Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Once Upon a Time (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A Tale of Two Sisters" -- 9/28/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Once Upon a Time (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A Tale of Two Sisters" -- 9/28/14

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

SEASON PREMIERE

A SCARED AND CONFUSED ELSA FROM ARENDELLE FINDS HERSELF IN STORYBROOKE AND CREATES A POWERFUL SNOW MONSTER FOR PROTECTION, REGINA WONDERS IF HER RELATIONSHIP WITH ROBIN HOOD HAS BEEN COMPLETELY QUASHED NOW THAT MARIAN'S BACK IN THE PICTURE, AND IN ARENDELLE OF THE PAST, ELSA'S SISTER ANNA WANTS TO COMPLETE THEIR PARENT'S FATEFUL JOURNEY AND DISCOVER IF THEIR QUEST MAY HAVE HELD THE SECRET TO CONTAINING ELSA'S OUT OF CONTROL ICE POWERS, ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF ABC'S "ONCE UPON A TIME"

John Rhys-Davies ("The Lord of the Rings," "Raiders of the Lost Ark") Voices the Grand Pabbie

Giancarlo Esposito Guest Stars as Sidney/Magic Mirror

Master storytellers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz ("Lost," "Tron: Legacy") invite everyone to join Emma Swan, Snow White, Prince Charming, The Evil Queen, Hook and all the other resident fairytale characters as they prepare to defend themselves against a magical force from the past that's too unpredictable even for Rumplestiltskin - Elsa, the Ice Queen from Arendelle. And now that Emma has brought back Robin Hood's wife, Marian, and possibly sparked the end of Regina's relationship with him, will Regina return to her old, evil ways and do everything in her power to get even? And newlyweds Belle and Rumplestiltskin continue to be deeply in love with each other. But Rumple is hiding a secret from Belle -- one that, if found out, could destroy their happiness - he continues to be the master of the dagger that calls upon him to be the Dark One. Can Emma and Hook commit to one another, and can these two damaged people take their love to the next level? Mary Margaret and David have a new baby, Prince Neal, and are looking forward to raising him into a proud, brave and loving adult. But they are still sad that they were not able to do this with Emma, instead helping her escape the curse when she was first born and not meeting her again until she was 28 years old. Henry is very happy to have both of his mothers back in Storybrooke. But with biological mom Emma and paternal grandfather Rumplestiltskin's blood running through his veins, he will be tested by both the light and the darkness. Finally, Will Scarlet (Michael Socha, "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland"), a former member of Robin Hood's band of Merry Men, has traveled across many lands to make his way to Storybrooke. He finds himself intertwined in the goings-on in town for the first time as his mysterious past pushes him to an unknown future.

In the season premiere episode, "A Tale of Two Sisters," a scared and confused Elsa finds herself in Storybrooke and, fearful of the intentions of its residents, creates a powerful snow monster for protection. With Robin Hood's wife, Marian, back in the picture, Regina wonders if her "happily ever after" with the former thief has been completely quashed; while on their honeymoon, Mr. Gold finds an intriguing object that makes him question whether or not he should officially give Belle control over the dagger that makes him The Dark One, and Hook is dismayed to discover that Emma seems to be avoiding him while she tries to help comfort Regina after being the one responsible for bringing Marian back from the past and into Storybrooke. Meanwhile, in Arendelle of the past, as Elsa's sister Anna's wedding to Kristoff nears, Anna discovers that their parents - who died on-ship during a violent storm - were heading to a mysterious destination in a quest that may have held the secret to containing Elsa's out of control Ice powers. And against Elsa's wishes, Anna wants to finish their journey to find out what they were looking for, on "Once Upon a Time," SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 28 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Once Upon a Time" stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Mary Margaret, Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, Lana Parrilla as the Evil Queen/Regina, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/David Nolan, Emilie de Ravin as Belle, Colin O'Donoghue as Hook, Jared S. Gilmore as Henry, Michael Socha as Will Scarlet and Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold.

Guest starring are Lee Arenberg as Leroy/Grumpy, Faustino Di Bauda as Walter/Sleepy, Giancarlo Esposito as Sidney/Magic Mirror, Sean Maguire as Robin Hood, Georgina Haig as Elsa, Elizabeth Lail as Anna, Scott Michael Foster as Kristoff, Oliver Rice as noble man, Pascale Hutton as regal woman, Raphael Alejandro as Roland, Jason Burkart as Little John, Christie Laing as Maid Marian and John Rhys-Davies as Grand Pabbie.

"A Tale of Two Sisters" was written by Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz and directed by Ralph Hemecker.

22 episode 4th season
Old 09-28-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A Tale of Two Sisters" -- 9/28/14

I'll be watching. Last season was pretty uneven, but I still like the characters and premise well enough. Hopefully the stories will be paced better this time.
Old 09-28-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "A Tale of Two Sisters" -- 9/28/14

I hope this Frozen crap is no more than half the season.
Old 09-28-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Once Upon A Time but tonight's season premier sucked so much ass. They turned the show into a sequel to Frozen? Really? No attempt to put their own twist on the story but rather an outright sequel?

