Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fourth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
The Fourth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2014

This is a work in progress, so please be patient.

presents

The Fourth Annual November Comedy Challenge

If I get the time, a picture or something semi-creative may go here.

2011's discussion thread
2011's list thread

2012's discussion thread
2012's list thread

2013's discussion thread
2013's list thread

| Challenge starts at dusk October 31st and ends November 30th |

Rules

This Challenge overlaps with two well-established Challenges - October's Horror Challenge and the November-December Holiday Challenge. During the overlapping days, you can receive "double credit" by listing any qualifying items watched for those other two Challenges on your Comedy Challenge list.

It should be self-evident what titles qualify, but if you have questions about something you've never seen, check out its genre classification on IMDB or Allmovie or ask in the discussion thread.

Post your list in the list thread. Be as creative or as basic with your list as you want.

You may number (or not number) the items on your list any way you like. However, the preferred method is, as with the Holiday Challenge, any title watched, no matter how long or how short, counts as one list item. This should make it easier to record qualifying items on both lists if you participate in both Challenges.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Free stuff!

Once again, the great folks at Hamilton Books have provided us with some cool prizes. Thanks, GoldenWheels!

I Stooged To Conquer: The Autobiography of the Leader of The Three Stooges by Moe Howard (Paperbound - 241 pages - Chicago Review)

Saturday Night Live: The Best of Steve Martin (DVD - Trimark) & George Carlin: Personal Favorites (DVD - MPI)

Buster Keaton Collection: The Great Stone Face (2 DVDs - Sony Pictures)

Safety Last! (2 DVDs - Criterion Collection)

HOW TO WIN
Winners will be chosen at random (using Random.org) from a list of active participants (two winners will be chosen from all active participants, and two from all active participants who haven't won during a previous Comedy Challenge).

You must be a U.S. resident to receive a prize.

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-30-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-14-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Fourth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2014

Something will go here. Probably checklist and theme nights stuff.
Old 10-14-14, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Fourth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2014

I'm open to suggestions. So fire away.

Let me know if you even want to have theme nights and a checklist. What you'd like on the checklist & theme nights list. Whatever else you think should be changed.
Old 10-14-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I can't wait. Planning to buy more Three Stooges sets just for this Challenge.
Old 10-14-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I can't wait. Planning to buy more Three Stooges sets just for this Challenge.
I don't know how many sets you need to complete your collection but if it's 3 or more I *highly* recommend "Three Stooges: The Ultimate Collection" because it has everything but the 60s movies. It also includes a *pressed* copy of "The Three Stooges - Rare Treasures from the Columbia Vault" which is sold individually (sometimes as a MOD and typically for almost half or more of the full set). The current price or $45 is not bad but Amazon or Best Buy seems to put this on sale for $30 or less fairly regularly.
Old 10-14-14, 08:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'll need some laughs after subjecting myself to 10+ hours of horror every day for 31 days.
Old 10-14-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll need some laughs after subjecting myself to 10+ hours of horror every day for 31 days.
I don't know how you can fit in that much movie watching in a day. Day after day. I just watched Devil Story, and I want to take a nap.
Old 10-15-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

10 hours...? Crikey...

Hooray for Comedy! I liked the theme nights and checklist, even if I've drifted more towards using them to make initial selections and for ideas than to studiously complete. I blame Time for passing too quickly...

I can't immediately think of anything that needs changing, either. Seemed smooth last year.
Old 10-16-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
Hooray for Comedy! I liked the theme nights and checklist, even if I've drifted more towards using them to make initial selections and for ideas than to studiously complete. I blame Time for passing too quickly...

I can't immediately think of anything that needs changing, either. Seemed smooth last year.
Good. I won't have to do anything but update the specific dates on the theme nights list then.
Originally Posted by ntnon
How about a "never won a prize before, despite Challeng-ing for several years"...?
This post in the current OHMC discussion thread got me thinking, and I decided that for this year's giveaway, instead of four prizewinners picked from all active participants, I think I'll do two from all active participants, and two from all active participants who haven't won during a previous Comedy Challenge. That should weigh it a little toward people who haven't won anything in the past, but not cut anyone out completely. Sounds fair to me.

So let me know if you think this is a good idea. A stupid idea. Or if you have a better idea.
Old 10-17-14, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Good. I won't have to do anything but update the specific dates on the theme nights list then.

