Reload this Page >

Black Friday 2014

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Black Friday 2014

Old 11-28-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Black Friday 2014

It feels so odd that there isn't a thread here; the bargins/deals we found this year.

Granted 2014's BF participation is waning - as talked about in a different thread.

I'm curious to see what you guys/gals added to your pile. So I'll go first...

Mine was limited to Wal-Mart only. I saw the deals offered at Best Buy and Target, not stirred; stuff I ready have or titles I have no interest in.

I was present at WM before 6 PM, before they had to halt customers from entry. I found the media locale and waited. The second store happened this afternoon. I could not find any copies of "Downton Abbey", but struck gold at the second. These are all DVDs.

Store #1:
Amazing Spider-Man 2
Arrow: The Complete First Season
Arrow: The Complete Second Season
Band Of Brothers (2010 re-release, tin)
Falling Skies: The Complete First Season
Ghost Team One
Good Day To Die Hard, A
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
House Of Cards: The Complete First Season
House Of Cards: The Complete Second Season
Klondike
Pretty Little Liars: The Complete Fourth Season
R.I.P.D.
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Titanic: 100th Anniversary Collection
White Queen, The

Store #2:
Downton Abbey: Season 1
Downton Abbey: Season 2
Downton Abbey: Season 3
Downton Abbey: Season 4
Violet & Daisy

Both times the crowd was tight; lots of folks looking and grabbing titles. When I left the first store - close to eight. I saw the line waiting to go inside stretched nearly to the end of shopping center.

Sorry, I have a phone-phone which happens to have a low res camera. But you get the general idea. I will say the line was slighty shorter than last year. Last year it reach beyond the 99 Cent Only store.

I witnessed zero fist fights or tantrums; everyone was well mannered. But it wouldn't be Wal-Mart without people in Mobility-Scooters.

As for today, no lines to get in, but mess to navigate inside. But more of the same; folks were polite.

What were your BF acquisitions?
Old 11-28-14, 11:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: Black Friday 2014

We have a haul thread that's been going for a week or so, pretty active. In BD bargains maybe.
Old 11-28-14, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did most of my shopping online

I ordered from Best Buy 3 times (because for some reason, you can only add 15 items at a time).

Best Buy weborder #1
Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn
Good Will Hunting
Gullivers Travels
21 Jump Street
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
The Purge
Legends of Oz: Dorothys Return
Worlds End
Dirty Dancing
321 Frankie Go Boom
Guns Girls and Gambling
Shallow Hal
Bridget Jones's Diary
Kill Bill Vol 1

Best Buy weborder #2
Death Race
Death Race 2
Blue Crush
Werewolf: Beast Among Us
The Three Stooges
United 93
Balls of Fury
Man on Fire
Cedar Rapids
Inside Man
Silent Night
SEAL Team Six
Jingle All The Way
All Is Bright
Wolfman

Best Buy weborder #3
The Notebook
Warm Bodies
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
Super 8
Titanic
American Wedding
Twilight
Twilight: Eclipse
Twilight: New Moon
Traitor
Brothers Grimm
Kill Bill Vol 2
Insidious 2

I saw the Fox Connect thread on this forum, and ordered these:

Louie Season 1
Louie Season 2
Wilfred Season 1
Wilfred Season 2
Archer Season 1
Archer Season 2
Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder
Futurama: Benders Game

Target online:
Here Comes the Boom
Zero Dark Thirty
Django Unchained
American Hustle
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Achorman
Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows 1
Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows 2
Ice Age: Continental Drift
Hotel Transylvania

WB Store online:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Fail Safe
Return of the King (Cartoon)
Dead Pool (Dirty Harry)
African Queen
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Sybil
Heaven and earth
Jack Frost
Enforcer (Dirty Harry)
The Hobbit (cartoon)

I went to Target, Big Lots, Kmart and Walmart during Black Friday. This is what I picked up in-store.

Big Lots:
Big Lewboski
Fatal Attraction
Indecent Proposal
Real Time
War of the Arrows
Shaolin: Protect the Temple
The Counterfeiters
My Way
Warriors of the Rainbows

Walmart: (I was a little disappointed in Walmarts offerings)
Ice Age: Christmas
Sherlock Holmes
The Departed
Mud

Target:
Nut Job
47 Ronin
Nebraska
A Million Ways to Die in the West
Justice League War
Hobbit: The Desolation Smag
ET
Pitch Perfect
Monuments Men
Son of Batman
The Wolverine

I didn't find anything at Kmart. It sucks you couldn't order from Walmarts website.
Old 11-29-14, 12:21 AM

Now that's a haul ClintFunHome.