I think I'm skipping this season.
Old 09-28-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

So the house that Gold and Belle have borrowed belongs to the Sorcerer. Wonder if we'll meet him this season...
Old 09-28-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best episode in over a season. Love the Frozen storyline but without losing other, important storylines as well. TV critics seem to agree the premiere was terrific and the show is on its best footing ever.
Old 09-28-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

A good start.
Old 09-28-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it. I'm not a huge Frozen fan (just saw it recently and thought 'meh') but I really like that they cast Georgina Haig as Elsa. She played Peter and Olivia's daughter on Fringe. And I'm glad that they're furthering Elsa and Anna's story and not doing their origin again.
Old 09-28-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done, good family show.

Love what the did with Frozen...except for how they found the book in a drawer after their parents being gone for 10 year. Do you think they NEVER would have looked in that drawer in 10 years.

Anyway, my wife and I loved the show...would love to see the actor that played the little snow man be in the show.
Old 09-29-14, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

Love what the did with Frozen...except for how they found the book in a drawer after their parents being gone for 10 year. Do you think they NEVER would have looked in that drawer in 10 years.

Anyway, my wife and I loved the show...would love to see the actor that played the little snow man be in the show.
Josh Gad.

Has the CGI always been this bad? If the cgi for the evil snow creature and the trolls looked this bad, imagine how bad it would look for Olaf
Old 09-29-14, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I enjoyed everything about the episode, but Regina's "Mirror mirror on the wall, show me who I want to kill most of all" was the highlight for me.
Old 09-29-14, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Josh Gad.

Has the CGI always been this bad? If the cgi for the evil snow creature and the trolls looked this bad, imagine how bad it would look for Olaf
No, this is definitely the worst the CGI on Once has ever looked. They must have gotten the VFX crew that handled Agents of SHIELD last season.

Aside from the dodgy snow monster, I thought this was a rousing start to the season. I thought Frozen as a movie was pretty middling but Elsa looks like a great addition to the cast. I was more interested in the stuff with Mr. Gold.
Old 09-29-14, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding the visual effects, the thing that bugs me most of all is the pictures in Henry's book. They look like someone basically just takes stills from the show and runs the "posterize" photoshop filter on them. Really awful. The snowman and trolls didn't bother me, but those story book "illustrations" scream "cheap!"
Old 09-29-14, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Regarding the visual effects, the thing that bugs me most of all is the pictures in Henry's book. They look like someone basically just takes stills from the show and runs the "posterize" photoshop filter on them. Really awful. The snowman and trolls didn't bother me, but those story book "illustrations" scream "cheap!"
Ok, nice to know.
Old 09-29-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by N2DVD
So the house that Gold and Belle have borrowed belongs to the Sorcerer. Wonder if we'll meet him this season...
Yensid - I magine so. Gold will probably be on the hunt for his power.
Old 09-29-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I thought the CGI troll looked pretty good, especially for TV

Anyway I gave up on the show near the start of season 3 (how long were they on that fucking island??) but I decided to give it a shot with all this Frozen hype. Ehh. Not bad. Not great either. I'll see where it goes though...
Old 09-29-14, 11:15 AM

In the overnight ratings, Once Upon a Time had 9.34 million viewers and a 3.4 in the 18-49 demo, levels not seen since early in S2.

I thought the premiere was great. Hopefully the extra viewers who tuned in because of the Frozen story will stay for the remainder of the fall episodes.
Old 09-29-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also liked the little Beauty & the Beast homage as well.
Old 09-29-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain
In the overnight ratings, Once Upon a Time had 9.34 million viewers and a 3.4 in the 18-49 demo, levels not seen since early in S2.

I thought the premiere was great. Hopefully the extra viewers who tuned in because of the Frozen story will stay for the remainder of the fall episodes.
Those ratings pretty much clinched Elsa becoming a permanent cast member. I think it's a well-done casting.
Old 09-29-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I enjoyed it. I think they incorporated Elsa and Anna into the storyline without being too in your face about it. I mean this is still Once Upon a Time, not Frozen 2: The Live Action Movie.

Henry has aged so much. Looks like he's going through puberty like what Carl is going through on The Walking Dead.

Georgina Haig looked stunning as Elsa. I think that was a great casting decision to hire her.

Glad to see them bring back Giancarlo Esposito as the mirror since Revolution got canceled.

The little nod to Beauty and the Beast with Belle and Mr. Gold was kind of nice, but looks like he's back to his old tricks again.
Old 09-29-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

Well, Anna tried for how many years to get Elsa to open the door to build a snowman?

I really liked the season opener. I'm an old fart who who happens to love the way this show turns things on their heads, so this hits the spot for me.
Old 09-29-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked this episode so much better than anything last season.
Old 09-29-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I was more intrigued by the Sorcerer's Hat appearance (and the ensuing musical cues) than by any of the Frozen mishegas.
Old 09-29-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I was more intrigued by the Sorcerer's Hat appearance (and the ensuing musical cues) than by any of the Frozen mishegas.
Agreed.

And, seriously, the worst thing about the Frozen nonsense is that it played too cutesy. The fun of this show was how it was always like a very warped fairy tale (Little Red Riding Hood as a werewolf, anyone?). The bulk of the episode felt too "safe", even for this show.
Old 09-29-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain

Still haven't watched it (dumb family member wanted to see Simpsons) but glad this did well in the ratings. I hope people stick around as while it is hit and miss, for the hit parts on the show, it's really well done and some amazing and talented actors (Rumple is easily one of my favorite characters on TV).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.