Doctor Who (BBCA) -- Series 8 Thread -- premieres 8/23/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-23-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Capaldi arrives!

When the Doctor arrives in Victorian London he finds a dinosaur rampant in the Thames and a spate of deadly spontaneous combustions. Who is the new Doctor and will Clara’s friendship survive as they embark on a terrifying mission into the heart of an alien conspiracy? The Doctor has changed. It’s time you knew him.

Episode 1 of 12

The episode airs in Britain at 7:50pm. BBC America airs the episode at 8:00pm (EST). There will be a 15 minute live Pre-Show before the premiere followed by a one-hour After Show. Some theaters are doing a midnight screening of the episode tonight as well.

A Blu-Ray/DVD of the premiere episode will be released on September 9th.

<iframe width="400" height="500" frameborder="0" src="http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/embed/smpEmbed.html?playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fiplayer%2Fplaylist%2Fp0253ys6&title=Doctor%20Who%3A%20Series%208%3A%20BBC%20One%20-%20Doctor%20Who%20-%20Series%208%20Begins%20Today!&product=iplayer"></iframe>

Last edited by The Valeyard; 09-06-14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-23-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's playing in theaters here on Monday. Not sure if I'm gonna wait to watch it on the big screen or make that my second (or third) viewing..
Old 08-24-14, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 972 Likes on 605 Posts
re: Doctor Who (BBCA) -- Series 8 Thread -- premieres 8/23/14

A pretty solid first episode for Capaldi. Not really great, but a decent introduction. I like how they had Clara having trouble dealing with the change, and how she came to accept it in the end. I wasn't expecting an appearance by Smith. It was a nice way to pass the baton.

I'm not sure what that scene at the end with the robot and the woman in "paradise" was all about--setting something up for future episodes, I suppose.

Strax once again steals the show. BTW, the actor who plays him was on the after-show with Chris Hardwick.
Old 08-24-14, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Enjoyed it. Liking Capaldi so far.
Old 08-24-14, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does there have to be an after show for everything nerdy? ugh.
Old 08-24-14, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Apparently. The difference is that we simply snipe on message boards and they actually get paid .
Old 08-24-14, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I didn't get a chance to watch this last night, so I thought I'd catch up with it afterwards on iTunes. "Deep Breath" is up there now, but it's $7.99. Not a typo. Every other ep I see is $2.99. Same deal on Amazon. What the actual fuck?
Old 08-24-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My guess is that they have jacked the price short term due to the theatrical contracts in place. I wouldn't be too shocked to see it down to normal episode price by say Wednesday after all the cinema stuff is done.
Old 08-24-14, 09:17 AM

I enjoyed the episode. I'm liking Capaldi's take so far as he seems to be a Doctor that will do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Loved the Matt Smith cameo and the speech by Capaldi to Clara afterwards. It really felt like it was actually to all of the newer fans that weren't happy it was an older Doctor and not some heartthrob.

What's everyone's take on the robot's death? Did the Doctor kill him or did he jump himself?
Old 08-24-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree an okay episode, although definitely not great. I think I enjoyed the dinosaur translation and beginning parts on the Thames the best.

Clara knowing the Doctor wouldn't truly leave her (I thought he did!), and the skin mask were nice touches.

One of the highlights was the tie in with The Girl in the Fireplace.

Maybe Smith was lucky, but Eleventh Hour was a very strong first episode. This didn't do the same for me. Probably closer to Christmas Invasion, although I preferred that more.

Edit: Apparently the garden at the end was one Amy visited before as well. Hummm. Pictures - http://filmschoolrejects.com/feature...eep-breath.php

Last edited by Superman07; 08-24-14 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-24-14, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

It's not grabbing me. I've started and stopped a couple of times but I'm only 30 minutes in. I liked Matt's first episode much better. It was a much quieter introduction and getting to know the companion before things took off.
Old 08-24-14, 10:14 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Pretty meh episode, Felt like a Season 8 one without Smith (since a lot of Season 8 just wasn't very strong IMO).