I did look for "Legends Of Oz: Dorothys Return" at Best Buy on Wednesday, but could not find it. Oh well.
Old 11-29-14, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Worst BF for me ever. Total score 5 USB Flash drives (1 of which was due more to a refund for 2 defective drives than BF, & the other 4 are too slow for there intended purpose (hi res music).

In mid November for my birthday I got myself the Bowie 3 cd best of (it was $11 at BB) with a coupon & a cheap back up cel flip phone that arrived today.

DD Pretty well screwed up the rest of it: they sold 3 of 4 pieces to people who ordered after me, & 12 days after the release date never got the item I really wanted so I canceled (I hate Super D anyway).

My film tastes tend towards the classics, & other then recent restorations I have most of them; there is very little in other people's lists that I have an interest in owning (unless I already own it!).
Old 11-29-14, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

This is the thread you are looking for:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bar...ul-thread.html
Old 11-29-14, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In clintfunhome's haul, I think we have the winner! Impressive!

For myself, in addition to three blu rays, I picked up nine DVDs. From Target Big Bang S7 and Psych S8, both $10. From Walmart...Mud, Sherlock Game of Shadows, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Titanic, Super 8, Gangster Squad (all $2) and Percy Jackson/Monsters ($4). That'll be all, unless some online deal I can't refuse comes along.
Old 11-29-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan
It feels so odd that there isn't a thread here; the bargins/deals we found this year.
I think that has lots to do with many members no longer purchasing DVD product unless there's no BR offering available. If you follow the BR bargains threads you'll see the occasional DVD mentioned but it's typically only when there's no BR release for said title. It annoys me we still have the format separation and I would like to see the 2 sections rejoined, but that's another topic.

Not yet owning a BR player I felt somewhat alone in looking for bargains this year. Frequently I could use the info in the BR threads to hit upon semi-identical offerings for the DVD or get a BR/DVD combo pack for only a $1 or $2 more than the DVD only. For some titles I went that route.

I posted my list in the thread in the BR area.
Old 11-29-14, 03:22 PM

An observation.

At the first store; the cardboard shelf with the BDs were mostly intact - they had their own section.

The second store had the BDs in front of the DVDs on the shelf, spines showing. I saw folks move the Blus out of the way for the DVDs behind. I did see people buy them, but not even close to the DVD purchases.

This could very well be a regional thing, I'm in Southern California. Both store have limited Blu-Rays on sale (regular retail) in the isles, the rest are DVDs. So that was probably a factor.
Old 11-29-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

^I don't know about location being a factor. I'm in the Mid-South and the WM stores here have a 75/25 ratio of DVD to BR on the shelves. People here don't seem to have taken to the format and this seems to be the stock pattern at most stores here other than Target who has about a 50/50 stock.

If I were to venture out to WM this evening I'm pretty sure I could find just about all the BR sale titles I wanted but would be limited on the DVD ones.
Old 11-29-14, 04:51 PM

Sorry to hear that BobO'Link.

I pretty much got what I wanted this year; minus "Despicable Me 2", the only copies I saw did not come with the slipcover and it was eight bucks. I've seen it on sale for ten, so no. I'll wait for it to drop lower - with slip.

Other than that, I'm happy.
Old 11-30-14, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm including prices in case it's helpful for someone, though at least many of these are no longer valid.

Target had a decent TV DVD sale late October, so in preparation I grabbed:

$15 Modern Family S5 DVD
$15 The Good Wife S5 DVD
$15 Pretty Little Liars S4 DVD (returned when seen at BF for a lower price)
$15 Walking Dead S2 DVD (returned when seen at BF for a lower price)
$15 Walking Dead S3 DVD (returned when seen at BF for a lower price)

(Interestingly, those titles bought in October needed to be returned in 30 days, but those purchased 11/1/14 had until 1/15/15)

From FoxConnect:
$3.49 The Oranges DVD
$7.99 The Family BR
$3.49 October Baby DVD (for gifting purposes)
$6.49 Love Comes Softly 10th Anniversary 10 Film Complete Collection DVD (this is/will also be a gift)
$15.99 The Wolverine: Unleashed Extended Edition 3D BR
$7.99 Kingdom of Heaven Ultimate Edition BR

I would have ordered more, but was limited due to the $100 maximum per order.

