Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Cancelled games you wanted to play

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cancelled games you wanted to play

So what were the cancelled games that you were really looking forward to playing, before the plug was pulled? Here are some of the ones I can think of.

Steven Segal is: The Final Option: I'm sure this game would have sucked, but back then the idea of playing as Steven Segal in a game was pretty interesting.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oQnbGeXlkiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Shadow SNES: I'm a big Shadow fan(the character not necessarily the movie) so I was looking forward to playing this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6qO27ps-gr8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Flash PS2 and XBox: The art released for the game was great and it looked really fun. Unfortunately is was killed by Brash going out of business and surprisingly no one picked it up.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HrtwUQXuSXY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Resident Evil 1.5: Don't get me wrong, Resident Evil 2 is one of my all time favorite games. But playing the original version would have been interesting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1qAlyZXJm8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Daredevil: Probably would have sucked, but I'm a big Daredevil fan and would have liked to see ol horn head get a game.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qSNgXKCwLwo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-16-14, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Cancelled games you wanted to play

Not exactly canceled, but I want to play a good English version of Mother 3(Earthbound 2)
Old 10-16-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starcraft Ghost

Old 10-16-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

For some reason I got really excited to play a 4-player PS1 fighting game called Thrill Kill. I think it was once featured on the cover of Official PlayStation Magazine. It was supposed to be revolutionary in one fashion or another. It got cancelled after coming along pretty far - far enough to generate lots of controversy.

Old 10-16-14, 07:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

QQP was working on a PC version of Awful Green Things From Outer Space when they were bought out and liquidated back in 1995. A little part of my soul died.
Old 10-16-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Warcraft Adventures

Edit: the original Fallout 3 that was being developed by Black Isle. Also by Black Isle, project Jefferson, which would have been Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound.

Last edited by shizawn; 10-16-14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-16-14, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Star Wars: 1313 sounded kind of interesting. I was sort of bummed when it got cancelled after Disney bought out Lucas Films and shut down Lucas Arts.
Old 10-16-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Old 10-16-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

#Driveclub

Old 10-16-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Serious answer:

Old 10-16-14, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thrill Kill is awesome, it's actually kind of released...if you have a modded PSX.

I played Starcraft Ghost 3 times, and all 3 times it was a completely different...and shitty game. You aren't missing much there.
Old 10-16-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Thrill Kill was the most obtainable "never released game" ever semi-released.
Old 10-16-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Little information was released about it, but I was very interested in the Aliens RPG that Obsidian was working on.
Old 10-16-14, 10:56 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the second and third part of Shining Force 3 never came out in America, and I loved the first part...
Old 10-16-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shizawn
Little information was released about it, but I was very interested in the Aliens RPG that Obsidian was working on.
I remember that! Above all else though ... be it Bioware or Obsidian .... KOTOR 3.

According to designer John Stafford, "we got quite a bit of traction... we wrote a story, designed most of the environments/worlds, and many of the quests, characters, and items."
Old 10-16-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually just thought about this game too and found this on youtube.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BdVedBa0-mk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I guess Sega had to chose between either cancelling this or Colonial Marines. After how Colonial Marines turned out, makes you wonder if that was the better decision.
Old 10-17-14, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very cool! I had no idea there was any gameplay footage available.

Last edited by shizawn; 10-17-14 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-17-14, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Fucking Picassio. An art theft game I read about in Next Gen way back, seemed like a very cool concept.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IUAJbnMrsnE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The remainder of the Shenmue series. It ended on a cliffhanger. Twelve years ago. Nothing else compares to the kind of situation of playing two highly immersive games which just stops. Not to mention that the U.S. Dreamcast release of Shenmue II was canceled in favor of an Xbox exclusive. After spending a lot of time acquiring items and improving your fighting moves, that data was supposed to directly carry over into Shenmue II, which would have continued to make it a more personal, immersive experience.

I later got an Xbox primarily because of Shenmue II and Jet Set Radio Future, and the other potential Sega games to come. The way the series was treated, it deserved way better.

Also, I was quite pissed that the N64 DD was not released in the US. I was looking forward to Doshin (which eventually got a Gamecube release in the U.K.) and Mario Artist especially. Release that shit for the Wii or something, come on.

I also definitely would have purchased Kirby's Air Ride for the 64. I also wonder how bad 12 Tales: Conker 64 must have been during development for them to do a complete 180 into Bad Fur Day.. Edit: My wish has been granted. Looks and sounds like a Banjo-Kazooie rehash.

Plus that Donkey Kong Racing game for the Cube. And more generally, what would have come from Rare had they stuck with Nintendo. They were never the same after Microsoft:

Plus there's Super Mario 128, but looking it up, apparently it was just a tech demo and elements were used in other games. I'm sure there's a ton more but those are the main ones that I would have loved to play.

Last edited by bluetoast; 10-17-14 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-17-14, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EarthBound 64
Super Mario 64 2 (shifted their focus on the GameCube when this was in active development and used some of it in Super Mario Sunshine -- the original concept I believe had some elements ported over to Super Mario 64 DS)

I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting. I haven't had much time dedicated to gaming in the last 12 or so years as I did back in the 90s. I've been casual at best for awhile.

Edit: bluetoast reminded me of two more. I loved Banjo-Kazooie so I couldn't wait for 12 Tales: Conker 64. I liked Conker's Bad Fur Day but it was pretty fucked up. Kirby's Air Ride was another I was looking forward to as well.

I didn't even know a Donkey Kong Racing game was planned. It looked fun.

Rare is just a shell of what it once was. Most of the staff during its heyday are long gone, anyway. Have they put out any Xbox One games?

Last edited by My Other Self; 10-17-14 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-17-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shizawn
Warcraft Adventures

Edit: the original Fallout 3 that was being developed by Black Isle. Also by Black Isle, project Jefferson, which would have been Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound.
Fallout 3 The one we got was ok, but never really felt true to Fallout.
Old 10-17-14, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BecTslmmB0g?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-17-14, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
For some reason I got really excited to play a 4-player PS1 fighting game called Thrill Kill. I think it was once featured on the cover of Official PlayStation Magazine. It was supposed to be revolutionary in one fashion or another. It got cancelled after coming along pretty far - far enough to generate lots of controversy.

When i lived in England i had a lot of friends who worked in the games industry, and one of them actually gave me a copy of this game to play test for them whilst it was in development. It was ok, but believe me it was not gonna be a great game without a lot of polishing. Interesting concept, but was pretty run of the mill.
Old 10-17-14, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Games you were sorry to see get canceled.
Old 10-17-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Thrill kill was fun. It was eventually "released" as a wu-tang game. Got re-worked when the studio was bought out due to the violence.
Old 10-17-14, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there was a Jurassic Park, tomb raider type 3rd person game in development years ago that sounded cool...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.