I don't really care for Capaldi all that much, neither does my wife. I really don't like Clara as much (liked her much better in her inter episode before she was a companion) either - she just kind of wanders around. I didn't see her really do anything this episode. I think I'd rather have of the Gang be his companion at this point.

Hardly worth giving the show up, so we'll watch it through. Maybe he'll grow on us. This episode just seems pretty long and boring. I get they want to introduce us to the new Doctor...but gees. This was drawn out.
Old 08-24-14, 10:47 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I like Capaldi's take on the Doctor, but I didn't really care for this episode's plot. Oh well -- episodes establishing new Doctors/companions are usually at least a little clunky.
Old 08-24-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Pretty meh episode, Felt like a Season 8 one without Smith (since a lot of Season 8 just wasn't very strong IMO).
Are you a Time Lord too? This is the season 8 premiere.

(I do get what you mean, of course, and I agree about much of season 7 being kind of forgettable.)
Old 08-24-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Really boring intro episode. Previews for next weeks episode gives hope that the pace will pick back up. Wouldn't mind if they would take a page from the old show and go back to standalone episodes that don't tie in to an overall season storyarc. Also, would like to see them close the book on the last 5 years and give him a fresh start next season.
Old 08-24-14, 02:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just talking about NuWho, I'd rank Doctor debut episodes this way:

The Eleventh Hour
Rose
Deep Breath
The Christmas Invasion

The great:
Capaldi already rocks. "Attack eyebrows" and all that. I can't wait to see him make the role his.
Smith's cameo. Lovely tie in to Smith's last episode and a nice appeal to the fans who've been crying foul over Capaldi's casting.
The new opening credits. Holy shit, those eyes!

The good:
The gang. Some of their stuff is a miss, but most of it is a hit.
Clara is the most human of the NuWho companions to date (despite her Impossible Girl status).

The meh:
The plot. Almost complete filler, dragged on, but at least the Doctor was fucking awake for it (looking at your Christmas Invasion).

Other thoughts:
I sincerely hope the lady claiming The Doctor is her boyfriend is delusional. I don't want another River Song, especially since this Doctor is meant to be getting away from all the flirting that Smith did.

I think The Doctor pushed the android.

I take it that's the garden from The Girl Who Waited?

Is his reference to "repair robots who cannibalize humans" meant to refer back to The Lonely Child?

Overall I'm excited for Capaldi but I think Moffat's looking weaker and weaker as time goes on.
Old 08-24-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I had to stop and start this episode at least 5 times because it was so meh. I don't know if it was also due to the whole Victorian era, which I just find that setting in Who to be the most fucking boring, but they keep going back to that because of the Lesbian gang being there.

I'm still not sure about Capaldi's Doctor. Then again, it feels like they were still just dipping their feet into who he was. I'm not sure if Matt Smith's doctor was the same in his first introduction as well in the way of just warming up the post actor's fans. Guess we'll see.

Also not enjoying the rumors of change coming up at Christmas. so I already feel like I shouldn't bother being invested if it's all going to change so soon again.
Old 08-24-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Just talking about NuWho, I'd rank Doctor debut episodes this way:

The Eleventh Hour
Rose
Deep Breath
The Christmas Invasion

The great:
Capaldi already rocks. "Attack eyebrows" and all that. I can't wait to see him make the role his.
Smith's cameo. Lovely tie in to Smith's last episode and a nice appeal to the fans who've been crying foul over Capaldi's casting.
The new opening credits. Holy shit, those eyes!

The good:
The gang. Some of their stuff is a miss, but most of it is a hit.
Clara is the most human of the NuWho companions to date (despite her Impossible Girl status).

The meh:
The plot. Almost complete filler, dragged on, but at least the Doctor was fucking awake for it (looking at your Christmas Invasion).

Other thoughts:
I sincerely hope the lady claiming The Doctor is her boyfriend is delusional. I don't want another River Song, especially since this Doctor is meant to be getting away from all the flirting that Smith did.

