Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gotham (S1E07) -- "Penguin's Umbrella" -- 11/3/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Gotham (S1E07) -- "Penguin's Umbrella" -- 11/3/14

A NEW LEADER WILL RISE IN GOTHAM CITY ON AN ALL-NEW "GOTHAM" MONDAY, NOVEMBER 3, ON FOX

As violence between Maroni (guest star David Zayas) and Falcone continues to escalate, Penguin reveals a new component of his manipulative strategy, forcing Gordon to deal with the consequences of his decision to spare Penguin's life in the all-new "Penguin's Umbrella" episode of GOTHAM airing Monday, Nov. 3 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GTH-107) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Cast: Ben McKenzie as Detective James Gordon, Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock, Jada Pinkett Smith as Fish Mooney, Sean Pertwee as Alfred, Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin, Erin Richards as Barbara Kean, David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne, Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle/the future Catwoman, Zabryna Guevara as Captain Sarah Essen, Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma/the future Riddler, Victoria Cartagena as Renee Montoya, Andrew Stewart Jones as Crispus Allen, John Doman as Carmine Falcone

Guest Cast: Richard Kind as Mayor James, Drew Powell as Butch Gilzean, Anthony Carrigan as Victor Zsaszs, Mekia Cox as Dr. Leslie Thompkins, David Zayas as Maroni, Jeremy Davidson as Nikolai, Danny Mastrogiorgio and Mackenzie Leigh as Liza.

Read more: Listings - GOTHAM on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3I3IsqSyh

Episode 7 of 22
Old 11-03-14, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Gotham (S1E07) -- "Penguin's Umbrella" -- 11/3/14

That was a pretty nice twist at the end. I didn't see it coming.
Old 11-03-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome episode!
Old 11-04-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought this was the best episode so far. Lord Voldemort was very different from the comics and video games. Of course he could go insane later down the road.

Barbra is going to be the Lois Lane of the show by getting in trouble and making things more difficult.

I like the double meaning of the title. At first I thought Penguin would get a special umbrella. Half way through I figured they meant the umbrella he is casting over everybody.

I hope they have the scary version of Calendar Man in the show. Might be to dark for this show.
Old 11-04-14, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow. i thought that was EXTREMELY good and a twist I did not see coming. Thought Gotham was a silly idea but it has been awesome so far. And it is so far not predictable at all.
Old 11-04-14, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"It's a toxic dump, built over an Indian burial ground."

"How'd you come up with that plan? Sat down with a chimpanzee and a bucket of coke?"

Loved this episode and how The Penguin's playing everyone. But one complaint: I know Gotham PD has an uneasy truce with the gangs, but no way would they let them just walk into the police station and kill one of their own.

Oh, and Barbara is an idiot.
Old 11-04-14, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Really disappointed with this episode. First Gordon stupidly assumes he's safe from the 3 goons sent to take him because he's surrounded by 50 cops in the cop shop even though he knows many of them are corrupt or scared to go up against Gotham's crime families. Then he confidently tells his boss to leave because he can handle the goons. His master plan to handle them? Simply shoot them, and then he fails to do that because he's a lousy shot. He ends up getting shot twice, and he would have been caught while he was hiding behind a car in the parking garage if it weren't for those other cops showing up. Fish and Penguin are the only parts of this show that I consistently enjoy.
Old 11-04-14, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Really disappointed with this episode. First Gordon stupidly assumes he's safe from the 3 goons sent to take him because he's surrounded by 50 cops in the cop shop even though he knows many of them are corrupt or scared to go up against Gotham's crime families. Then he confidently tells his boss to leave because he can handle the goons. His master plan to handle them? Simply shoot them, and then he fails to do that because he's a lousy shot. He ends up getting shot twice, and he would have been caught while he was hiding behind a car in the parking garage if it weren't for those other cops showing up. Fish and Penguin are the only parts of this show that I consistently enjoy.
You are looking at this show with way too critical and realistic eyes. It's still a comic book show, you need to be able to suspend disbelief and just roll with it sometimes.

I really liked this episode. Even though Penguin doesn't look at all what he should, I really like the casting of him. This episode kind of solidified the fact that I'd probably watch Ben McKenzie in anything.
Old 11-04-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So................how is Penguin playing Falcone? Should be interesting to see that play out.

Did I miss the significance of the chickens?
Old 11-04-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought it was a great episode! That was an awesome twist that showed how devious the Penguin really is. I haven't been too thrilled with how they were handling his character but man was I wrong! I also thought Gordon's character was handled very well this episode and for the first time I thought "THAT'S James Gordon!"
Old 11-04-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I think it's possible you're misreading that scene. Gordon didn't "stupidly assume" anything about the 50 cops in the room protecting him. He knows the corruption that exists. He makes the statement he makes to get a clear assessment of the state of the department and also to hedge his bets while controlling the situation. If some cops happen to stay and defend him, he has a slightly better chance of survival. If no one stays (which is what he really expected), the room is cleared and none of the other police are in harms way for the shootout that Gordon is going to attempt in order to try to survive. He had already decided to stay in Gotham and put up a fight, so he was either going to go down fighting on his own (the most likely scenario in his mind - he'd already said as much to his boss) or get lucky and survive. I personally don't find any of that disappointing or out-of-step with the character.
Old 11-04-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom

"How'd you come up with that plan? Sat down with a chimpanzee and a bucket of coke?"

