TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Utopia (Amazon) - S: John Cusack, Rainn Wilson, Sasha Lane, EP: Gillian Flynn

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Utopia (Amazon) - S: John Cusack, Rainn Wilson, Sasha Lane, EP: Gillian Flynn

Per Comingsoon.net:

As Gone Girl racks up tremendous accolades, director David Fincher's follow-up project will not be for the big screen but rather the small as he reunites with writer Gillian Flynn for the HBO series "Utopia." According to The Guardian, Gone Girl writer Flynn will adapt the British crime thriller, and unlike Fincher's previous series "House of Cards," the helmer will direct all episodes in the first season.

Created by Dennis Kelly for Channel 4 in 2013, the original "Utopia" revolved around a graphic novel called "The Utopia Experiments" that proved oddly prophetic in predicting world disasters. When a group of young people/conspiracy geeks come across the manuscript for the sequel novel, they are pursued by an agency called The Network while trying to stop the future calamities it documents.

"I like the world of it," Fincher says of the show, which will occupy him well into 2015. "I like the characters – I love Dennis’s [Kelly, creator of the UK show] honesty and affinity for the nerds. I mean, I've always been a bit of a junior conspiracy theorist 'cause I don't have time to connect them all! But it's nice to see that somebody has."

The UK version of "Utopia" just finished its second season in August and is eyeing a potential third and fourth, which if you know anything about British television is kind of a long run. Fincher himself admits to be following a similar pattern to a few years ago when he adapted The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for the screen then followed it with the popular Netflix series "House of Cards."

"Oddly enough," he says, "I did a remake of a literary adaptation, then I did a remake of a television show. Now I'm doing a literary adaptation [and then remaking another show]. I don't know: the pattern is not clear to me exactly what it is that I'm doing. But I'm sure it'll be illuminated for me. Your job is context. I'm just a hamster on a wheel!"
I'm definitely in, especially with Fincher directing the entire season.
Old 09-30-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
re: Utopia (Amazon) - S: John Cusack, Rainn Wilson, Sasha Lane, EP: Gillian Flynn

Utopia (the UK one) is a good show. A little far fetched, but still enjoyable. I hope they don't change it too much.
Old 09-30-14, 10:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
re: Utopia (Amazon) - S: John Cusack, Rainn Wilson, Sasha Lane, EP: Gillian Flynn

Guess they'll have to change the name because of that reality show?
Old 09-30-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been praising Utopia in our UK thread for awhile. Its region free on Amazon UK if you get the Blu version. I got it for around $10. Easily on the best shows on TV now.
Old 09-30-14, 01:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

UK show is fantastic. I'll check out the HBO version, but honestly I have a hard time thinking of anything they could improve and an easy time thinking of ways they could make it worse.

My one hope with this is it in some way leads to UK S2 (and onward) being released on Blu. From what I've heard there isn't any current plans to ever release beyond S1 on Blu, just on DVD only.
Old 09-30-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Never heard of the UK show. That being said HBO + Fincher = epic win in my book. I'm on board for this one.
Old 09-30-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

IN with Fincher for sure
Old 09-30-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I hope they keep the "look & feel" of the UK version, since that's a big part of the appeal. I don't know if I've ever seen a TV show with such a... unique look. It reminds me more of a Danny Boyle or Jean-Pierre Jeunet film than a conventional TV show.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 09-30-14 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Looks like Fincher is taking a page from Soderbergh's playbook by directing an entire season of episodes. I like it!
Old 09-30-14, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
UK show is fantastic. I'll check out the HBO version, but honestly I have a hard time thinking of anything they could improve and an easy time thinking of ways they could make it worse.

My one hope with this is it in some way leads to UK S2 (and onward) being released on Blu. From what I've heard there isn't any current plans to ever release beyond S1 on Blu, just on DVD only.
I agree with all of this.
Also hoping for blu-rays of original series.
Old 09-30-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
I hope they keep the "look & feel" of the UK version, since that's a big part of the appeal. I don't know if I've ever seen a TV show with such a... unique look. It reminds me more of a Danny Boyle or Jean-Pierre Jeunet film than a conventional TV show.
Yeah, the music, the color saturation, even the really cropped wide screen with long wide shots... its unique.
Old 09-30-14, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wow. Fincher directing an entire series.

I wonder if we will be seeing more of this (acclaimed directors doing entire short seasons 8-10 episode arcs).
Old 09-30-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Fincher directing. Hope it's better than House of Cards.
Old 09-30-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Yeah, the music, the color saturation, even the really cropped wide screen with long wide shots... its unique.
The music! How could I have forgotten that? Watching series 2 this spring inspired me to buy the soundtrack... and, if Last.fm is correct, it's my second-most listened to album of the year. Interesting stuff, and I don't normally "get into" soundtracks.
Old 01-09-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Finally started with the UK series of this and I'm really looking forward to Fincher's take. While the UK version is well done, there was certainly some room for improvement, and as much as I love the soundtrack here I'd love to hear Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross take on it, so hopefully he brings them along.

I also have to imagine Fincher's will be a lot darker (visually and in tone, the UK version is bleak but almost playful with it). I hope he throws a nod to them and at least keeps it in 2.35:1.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-09-15 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ has any tv show ever been shot in 2:35? I think there's a Bill Paxton miniseries airing on History in May that was at least shot in 2:35, but has any others?
Old 01-09-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't recall seeing any actual long running TV shows do it, but it really does give this show a very cinematic feel.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CBN0XTVfn0E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Utopia (UK), Borgen (Danish), Spoils of Babylon (Sundance mini-series) and House of Cards (2.00:1) are about it. So maybe we'll at least get 2.00:1

Last edited by RichC2; 01-09-15 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-08-15, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://deadline.com/2015/08/utopia-d...ed-1201495743/

‘Utopia’ With David Fincher Dead At HBO As Actors Are Released

Budget problems killed it apparently. Fincher wanted $100M+ to make the show and HBO and he couldn't compromise.
Old 08-08-15, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Heh that's one issue with Fincher, no compromises. $100m+ is a lot for a show like that
Old 04-19-18, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Back alive with Flynn as show runner, now @ Amazon: http://deadline.com/2018/04/utopia-s...at-1202367487/
Old 04-19-18, 09:26 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Doesn't seem like any Fincher involvement anymore.
Old 07-23-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Considering current world events and what the show was actually about, ot sure if this is perfectly or horribly timed. Either way, it looks like a step down from the OG.

Old 07-25-20, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

The feel of the original is what I remember. That opening sequence. The dread around the two hitmen.

That first opening scene in the comic book shop is such a great watch, for those who don't know about the original. If that hooks you, you should watch the whole thing.

Old 09-24-20, 08:05 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Utopia (Amazon) - S: John Cusack, Rainn Wilson, Sasha Lane, EP: Gillian Flynn

When the conspiracy in the elusive comic Utopia is real, a group of young fans come together to embark on a high-stakes twisted adventure to use what they uncover to save themselves, each other, and ultimately humanity. Starring John Cusack, Rainn Wilson, and Sasha Lane.
The season is up now. 8 episodes.
Old 09-26-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Utopia (Amazon) - S: John Cusack, Rainn Wilson, Sasha Lane, EP: Gillian Flynn

Good show so far. Was surprised by a shakeup in episode two. The two hitmen are the highlight again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.