TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Castle (S7E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Driven" -- 9/29/14

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Castle (S7E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Driven" -- 9/29/14

SEASON PREMIERE

SEASON 7 OF "CASTLE" PICKS UP AT THE SCENE OF CASTLE'S CAR CRASH, SEPTEMBER 29 ON ABC

"Driven" - In the Season 6 finale, as Richard Castle drove to his much-anticipated nuptials, an ominous black SUV bore down on him. Meanwhile, after waiting in vain for Castle to arrive at the wedding, Beckett was called to an accident scene to find Castle's car in a ravine, engulfed in flames. Who or what caused the car crash? Is there any way Castle could have survived? The episode will pick-up at the scene of that accident, right where the finale left off, in a premiere that promises to put Beckett through the toughest case of her career. Season 7 of "Castle" begins on MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET/PT) on the ABC Television Network.

"Castle" stars Nathan Fillion as Richard Castle, Stana Katic as NYPD Detective Kate Beckett, Tamala Jones as Medical Examiner Lanie Parish, Jon Huertas as NYPD Detective Javier Esposito, Seamus Dever as NYPD Detective Kevin Ryan, Penny Johnson Jerald as NYPD Captain Victoria Gates, Molly Quinn as Alexis Castle with Susan Sullivan as Martha Rodgers.

Guest Cast: Maya Stojan as Tory Ellis, Ryan Sands as Sgt. Taggert, Jon Lindstrom as Agent Connors, Don Stark as Vincent "The Scar" Cardano, Matt Letscher as Henry Jenkins.

"Driven" was written by David Amann and directed by Rob Bowman.

22-24 episode 7th season

http://tvline.com/2014/06/16/castle-...lowe-season-7/

Andrew Marlowe stepped down as showrunner in the summer. But he will still have some presence on the show. David Amann will be the new season 7 showrunner.
Old 09-29-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: Castle (S7E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Driven" -- 9/29/14

I sure hope Castle isn't dead.
Old 09-29-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I sure hope Castle isn't dead.
Wouldn't have a show without him.
Old 09-30-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall I thought the episode was okay. I hated that Beckett could so easily lose faith in him. Haven't they gone thru enough already to prove that the love is real? Are they going to keep questioning that for the rest of their lives? And Esposito is not a friend. He could have tried a little harder to give Castle the benifit of the doubt.
Old 09-30-14, 09:49 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
Overall I thought the episode was okay. I hated that Beckett could so easily lose faith in him. Haven't they gone thru enough already to prove that the love is real? Are they going to keep questioning that for the rest of their lives? And Esposito is not a friend. He could have tried a little harder to give Castle the benifit of the doubt.
I completely agree. The plot was intriguing -- who kidnapped Castle and why? -- but as soon as he woke up in that hospital bed and thought he had just crashed, the reaction should have been "Oh, of course! Amnesia! That explains things!" rather than "Is Castle pretending he has amnesia?"

Hopefully, this was a one-and-done in terms of the tension in the group, and next week, they'll be back to trusting Castle and just working on the mystery of his disappearance.
Old 09-30-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 278 Likes on 232 Posts

I love Castle, but this episode was a mess...I can care less if a nefarious villain was testing out some mind control serum, or whatever. They need to do an ep where we find out that Castle was knocked unconscious after he hit his head on a headboard during an enthusiastic bout of lovemaking while on his honeymoon, and upon his coming too, learn it was all a dream (or something he thought up to put in his latest novel).

Heck, they retconned a huge chunk of the season where Peggy Bundy was supposed to have been pregnant when she (sadly and unfortunately) miscarried, St. Elsewhere may have been an imagined world that took place in a snow globe, J.R. dreamed that he was shot. etc., it would not be that out of place to learn this storyline took place in a writers head with a very fanciful imagination.

I am still a viewer, but the show is no longer a priority to catch up on fast before everyone on the web spoils the show.
Old 09-30-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I am convinced that whoever wrote that episode has never actually seen an episode of Castle. The characters didn't act like themselves at all and it felt like they crammed 4 episodes worth of material into 42 minutes. The entire "doubting Castle" was so out there that it reminded me of the episode in season seven of Buffy The Vampire Slayer where everyone turns on her. I really hope Castle doesn't go that way because I loved Buffy and Angel at first but as the series progressed I liked the characters less and less.
Old 09-30-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I am convinced that whoever wrote that episode has never actually seen an episode of Castle. The characters didn't act like themselves at all and it felt like they crammed 4 episodes worth of material into 42 minutes. The entire "doubting Castle" was so out there that it reminded me of the episode in season seven of Buffy The Vampire Slayer where everyone turns on her. I really hope Castle doesn't go that way because I loved Buffy and Angel at first but as the series progressed I liked the characters less and less.
It was written by David Amann, the new showrunner and has been a staff writer and producer since season 3.
Old 09-30-14, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

I thought the episode was pretty good - they went somewhere that I didn't expect with the whole, "Castle disappears," thing.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed in the whole thing where Kate, Ryan, and especially Esposito doubted Castles sincerity. Come on - the guy is a multi-millionaire. Like he's really going to live in a tiny tent eating canned food on the shore like that.

But the idea that Castle's been somewhere in South America, Asia, or Africa and got shot is intriguing. What the hell happened during that two months?

I would suspect that it's got something to do with his dad, and someone used drugs to erase Castle's memory of that period.

I do think they threw too much into one episode (it had enough for two episodes), but overall I still enjoyed it.

I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode to find out what happened.
Old 09-30-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

The tone of this felt rushed and wrong. They could have ended the episode finding him in the dinggy and that would have allowed more time to breath.

The attitude of Kate, Havi and Ryan felt so wrong a well, which others pointed out. Plus Martha seemed "in on it" (not that there was an it), as she was brushing everything off.

I was really reminded of the issue last season where Beckett was suddenly questioning the foundation of their relation right after Castle stood by here while she was on a bomb. That felt so off and out of character, in the same way this episode did.

I did appreciate the callbacks to old cases as potential suspects.

I'm all for darker and tense episodes, as this show has proved so adept at in the past, but the show needs to find its tone again.
Old 10-02-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah this was a very odd continuation.

Espo has been kind of a jerk for sometime now. I don't think it's just situated right here. But yes, I was surprised that Kate was starting to question Castle after knowing the man for 6 years now.

I hope there is a good resolution to this arc. It's definitely intriguing.
Old 10-09-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They should have just made this a 2 parter and be done with it. The whole dynamic seems off.
Old 10-09-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
They should have just made this a 2 parter and be done with it. The whole dynamic seems off.
CLEARLY you have not watched THIS WEEK'S installment!

I expect you'll change your tune.
Old 10-09-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
CLEARLY you have not watched THIS WEEK'S installment!

I expect you'll change your tune.
You are correct. I was out of town binging on the final season of Warehouse 13. I'll probably catch this tomorrow night