Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E07) -- "Million Dollar Decision" -- 11/5/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E07) -- "Million Dollar Decision" -- 11/5/14

THE PRESSURE OF THE GAME FORCES ONE CASTAWAY TO CONTEMPLATE THROWING IN THE TOWEL, ON "SURVIVOR" WEDNESDAY, NOV. 5

"Million Dollar Decision" - The pressure of the game forces one castaway to contemplate throwing in the towel. Also, alliances start to crumble with the impending merge and one castaway commits the ultimate sin, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Nov. 5 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CASTAWAYS:

COYOPA TRIBE HUNAHPU TRIBE

Jon Misch Natalie Anderson

Keith Nale Josh Canfield

Missy Payne Alec Christy

Jaclyn Schultz Jeremy Collins

Baylor Wilson Reed Kelly

Baylor Wilson Julie McGee

Wes Nale

Read more: Listings - SURVIVOR on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3IFOgpDV1

Episode 7 of 14
Old 11-05-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E07) -- "Million Dollar Decision" -- 11/5/14

Jesus Christ. Every year a fucking quitter.
Old 11-05-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I bet she was never really all that interested in being on the show in the first place. Seems more like something that Rocker wanted to do, and she went along for the ride.
Old 11-05-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just in my head that more people seem to quit than ever before?

I just can't stand quitters and she has NO right to be on the reunion show.
Old 11-05-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Not that losing Julie was any big loss or surprise. But something clicked with me while watching this episode ... I don't really like watching these people. #trailmixscandal? Jesus All this outrage over some squirreled away food. Maybe part of the reason these people are hungry is that just about every moment we see them outside of challenges they are either: 1) lying around or sitting on their asses, 2) frolicking in the water, or 3) "strategizing". A couple of episodes ago I saw Keith actually trying to catch fish. But that was only because he wasn't really part of any tight alliance. That's how low "find food your own damn self" is on the totem pole of things to do for these people.
Old 11-05-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

So how do they fix this problem with people quitting? Is it possible to weed these people out before getting on the show? I'm tired of it as well. As it's been stated before, there are people who would give anything to be on the show and yet, you have people walking away from it.
Old 11-05-14, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
So how do they fix this problem with people quitting? Is it possible to weed these people out before getting on the show? I'm tired of it as well. As it's been stated before, there are people who would give anything to be on the show and yet, you have people walking away from it.
I would say their is a 98% chance is she was only cast solely because she is dating John Rocker. Production should have just used him in a different season and put 2 people out there who wanted to be there.
Old 11-05-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
But you don't understand. She had to go A WHOLE 10 DAYS without John Rocker!!! What woman wouldn't crack under such intense torment?

I think the producers could easily cast the show to screen out most of these quitters. It would mean limiting casting to people who are emotionally stable, rational, and responsible. But they'd lose out on potential "drama" doing things that way. And for them, that rates higher than casting people who would be better players.
Old 11-05-14, 11:36 PM

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee

I think the producers could easily cast the show to screen out most of these quitters. It would mean limiting casting to people who are emotionally stable, rational, and responsible. But they'd lose out on potential "drama" doing things that way. And for them, that rates higher than casting people who would be better players.
I would rather they cast for pesonality. This season is meh cause they casted mostly a bunch of competent players who flushed out all the big personality trainwrecks premerge.
Old 11-05-14, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
I would rather they cast for pesonality. This season is meh cause they casted mostly a bunch of competent players who flushed out all the big personality trainwrecks premerge.
No!

One quitter per season is better than one Coach per season IMO.
Old 11-06-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
I agree, this is the first season in a long time that I have absolutely no interest in
Old 11-06-14, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the problem with the show now is that it is over produced. They leave out conversation to be more dramatic. They are obviously heavily coaching people to say what they want. The players are not random enough. I know it can't be completely random but the way it is now is bad.
Old 11-06-14, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So wait. did they not get to keep that new bag of rice that they gave up comfort for last week? I don't see how fucking trail mix, when you were just eating fucking lobster and what not, is such a big deal.
Old 11-06-14, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I liked how after the challenge the one guy talks about how he wished they had some trail mix. Julie should have told him they would have some trail mix now had they not taken the little she put in her bag and eaten it.
Old 11-06-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Probst on ew.com:

I think the answer to why Julie quit might be directly related to what she and her boyfriend John said on day one - “We have never been apart longer than four days.” Based on that fact, I am guessing that the minute John was voted out of the game Julie began to ponder whether she wanted to stay in the game or join John in the non-jury group. Then when she got caught stealing the trail mix and the tribe ostracized her I think the decision became very easy: I’m done. Get me out of here.