This post in the current OHMC discussion thread got me thinking, and I decided that for this year's giveaway, instead of four prizewinners picked from all active participants, I think I'll do two from all active participants, and two from all active participants who haven't won during a previous Comedy Challenge. That should weigh it a little toward people who haven't won anything in the past, but not cut anyone out completely. Sounds fair to me.

So let me know if you think this is a good idea. A stupid idea. Or if you have a better idea.
That sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-17-14, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't know how you can fit in that much movie watching in a day. Day after day. I just watched Devil Story, and I want to take a nap.
I've been battling to get in more than 2 movies a night since the start of the horror challenge. There has been a lot of backtracking and rewatching stuff. I don't expect this challenge to be much different. I just don't have that ability anymore, it seems.
Old 10-17-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I had time to watch two movies a night.
Old 10-17-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I think this is a good idea. Make it a little easier for a nonwinner to turn into a winner. I'd revisit it eventually, just because it seems like the same group of people participate.
Old 10-17-14, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
I wish I had time to watch two movies a night.
It's all a matter of priorities. Other entertainment and non-priorities? Skip it until after the Challenge. Things you absolutely have to do today? Skip it until after the Challenge.
Old 10-17-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
That sounds like a good idea.
Originally Posted by LJG765
I think this is a good idea. Make it a little easier for a nonwinner to turn into a winner. I'd revisit it eventually, just because it seems like the same group of people participate.
Well, that's three of us that think it's a good idea. I'll do it for this one's giveaway then (and probably for the May MYOC too, if everything works out okay).
Old 10-22-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Well, that's three of us that think it's a good idea. I'll do it for this one's giveaway then (and probably for the May MYOC too, if everything works out okay).
Make it four. I like that idea as well.

I keep pulling Horror/Comedy titles out of my unopened piles - and I put them back to use for the small dual-credit window. With Halloween on a Friday this year I really expect to get a few more of them in but...
Old 10-30-14, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The list thread.

Theme Nights & Checklist - A few changes were made to this year's theme nights list. The checklist is unchanged from last year. If you see something that you think should be changed, let me know.

The prize selection will be announced soon.
Old 10-30-14, 11:44 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Signed up. Don't know how much i'll be able to do. Probably won't have the same numbers as the horror challenge. But sounds like fun.
Old 10-30-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And here are the 4 prizes for this Challenge:

I Stooged To Conquer: The Autobiography of the Leader of The Three Stooges by Moe Howard (Paperbound - 241 pages - Chicago Review)

Saturday Night Live: The Best of Steve Martin (DVD - Trimark) & George Carlin: Personal Favorites (DVD - MPI)

Thanks again, GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books!
Old 10-30-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
Signed up. Don't know how much i'll be able to do. Probably won't have the same numbers as the horror challenge. But sounds like fun.
Welcome aboard.

With "easy counting," it's pretty easy to get high numbers. You don't have to push yourself. Relax, and whenever you get the time, watch something funny, then type it on your list.
Old 10-30-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JOE29
Welcome aboard. Second what DX said, just watch something funny, even a short, and add it to your list.

And here are the 4 prizes for this Challenge:

Thanks again, GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books!
Great looking prizes. Big thanks to GoldenWheels and Hamiltonbooks.
Old 10-31-14, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what is funny (comedy) ha ha. Dvdtalk challengers probably watch more movies than professional movie critics. I bet Ebert never watched 100 comedy movies in November. Anyways..ready for November laughs.
Old 10-31-14, 09:09 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome aboard.

With "easy counting," it's pretty easy to get high numbers. You don't have to push yourself. Relax, and whenever you get the time, watch something funny, then type it on your list.
Wonderful. I have a lot to choose from ( DVD's ) It's something my wife can enjoy too. So it should be more fun. She was kind of reluctant to watch a lot of those horror titles, only a selected few.
Old 10-31-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really need this challenge. I'm so close to 100 on the Horror challenge, but I'm struggling to get myself to even make it. I just need pure belly laughs.
Old 10-31-14, 02:40 PM

Already have my viewing plans set until at least midnight tonight with pure horror, but hope to squeeze in some horror comedies before dawn. Anyone have any newish horror comedy recommendations?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.