were in Spanish.

I don't watch much live TV but it's nice to have for special events, at least 40$ worth.
3d - I have seen some good 3d displays in the stores, but it wasn't worth the extra money for me.
Still haven't bought a mount/stand yet. (I've been away from the house since Sunday.)

Now I've got 6 components, I guess. BD, DVD, receiver, Xbox, center speaker, and Kinect. Right now they're on an open shelf and yes there's an octopus nest of wires behind them. Always has been, and removing three components really didn't seem to make that much of a difference.

Thanks for the feedback!
Which antenna did you get? I have been checking out the Mohu Leaf antennas since I've been following the thread. Those seem to have good reviews. But it does ultimately boil down to location, location, location. Not only where your home is located, but where the antenna is located as well.

As for the octupus, I've got the same thing going on. There are wire management options out there. I have tried using the velcro cord wrap things (looks sort of like a zip tie but it is velcro) to at least bundle alot of the wires together so it is one big wire instead of thirty small ones.
Old 12-03-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
And watched the Lego movie last night with Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes and Days of Future past both incoming in the mail. You are highly misinformed on the subject.
Ahh yes. Forgot about the 3d fanboys that get their panties in a bunch anytime someone has a differing opinion on their precious 3d. Anyone without your particular opinion on a subject is "highly misinformed".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.