Reload this Page >

American Horror Story: Freak Show (S4E05) -- "Pink Cupcakes" -- 11/5/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-05-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Chapter 5 / Production #405 - "Pink Cupcakes" (Airs November 5, 10:00 pm e/p) - Stanley and Maggie hatch a plan to murder the Freaks. Gloria hides the evidence of Dandy's gruesome new hobby. A health scare reveals Desiree may not be the oddity she once thought. Written by Jessica Sharzer; directed by Michael Uppendahl.

Read more: Listings - AMERICAN HORROR STORY on FX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3IFODScav

Episode 5 of 13
Old 11-05-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Freak Show (S4E05) -- "Pink Cupcakes" -- 11/5/14

The music and the way they use it does not belong in this show and destroys any kind of atmosphere or tension that they have created.
Old 11-06-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The music and the way they use it does not belong in this show and destroys any kind of atmosphere or tension that they have created.
Came here to post the same exact thing. Now, once in a while, a single anachronistic song can really be effective (think of the Cat People song used in Inglorious Basterds), but the background choices of Fame and Slave to Love really were poorly done.
Old 11-06-14, 06:49 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah, poor choice of Fame especially. Decent episode otherwise, but completely agree the music took us out of the episode. Liked seeing Matt Bomer show up -- if only for a few mins.
Old 11-06-14, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... I was hoping this question had already been asked and answered, but since it hasn't:

What on Earth was the deal with the fractured timeline/alternate reality/fantasy sequence involving the twins? It made absolutely zilch in the way of sense. Was it *really* so simple as a cheap parlor trick on the writers parts, seeking to make us believe they'd killed off the worst character on the show for all of thirty seconds?

I can't accept that. Either they *really* overestimated the viewer reaction to a scene showing a main characters death, only to pull it back within seconds, or it had some other meaning I'm missing. If they'd played around with it longer? Making the viewers believe they'd killed the twins as a cliffhanger, or even half an episode? Sure, I'd buy it. That short, however, it only wasted time... nothing else.

Plus, it seemed damn out of place if it were a fantasy from the creepy freak "collector." A. They haven't done anything like that before last night. B. If it *were* his fantasy, don't you think, oh, I dunno... it'd be an actual dream scenario? Instead of his being chastised for one being in a further state of decay, because one didn't eat the cupcake? Like, if it had been meant to show us his dream outcome, having them both take a bite of it?

I'm hoping that gets returned to/addressed further (As in it wasn't simply a fantasy, but rather something more... supernatural/strange), because as it stands it's bizarre and a cheap, low-down tactic almost as bad as killing everybody off last season then resurrecting them five minutes later.
Old 11-06-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

So does that mean the painted seal man wasn't killed by the collector too? I agree, it was annoying to trick us like that. I would have preferred if that had been really been what happened.

I also hate the shots where they only show Bette's head or only show Dot's head. It's always a shot where the head is tilted in the very corner of the screen. I can see why they would do...so that not every shot of her is an FX shot, but it's still annoying. They could at least show other characters in shots framed the same way.
Old 11-07-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I also hate the shots where they only show Bette's head or only show Dot's head.
I have always taken that as an attempt to show them as individuals, despite being connected.
Plus, it does save on an effects shot $$, I imagine.

Wasn't a huge fan of this ep overall, and other than rich-boy-turned-killer I'm not really seeing a central plot now that Twisty is gone.
Old 11-07-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That picture in the OP is truly horrifying.
Old 11-07-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't a big fan of the musical number in this episode. I didn't care for the storyline with Angela Basset's character. I did like the fantasy sequences of Denis O'Hare's character killing and displaying the freaks at the museum.
Old 11-07-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the point of the musical number was to be bad. The story wouldn't make sense if it was good.
Old 11-10-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

This damn show. It always starts out so good. Then there's one episode where I start to think "why in the hell am I watching this?" And the episodes start backing up on my DVR. This was that episode.

I have a theory that this show is only supposed to be good through Halloween.
Old 11-11-14, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

^^ Yep... but usually it's at least 7 episodes in. This one came unusually early.
Old 11-11-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
This damn show. It always starts out so good. Then there's one episode where I start to think "why in the hell am I watching this?" And the episodes start backing up on my DVR. This was that episode.

I have a theory that this show is only supposed to be good through Halloween.
Really? I think this season is awesome so far. The only season that I saw the nose dive coming was Coven.

Poor Neal Caffrey. Burke is gonna be ticked when he finds out what happened to him.
Old 11-11-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Really? I think this season is awesome so far. The only season that I saw the nose dive coming was Coven.

Poor Neal Caffrey. Burke is gonna be ticked when he finds out what happened to him.
Burke is too busy with his crazy Hydra brother on Agents of SHIELD :P
Old 11-11-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

I've only seen the first episode of this season...thought it was OK...so, has this season been a step up from Coven, at least?