Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kaleidescape Adds NBC/Universal and Atmos Content to Online Store

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 11-13-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I dunno if this should go here or the Tech forum so I apologize to the mods if I picked the wrong forum.

A freshly minted deal brings a batch of new titles to Kaleidescape's selection of downloadable content. Also, movies with Atmos soundtracks appear in the online store.

-------

Kaleidescape just announced a deal with NBC/Universal to add that studio's film and TV content to its online store. The additional titles—1000 movies and 210 complete seasons of TV shows—brings the online store's total title count to 8500 movies and 1600 TV seasons, all available as downloads.

Michael Bonner, Executive VP of Digital Distribution at Universal Pictures said “Kaleidescape is focused on the overall experience in purchasing, choosing, and watching movies at home, and we are happy to support a company whose products and services are designed from the ground up for families who own a personal movie library and want a great movie experience every time. We like to support innovative companies within the UltraViolet ecosystem, and Kaleidescape is well-known for its innovative products and services.”

In addition to the new titles from NBC/Universal, I noticed that the Kaleidescape store includes two recently released movies with Atmos mixes—Transformers: Age of Extinction (Universal Studios) and Expendables 3 (Lionsgate Films). I'm still waiting for a copy of Expendables 3 on Blu-ray—to review the soundtrack in Atmos—whereas the online-delivery version from Kaleidescape is available now. I wish there was an affordable, discless device that let me access the Kaleidescape store. One thing is for sure, the company is rapidly expanding its selection of true Blu-ray quality downloads—in my opinion that's the ideal combination of quality, reliability, and convenience.
I wonder how they'll deliver Atmos audio online. Is Dolby Digital Plus capable of being a core for Atmos similar to how Dolby TrueHD is used on BD? JoshZ, anything you might add to this?