I then Price-matched Amazon's pre-BF earlier in the week (probably overpaying a bit in retrospect, but I was motivated for POI S3 especially, as I had missed the last few eps. and hate to watch on the computer):
$12 Community S5 DVD
$17 Hell on Wheels S3 DVD
$15 Person of Interest S3 DVD

WM 1st website visit
$10 Justified S4 DVD
$10 Homeland S2 DVD
$10 Walking Dead 3 DVD

And may I say just how much their site sucks. So so many log outs, and was unable to load the wish list dozens of times and when I was trying to check out and everything was finally (almost) done then it changed my pick-up location from Torrance to Paramount dozens of miles away %$#@. In the interim then another title sold out (although you could still add it to your cart, just not check out with it).

On Thursday at 5:20 PM the Target line was too long so I drove over to WM....

WM in-store
$10 Arrow S2 DVD
$10 Supernatural S9 DVD

Both picked up from the regular movie/TV section, as they weren't selling BF stuff until 8:00 PM, but were still pretty busy. Much better than the reputation (or their website) though. I then headed back to Target and around 6:30 PM their line was gone.

Target in-store
$1 Parkland DVD
$8 House of Cards S2 DVD
$9 Chef DVD
$10 Mad Men Final Season Part I w/Exclusive Target disc DVD
$10 TVD S5 w/Exclusive Target disc DVD
$10 Pretty Little Liars S4 DVD
$10 Walking Dead S2 DVD

Everything was available (except for a shortage of $1 DVD's). The line was fairly long but well-organized. Only problem was that as soon as I got to the cashier then I started explaining how I needed two separate transactions but she immediately started scanning away. That cashier didn't really care, and had trouble getting a supervisor over to help, but when someone finally came then that person was extra nice and understanding. Really great experience, but for the one cashier.

Amazon Order #1
$12 Person of Interest S2 DVD
$17 True Detective DVD
$9 Raze DVD
$4 Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem Extreme Unrated BR

Amazon Order #2
$10 Spartacus Vengeance BR
$8 3 Days to Kill BR
$11 GI Joe: Retaliation BR/DVD Combo
$8 Anchorman 2 BR/DVD Combo
$4 Gravity BR/DVD Combo

WM 2nd site visit
$8.96 2 Broke Girls S3 DVD

^ The title that sold out Thursday morning online, and that WM e-mailed me to remind me I'd left in my cart, and promised to e-mail me when it was back in-stock (but didn't), somehow was available Friday night for pick-up. I'm too tired to care, another one checked off.

WM in-store on Saturday (I was surprised to see Justified S5 on the shelves already, but maybe they got it for an early release?)
$4 Klondike DVD mini-series (glad to pick this up for a price I'm willing to pay)
$5 The Other Woman BR (after $5 off manufacturer's coupon)

Amazon Order #3 (was mostly video games)
$10 Americans S1 DVD

Overall I'm fairly happy and very relieved that I got everything I wanted from the ads and continued my tradition of managing without Amazon Prime. I thought about blind-buying Longmire, but have a lot of unwatched stuff already. Maybe next year if it's available?

I passed on cheap Newsroom and Boardwalk Empire in case complete series sets might be coming? I would have liked to have seen some better prices on some of the other CW TV shows, and would really have liked to see some good prices on the ABC TV shows (though I know not to expect them until December) and some Marvel movies like Thor 2, Iron Man 3 and Cap 2, but hopefully those'll be on sale in the next month or two also. There are some other miscellaneous titles it would have been nice to see, like some of the recent Syfy (Warehouse 13 S5 with 6 eps can't go below $20?) or BBC shows, and Grimm S1 and S2 have been on sale in past years but it looks like S3 is being passed over, at least so far. I went to BB today and that was a waste. The only one that interested me was that they have Nymphomaniac the Director's cut on BR for $12.99, but no sign of the DVD and they couldn't find either(!) version of the DC in their computer when I asked. Ah well, so long as all the ABC/Disney stuff goes on sale then I'm feeling good enough.

Last edited by Strapped4Cash; 11-30-14 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-30-14, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for the lack of commenting then I'd guess that many people have moved to the BR area (or another site). It's interesting in that based on all the sales figures that I ever see then DVD's continue to outsell Blu's. It may be that there are some here who do purchase at least some DVD's, but don't mention it as so many commenters appear to have switched exclusively to Blu (the cool thing to do apparently). I prefer DVD's myself (except for films with little to no people in them), but I'm also obsessive about extras, so more than I'd like then I'll buy the BR and then watch it on an older TV to try to lose some of the definition.