Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Has DVD AF been shut down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Has DVD AF been shut down?

Page won't come up for me and it has been that way for a few days now. Anyone know if they shut the site down?
Old 10-03-14, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Has DVD AF been shut down?

From their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/filmafi/posts/738371926212243

"Hi, as you may know FilmAf is down. We had a RAID crash that took down one of your servers. The good news is that your data, the FilmAf database and all the cover art are safe -- those were on separate machines that were not affected. The webserver itself is the one that seems to be gone. I'm waiting on the data center to see if they can somehow restore it on their end. If they can not it will be a lengthy and slow process to set up a machine from scratch, but we have backups of the website itself. So very little will be lost, but it will be a large amount of work. At this point we are probably looking to perhaps be up again by tomorrow end of day. Apologies for the inconvenience."

Posted 14 hours ago, as I write.

Edit: and an update from one hour ago: "Thank you for your support, understanding and patience. I would throw those thanks right on to the moderators: Greg, Chad and Alex. It is a tough job, lots of work -- sometimes it even gets heated as many folks do really care. We did get a new machine at around 2AM and we proceed on configuring it. The IPs will be the same so there will not be a DNS catch up."
Old 10-03-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Cool, thanks.
Old 10-03-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Weird, I'm usually checking something there every few days but I happened to not go there this week so I hadn't noticed.
Old 10-05-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It is back up, everything seems okay. I have my collection saved somewhere else as well. I will never trust a public site again, I've lost too many virtual collections over the years from sites like DVDAF.
Old 10-05-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Advice to live by. When you put your eggs in someone else's basket, they're going to drop them at some point. At least if you use software that works on your computer, you only have yourself to blame when you didn't back it up.
DVDSpot should have taught us that lesson. I use DVDProfiler, so I have it backed up on my computer as well as online. If Invelos goes under, I can transfer the .csv file to Excel.
Old 10-05-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It working now in 2 days ago... Finally