Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gotham (S1E10) -- "LoveCraft" -- 11/24/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Gotham (S1E10) -- "LoveCraft" -- 11/24/14

GORDON IS REASSIGNED TO ARKHAM ON AN ALL-NEW "GOTHAM" MONDAY, NOVEMBER 24, ON FOX

Selina leads a new friend on a perilous journey through Gotham to evade the assassins who are on her trail. Following a misstep, Gordon is reassigned to duty at Arkham Asylum in the all-new "Lovecraft" episode of GOTHAM airing Monday, Nov. 24 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GTH-110) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Cast: Ben McKenzie as Detective James Gordon, Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock, Jada Pinkett Smith as Fish Mooney, Sean Pertwee as Alfred, Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin, Erin Richards as Barbara Kean, David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne, Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle/the future Catwoman, Zabryna Guevara as Captain Sarah Essen, Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma/the future Riddler, Victoria Cartagena as Renee Montoya, Andrew Stewart Jones as Crispus Allen, John Doman as Carmine Falcone

Guest Cast: Richard Kind as Mayor James, Drew Powell as Butch Gilzean, Mackenzie Leigh as Liza, Nicholas D'Agosto as Harvey Dent, Kyle Massey as Mackey

Read more: Listings - GOTHAM on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3K2sGt3Ui

Episode 10 of 22

Will return January 5, 2015
Old 11-24-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Kids go up there all the time to make out."
Yes, apparently the threat of falling to your death is romantic.

I love the hell out of this version of Alfred. He must have some backstory as being military or something. Awfully spry for a guy who took a bullet. He as smart enough to figure out the assassin's game, most TV characters wouldn't have gotten it until they were unconscious. So why'd Fish listen when he buttered her up? She didn't want the backlash from Wayne Enterprises, or was just pleased that he knew how to be respectful?

Surprised Bruce didn't tell Cat to piss off for bailing on him, he's lucky the assassin didn't kill him.

The Lovecraft name was a nice touch on the part of the writers since it obviously ties in with Arkham.

Wish Dent would've shown the balls to have something really incriminating on the mayor and go to bat (no pun intended) for Gordon. Gordon had to take the fall for Lovecraft, I'm guessing the mayor is in Falcone's pocket.

What's Penguin's endgame? Why not just reveal the mole and turn the cards over? Is he trying to get them both into a position where he can kill them? One of them is going to figure it out.

Wonder what the next arc is going to be, why are they sending Gordon to Arkham?
Old 11-24-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Gotham (S1E10) -- "LoveCraft" -- 11/24/14

Was not really interested in any of the stuff between Cat/Bruce. Alfred is pretty awesome though.

I guess the show is on break now until January.

Found this on the assassin.

Larissa Diaz is not a character from the comics, but it is the given name of the female assassin who drives much of tonight's action.

As she got away and lived to fight another episode, fans will no doubt look for some connection to the Batman mythos for the character played by Lesley-Ann Brandt.

Well, DC Entertainment is calling her Copperhead, which is the name of a DC Comics supervillain. In the comics, he's male, metahuman, has snakelike scales, etc. So...not at all like this lady, as awesome as she might be. The closest we get to her being snakelike is the way she wraps herself around Gordon when she beats him up before she kills Lovecraft.

There's a Diaz in the Batman Universe, but it would be a really, really long shot to assume there was any connection. Still, we will mention her because otherwise, readers will. Ryan Diaz is a woman who was introduced in 2006's Nightwing #125 as a potential love interest for Dick Grayson. She made only six appearances, though, so...probably not.

Interestingly: in the New 52, Copperhead has only appeared a couple of times, including once where he was supposed to kill Catwoman (sound familiar?)...although he failed (obviously).
Old 11-25-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Enjoyed this episode very much, my favorite episode, so far.
Old 11-25-14, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I liked the stuff between Bruce and Selina in this episode. For a second, I thought they had introduced us to Lady Shiva. Though she's usually depicted as more Asian in appearance.

A television show finally used Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as the fighting system of choice for a female combatant. Joint locking tactics would be a woman's only real option in a street fight without weapons. Everything else is fantasy.
Old 11-25-14, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the entire episode. Alfred was a badass and gentleman. Bruce and Selina were good together. Poison Ivy was a little odd but she was ok also. Her acting skills aren't as strong as the other two kids.

The only bad point or weak point was making the woman assassin overly sexual.
Old 11-25-14, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
The only bad point or weak point was making the woman assassin overly sexual.
Showing pre-teen kids making world-record long jumps was pretty weak.
Old 11-25-14, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I liked the stuff between Bruce and Selina in this episode. For a second, I thought they had introduced us to Lady Shiva. Though she's usually depicted as more Asian in appearance. A television show finally used Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as the fighting system of choice for a female combatant. Joint locking tactics would be a woman's only real option in a street fight without weapons. Everything else is fantasy.
Well, let's face it, a realistic fight scene would only last 20 seconds or so, and that wouldn't be any fun .
Old 11-25-14, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138

Wonder what the next arc is going to be, why are they sending Gordon to Arkham?

