Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E06) -- "Make Some Magic Happen" -- 10/29/14

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E06) -- "Make Some Magic Happen" -- 10/29/14

IN A RARE MOVE, A VERY HUNGRY HUNAHPU TRIBE MAKES A DESPERATE TRADE FOR RICE, ON "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, OCT. 29

"Make Some Magic Happen" - In a rare move, a very hungry Hunahpu tribe makes a desperate trade for rice. Meanwhile, one castaway on the Coyopa tribe concocts a plan to use a fake idol to try and insure their safety, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Oct. 29 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CASTAWAYS:

COYOPA TRIBE HUNAHPU TRIBE

Jon Misch Natalie Anderson

Keith Nale Josh Canfield

Missy Payne Alec Christy

Jaclyn Schultz Jeremy Collins

Dale Wentworth Reed Kelly

Baylor Wilson Julie McGee

Wes Nale

ELIMINATED

Nadiya Anderson (Eliminated 9/24)
Val Collins (Eliminated 10/1)
John Rocker (Eliminated 10/8)
Drew Christy (Eliminated 10/15)
Kelley Wentworth (Eliminated 10/22)
SURVIVOR is hosted by Emmy Award-winning host Jeff Probst and produced by SEG, Inc. Mark Burnett and Jeff Probst are executive producers.

Read more: Listings - SURVIVOR on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3HaO22CZY

Old 10-29-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E06) -- "Make Some Magic Happen" -- 10/29/14

Damn - I wanted to see him survive and hand off the fake idol to see how that would have played out.

They were stupid to bargain for that rice. Should have at least held out until the next reward, see if you win, and then bargain if need be. And I still don't think they'd let them starve.
Old 10-29-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a horseshit deal and "stiff" penalty. So no EXTRA flint, no EXTRA pot, no hammock (how will they survive?), no tarp, no pillows/blankets (!) and no hammer? The tarp is somewhat impactful... but it's not like the other tribe has one anyway. Just too much interference - there was not a single player in distress; if there was you know the producers would be weaving that into the drama.

And now they probably have more rice than the other tribe. Jeff really drives a "hard" bargain.

If I'm that tribe I'm just pounding that rice right up to the merge. Why the hell would you stupidly ration it any further than that? They feast at the merge and they will either get new rice post merge, rely on the other tribe's portion, or barter again.
Old 10-29-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

The ideology was that since eating well helped them win challenges, take all of their prizes away. It wasn't about making life extra hard, just about giving them the life they would've had if they hadn't won.
Old 10-30-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was expecting Jeff to take all he did plus give the other team an advantage in the immunity challenge. I was disappointed.
Old 10-30-14, 08:44 AM

You want rice? Someone has to exit the game and it's a group decision. THAT's a penalty.
Old 10-30-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts

Dale seemed to do all he could to stick around. And it would have been great to hand John the fake idol and see it played at some point.
Old 10-30-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

IMO this is the worst season I can recall. I'll watch next week to see if the merge helps, but I may give it up.
Old 10-30-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
I was expecting Jeff to take all he did plus give the other team an advantage in the immunity challenge. I was disappointed.
I don't think the tribe was given the option anyway...what if they had said "no"? We all know the producers aren't going to let them starve.
Old 10-30-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
IMO this is the worst season I can recall. I'll watch next week to see if the merge helps, but I may give it up.
I don't think it's the worst ever...there was one two or three years ago when the entire cast was made up of complete idiots - I can't even remember the members/location now, but there was a lot of complains about how stupid everyone was. I think it was the year when one of the female tribe members said she wished there were "cookies" at camp.
Old 10-30-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't think the tribe was given the option anyway...what if they had said "no"? We all know the producers aren't going to let them starve.
I thought it was interesting that they didn't even appear to discuss it, unless that was edited out. Jeremy got the "angry black man" edit in this episode.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't think it's the worst ever...there was one two or three years ago when the entire cast was made up of complete idiots - I can't even remember the members/location now, but there was a lot of complains about how stupid everyone was. I think it was the year when one of the female tribe members said she wished there were "cookies" at camp.
Thailand was probably the closest I've come to quitting this show.
Old 10-31-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one isn't the worst, but it's certainly not winning any favors with me in how dull and predictable things have been lately. There's very little shake up for as much as the producers attempt to toss in.

And the lack of moves being played just makes this sort of chugging along at whatever pace.
Old 10-31-14, 07:29 AM

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I think the last 3 episodes have been pretty good. This is probably the the most wide open season going into a merge in a while since there is only 2 invisible players and no one is really being shoved down our throats as a main protaganist. It seems like a lot of people are in game mode or at least to Productions credit they are showing more players thought process.
Old 10-31-14, 09:43 AM

Received 152 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
This is probably the the most wide open season going into a merge in a while since there is only 2 invisible players and no one is really being shoved down our throats as a main protaganist.
Well they voted out the people with the strongest personalities who would be the tradition bad guys. Most of the people were pretty unoffensive to begin with (even likeable.) Everyone left is pretty much middle of the road.
Old 11-01-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't mind the penalty for the rice. They needed to make it something the group would agree to. Though a better addition to the penalty would have been for the other tribe to get an advantage in the next reward challenge.

I like the people on the blue team. I can do without Julie, Natalie and the dummy stoner dude. I'd be fine with Wes, Jeremy, Reed or Josh winning.

I don't really like anyone on the other tribe. Keith I like and the rest of them are annoying. I can't stand Baylor and Missy. John and his girlfriend seem like a stereotypical hot couple. He's a complete dummy and she has no personality.
Old 11-01-14, 11:07 PM

I didn't like the penalty for the rice. It should have been a major advantage for the other tribe in a future challenge or someone getting voted off.

If I were on a future season, I'd see no reason not to eat more rice early, win challenges as a result, then worry about getting more later.
Old 11-02-14, 03:03 AM

Received 152 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyes8604
I didn't like the penalty for the rice. It should have been a major advantage for the other tribe in a future challenge or someone getting voted off.

If I were on a future season, I'd see no reason not to eat more rice early, win challenges as a result, then worry about getting more later.
At least Jeff should have giving the other team the stuff or an extra bag of rice too.
Old 11-02-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I was disappointed in the penalty also. I thought they should have made them lose a tribe member in exchange for the rice.

As for how boring it is, I'm hoping this isn't a foreshadowing of future seasons. All I can think of is how well Derrick on Big Brother orchestrated the whole season and defused anything that came up that put a hamper in his plans.

If the dominant tribe can manage to stick together until they have to turn on each other and take everyone else out first, it makes for very boring and predictable tv. Usually, on Survivor, the winning tribe consists of the a**holes that no one is rooting for and you see your favs picked off one by one.