Now you might be asking, “Okay, so why not just tell the tribe to vote her out?” To answer that you have to now make another assumption: Julie had a pretty good idea that the next person voted out would not be on the jury but anybody voted out from that point forward would be on the jury. This is key in my hypothesis because I think Julie wanted to be reunited with John, so it was mandatory that she was the next to go home. [ED NOTE: People voted out pre-jury do not see nor stay with those in the jury.] And despite stealing the trail mix there was still no guarantee she would be voted out next because the battle of alliances was very strong. Turns out, she would have been right in her concern as it appears Jeremy was going to be blindsided. Had Julie not quit she would have made the jury and would not have seen John until the end of the game. That’s the only reason I can think of to explain her quit. She wasn’t in bad shape physically or emotionally, there didn’t appear to be any urgency, so why not just let it take care of itself at tribal with no stigma.
I just don't see Julie as being that smart about how things are going to work. Seems to me that they might be feeding this kind of info to the contestants. Similar to what Jackskeleton just mentioned as well. I wonder if folks were asked about the trail mix in order to stir things up? Seemed like a silly thing that everyone got worked up about.

Another Probst quote:

We are the ones who put the contestants on the show. We test them, we talk to them, we study their psych reports and then we make a decision to give them one of our very valuable spots. If they quit, it’s on us. We either missed it, or in the case of Julie we anticipated it but put them on anyway.
Old 11-06-14, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The trail mix was beyond stupid. It's called survivor, and she kept some food for herself. Grow the fuck up people. Horrible cast and season.

But lets be honest, usually the girl with the big boobs is first to go. Surprised she lasted as long as she did.
Old 11-06-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm really surprised this season seems so lackluster to me, too, especially when the first Blood vs Water was a great season.

I thought Jeff was soft on Julie's quitting, and his quotes to EW sure confirm why.
Old 11-06-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that was the most laid back I remember Jeff being about a quit, he either usually tries to talk them out of it or if he doesn't like them he berates them. This time he was pretty much "Cool, see ya."
Old 11-06-14, 01:04 PM

The psych test thing that Probst mentioned sounds nice until one remembers that the nutjob Hantz (Brandon?) seemed to get through that 'vigorous' screening. Jtia also did not seem to be the most stable of individuals. I assume those screenings are largely CYA for legal purposes and maybe to identify the nutballs to cast a few on the show (and the cynic in me thinks it could be a way to create future drama in the game by knowing what might set them off). But with Julie, did Probst really say they ANTICIPATED her quitting, and cast her anyway? That's kind of ridiculous.

I wonder given how lame this season has been if they will go back to a returning player season or one of the bad hybrid approaches or co-star seasons. I don't want that, but they seem to be trying gimmicks (blood vs water, exile island, redemption island, muiltple immunity idols handed out like candy) to create drama and that seems more miss than hit.

It's almost like they should go back to basics... cast players who will play the game hard, eliminate the superfluous/gimmicky stuff and the #drama_storyline manipulations
Old 11-06-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Does the guy (forget his name) get to keep his immunity for another week? I'd be pretty ticked if I won immunity, there was no tribal, and I had to give it back. You'd think they'd let TWO people have the immunity necklace next week.
Old 11-06-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
I wonder given how lame this season has been if they will go back to a returning player season or one of the bad hybrid approaches or co-star seasons. I don't want that, but they seem to be trying gimmicks (blood vs water, exile island, redemption island, muiltple immunity idols handed out like candy) to create drama and that seems more miss than hit.
At the rate they're going with people quitting the show, they can have a "Victors vs. Quitters" season in a few more years.
Old 11-06-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
At the rate they're going with people quitting the show, they can have a "Victors vs. Quitters" season in a few more years.
Hell, they're just about ready for an "all quitters" edition. Which will only run for 4 weeks

Last edited by brainee; 11-06-14 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-06-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
But with Julie, did Probst really say they ANTICIPATED her quitting, and cast her anyway? That's kind of ridiculous.
It is, but I do get it. Essentially, they wanted John, her boyfriend. He's high profile (for Survivor) with a controversial past, plus he's a hothead who swears he's changed and wants redemption. Perfect for the show. But knowing they're doing a Blood vs Water edition, they needed to put his wife through, too, or risk losing him. For the producers, it's worth the risk. Plus, his wife is attractive, and they do like to have lots of...enhancements...on the show.

Same thing with Brandon Hantz. Sure, he was unstable. But they knew he'd make for great TV (in their opinion), so they risked it.
Old 11-06-14, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm wondering how many of these pairs initially applied for the Amazing Race and got steered to Survivor instead.
Old 11-07-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Natalie is a lot less annoying when there's only one of her, and when she doesn't get much screen time.

Originally Posted by Axeramm
I liked how after the challenge the one guy talks about how he wished they had some trail mix. Julie should have told him they would have some trail mix now had they not taken the little she put in her bag and eaten it.
I was unclear whether she knew that the trail mix had been taken. She probably did, but they didn't show it.

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
It is, but I do get it. Essentially, they wanted John, her boyfriend. He's high profile (for Survivor) with a controversial past, plus he's a hothead who swears he's changed and wants redemption. Perfect for the show. But knowing they're doing a Blood vs Water edition, they needed to put his wife through, too, or risk losing him. For the producers, it's worth the risk. Plus, his wife is attractive, and they do like to have lots of...enhancements...on the show.
Girlfriend, technically, but yeah. If they wanted him, they needed her, or his mother or something. "I raised John to be a nice boy!"