To shoehorn in a slew more future Batman villains. Because the approach they were going at it so far wasn't joker mallet over your head as it is.

Can't wait for even more "Oh look, it's Clayface!" and "man, that guy sure knows how to throw his voice, it's like he's a ventriloquist." Not to mention "Boy Victor, why do you like your cell so cold?"
Old 11-25-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by randian
Showing pre-teen kids making world-record long jumps was pretty weak.
I forgot all about the jump. That long view revealed a thirty or forty foot gap between the buildings. Carl Lewis in his long-jumping prime probably couldn't have made that leap.

I imagine we'll see the female assassin again. Presumably she's a member of the League of Assassins.
Old 11-25-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

The Alfred parts were the best part of the episode. I really wish and hope that they do an episode where they explain his backstory a bit. I was also struck at how politically tone deaf Gordon is and how Bullock basically has to explain how things really work in Gotham.

I found Poison Ivy to be really creepy and effective. Bruce and Selina stuff has been watchable the last few weeks and isn't a detriment to the series anymore.
Old 11-25-14, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I liked the fact that they're going with the more resourceful and combat-experienced version from the comics for Alfred rather than the more sage old man version from other mediums. Both Jim and Harvey were like hey, you kicked so much ass back there that we're going to take you along hunting down assassins even though you're not a cop.
Old 11-25-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
The Alfred parts were the best part of the episode. I really wish and hope that they do an episode where they explain his backstory a bit. I was also struck at how politically tone deaf Gordon is and how Bullock basically has to explain how things really work in Gotham.

I found Poison Ivy to be really creepy and effective. Bruce and Selina stuff has been watchable the last few weeks and isn't a detriment to the series anymore.
Originally Posted by DynamicKnight
Yea, I liked the fact that they're going with the more resourceful and combat-experienced version from the comics for Alfred rather than the more sage old man version from other mediums. Both Jim and Harvey were like hey, you kicked so much ass back there that we're going to take you along hunting down assassins even though you're not a cop.
Old 11-25-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't believe how damn good this show is.

I don't get why folks have dropped this show, I think it's gotten better each week, and is an excellent watch on a lot of levels.

Great last couple of eps.

Alfred rocks.
Old 11-25-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
What's Penguin's endgame? Why not just reveal the mole and turn the cards over? Is he trying to get them both into a position where he can kill them? One of them is going to figure it out.
I'm not sure he has a fully formed plan yet. For now, he's got someone who can give him intel on Falcone and Fish.

Count me in as loving this version of Alfred

Hope that Gordon being in Arkham doesn't cut Harvey's screentime too much.
Old 11-25-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy

I don't get why folks have dropped this show, I think it's gotten better each week, and is an excellent watch on a lot of levels.
In some ways, they have made Gotham interesting without a Batman in it. I still think they are walking a tightrope in that regard, even now I keep expecting Batman to pop up from the shadows.

I still think the weak link is the kid actor playing Bruce, though he's gotten a little better since the pilot episode.
Old 11-26-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Alfred rocks.

Agree 100%
Old 11-26-14, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

The girl playing Ivy is good too. That scene between Bruce, Cat, and Ivy was very good.
Old 11-26-14, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Love this show and I didn't expect to. I like that they seem to be going somewhere with it (although I don't know where). I don't think it is a series that will last over 5 seasons, so I would like to see them jump ahead a year or two each season so we see a fully formed Batman by the end.

Also, every time i see Gotham coming at you in the opening I always read it as Got Ham. The way they space the letters is odd.
Old 11-26-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alfred rocks.
Couldn't agree more. I wasn't too warm on this version of Alfred early on, but holy crap he kicks a lot of ass. I was also surprised how much I enjoyed the Bruce/Selina stuff.
Old 11-30-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I too enjoy the direction they are taking. I like the concept of Alfred being a bad ass; it helps explain how Batman got some of his edge. I also like that they didn't go full puppy-love route with Bruce and Selina. They did a great job of setting up how their relationship will be for many years.
Old 11-30-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

bad ass Alfred is awesome
Old 12-11-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

This is by far my favorite live action Alfred. He's such a total badass.

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Was not really interested in any of the stuff between Cat/Bruce. Alfred is pretty awesome though.

I guess the show is on break now until January.

Found this on the assassin.
Copperhead is who I assumed she was, mainly because of her being female and the way she moves felt like a direct homage to the character's re-interpretation in Batman: Arkham Origins.
Old 12-11-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Alfred rocks.
Agree. Great fall Finale. Luckily the break is super short.

Biggest complaints from the haters was that it was too slow or that it was too procedural. Or all the villains suck except Penguin.

I think it really picked up the last few weeks. Bad ass Alfred was awesome and unexpected.
Old 12-12-14, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Alfred is awesome in this show. Reminds me of the butler from Helsing, for any anime watchers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.