Loved this episode and how The Penguin's playing everyone. But one complaint: I know Gotham PD has an uneasy truce with the gangs, but no way would they let them just walk into the police station and kill one of their own.

Great twist at the end.
Old 11-04-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom

That was a bit far. If the cops got really sick of all of this they could just take out a lot of the head criminals.

This town needs a Batman like Arrow was in the first season.

Basically came here to say that.

It was a good episode and she had good intentions, just really stupid ones as well.
Old 11-04-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So everyone there is corrupt, they don't have any interest in stopping Bullock from putting a bullet into a fellow cop right in the locker room? They're so terrified of Falcone that they'll let one of his hit men commit murder when they outnumber him 10 to 1?

Can you really survive a shot to the gut? Everyone on TV gets grazed with a bullet and keeps on ticking. Nice to see someone on television actually run out of bullets for once. A guy who just took two fresh bullets would be in the hospital for weeks, I would think. So the cop who came into the garage and is now missing both kneecaps is just going to be a forgotten plot device? She dies, very sad, but we don't know who she is?

The psychological chew game Penguin plays is really interesting.

Bullock's decision to "join the good guys" is a little arbitrary, though I suppose new right that he's dead anyway.

Jim must've known that they'd get to Barbara somehow, I saw it coming a mile away.

Nice twist, and good explanation for why Falcone was so mysteriously lackadaisical about things. We knew he knew something we didn't; and when they turn the cards over, it actually makes sense. Even Gordon got played.

Why did Penguin want Gordon alive? It made no sense for Falcone to let him go before we knew that, but even afterwards, Penguin must has some sort of ingenious further plan for him. And eventually, a man who plays both sides of the fence gets tangled in it.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-04-14 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
So everyone there is corrupt, they don't have any interest in stopping Bullock from putting a bullet into a fellow cop right in the locker room?
Forgot about that moment. Yeah, that's hard to believe.
Old 11-04-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn
You are looking at this show with way too critical and realistic eyes. It's still a comic book show, you need to be able to suspend disbelief and just roll with it sometimes.
I'll admit I was hoping this show would have a similar tone to The Dark Knight Trilogy (serious and realistic), but it's more like Tim Burton's Batman movies. I'm not ready to give up on the show, but I'll have to change my expectations for it.
Old 11-04-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
So everyone there is corrupt,
Or cowards or protecting loved ones.
Old 11-04-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I loved the visual nod to Batman: Year One. The scratches Fish left on Penguin's face are similar to the scratches Catwoman left on Carmine "The Roman" Falcone's face during their first encounter in Batman: Year One.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-04-14 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Great ep. overall. Penguin is really starting to show signs of being both the criminal mastermind and cold blooded killer from the comics. Kudos to the actor for making you kind of want him to make it one moment but then reminding you of what a scumbag he is the next.
Old 11-05-14, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Overall I liked the episode, but I still had some issues. I really like the world they are building so I thought all the mob related scenes were good, the goons at Barbara's place, all the Penguin scenes, etc. I'm kind of meh on Zsasz's introduction since he bares little resemblance to the established character.

Two things I didn't like: The first was Gordon's "plan", which was obviously never going to work, particularly after he witnessed the entire police station clear out on a Falcone goon's command. For me it crossed the line from standing up for what's right to just being a dumb move.

The second thing was the visit to Bruce. It was out of place and threw off the pacing of the episode. They don't need to shoehorn the kid into every episode.
Old 11-05-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

They should actually rename this series "The Penguin: Year One." I thought this was a great episode, even if you have to seriously suspend disbelief with some of the police corruption angles.

I didn't like the visit to Bruce either, I hope they figure out a better way to involve him than having Gordon run to his house for five minutes, every episode. I wonder if Barbara survives this season? I think the audience loves her, it would be a great storytelling move to have her killed off.

I think they would be in a much better spot for the long haul if Bruce and Selina were older teens. Given the ratings, this will stay on the air for the next five years. I guess a new supervillain will have to emerge each season. I was stoked to see Victor Zsasz, he's a great villain.
Old 11-05-14, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They should actually rename this series "The Penguin: Year One." I thought this was a great episode, even if you have to seriously suspend disbelief with some of the police corruption angles.

I didn't like the visit to Bruce either, I hope they figure out a better way to involve him than having Gordon run to his house for five minutes, every episode. I wonder if Barbara survives this season? I think the audience loves her, it would be a great storytelling move to have her killed off.

I think they would be in a much better spot for the long haul if Bruce and Selina were older teens. Given the ratings, this will stay on the air for the next five years. I guess a new supervillain will have to emerge each season. I was stoked to see Victor Zsasz, he's a great villain.
Regarding the visit to Wayne Manor, he wanted to tell Bruce he might not be able to keep his promise...in context, it makes some sense; however, they never really showed his struggle with that as a priority. If they had, the scene would have worked seamlessly...Good writers are hard to come by...
Old 11-05-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Well, it was a way to introduce him to Montoya and Allen. I was kinda hoping Montoya would have rubbed it in and said, "so you know, Jim, Barb likes her pussy eaten a certain way."
Old 11-05-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that was gonna be said on FOX. Step your game up devilshalo.
Old 11-06-14, 07:07 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I was starting to get a little, um, bored with Gotham (last week just did NOT grab me like it did others) , but man, did I love this episode. The nun roadblock was fun, and Zsasz was very entertaining. And the twist with Penguin (my favorite character) was unexpected. This show has really found it's footing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.