I think The Doctor pushed the android.

I take it that's the garden from The Girl Who Waited?

Is his reference to "repair robots who cannibalize humans" meant to refer back to The Lonely Child?

Overall I'm excited for Capaldi but I think Moffat's looking weaker and weaker as time goes on.
I thought it was strictly a reference to "The Girl in the Fireplace" with the clockwork droids of the SS Madame de Pompadour cannibalizing the crew to repair the ship before going after Madame de Pompadour's brain.
Old 08-24-14, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh duh! I'm not a fan of Girl in the Fireplace so no surprise I've forgotten it.
Old 08-24-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Apparently. The difference is that we simply snipe on message boards and they actually get paid .
What they amount to is just native advertising. I know Chris Hardwick is making a living through this fad, but it's not like they get into the real heart of conversation and are never critical - since hey, why mock your own bread and butter?

It's nothing more than fluff material. The Talking Dead was awful with that and I still don't get the point of after shows for stuff like Breaking Bad.
Old 08-24-14, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Wouldn't mind if they would take a page from the old show and go back to standalone episodes that don't tie in to an overall season storyarc.
God no! I hate monster of the week! Eccleston had a lot of that. It's all about the arc.

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Also not enjoying the rumors of change coming up at Christmas. so I already feel like I shouldn't bother being invested if it's all going to change so soon again.
I'm gonna go scrounge Reddit now but what have you heard?

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
It's nothing more than fluff material. The Talking Dead was awful with that and I still don't get the point of after shows for stuff like Breaking Bad.
Really? You don't see the parallel between those shows and what we do here?
Old 08-24-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I didn't care for the storyline of the episode, but I did like Capaldi...for the most part. He's really good when doing serious stuff or being witty; however, the slapstick stuff (like when he goes out the window and finds a horse to ride) was really unfunny. I hope we don't see a lot of that kind of stuff from the new Doctor.

I could sense a little of Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee in his portrayal.

We did NOT need the Matt Smith cameo. This episode should have been Capaldi's alone.
Old 08-24-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I didn't get a chance to watch this last night, so I thought I'd catch up with it afterwards on iTunes. "Deep Breath" is up there now, but it's $7.99. Not a typo. Every other ep I see is $2.99. Same deal on Amazon. What the actual fuck?
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
My guess is that they have jacked the price short term due to the theatrical contracts in place. I wouldn't be too shocked to see it down to normal episode price by say Wednesday after all the cinema stuff is done.
Its $8 because its an "extended special episode," the same overblown pricing is still happening with The Day of The Doctor. Cheapest I can find this episode is $6 on PSN, at least it was last week. Of course, if you want the special 3D version, that's only on Blu-ray and is over $20.

I hope this pricing crap doesn't happen with Sherlock's 2015 Christmas special.
Old 08-24-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Strafe
Really? You don't see the parallel between those shows and what we do here?

Oh, there's a difference. We don't cash in the company paychecks, so if an episode is utter dog shit, then we call it out as such. There's discussion and disagreement.

All that Chris and his guest (some even more perplexing as to why they're even there) seem to do is circle jerk over it no matter how bad it may be.

The show is filmed earlier and very little actual viewer reaction ever makes it on other than some filtered tweet or question for the potential cast member - which they can't say anything about the upcoming events on the show anyway.
Old 08-24-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i feel a little uncomfortable with the new doctor, but in all the right places. He is like a guy from a rated R movie, and i'm not sure whether or not i like him yet. I'm not sure where he's coming from.

whether he pushed the half man or convinced him to jump, i felt he was ultimately behind his death and that set the tone for who he is now.

i must be lit, but i thought the girl at the end with the now dead robot was the Tardis with all the "boyfriend" talk. i did not recognize the garden.

i don't know what this change at Christmas means, and i hope it isn't a new companion.

i guess to me, Matt Smith will always be "my" doctor, because he was the first one i saw episodes as they happened and not years later on Sci Fi, but i am looking forward to the new season and the new doctor.

Allons-y!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.