Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to upgrade my Terminator 1-3 films to Blu Ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm giving myself a headache trying to research the best way to upgrade my Terminator 1-3 dvd's. Between the anthology set, and stand alone releases I'm trying to figure out what has the best PQ and which one carries over the most special features from the extreme dvd etc.

There are different places to look this up, but I was just hoping for a fresh personal opinion.

What way did you guys go?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-27-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What is the best way to upgrade my Terminator 1-3 films to Blu Ray?

T1 - The original MGM BD has the original color timing, but I believe the same transfer as the SE DVD and only a few extras from the DVD. The SE DVD also has the original mono track. The remastered BD has a much a better video transfer, but still not all the extras from the SE DVD, and no mono track. IMO the best option is to have the SE DVD for the original video and audio, and all the extras, paired with the Remastered BD.

T2 - Get the Skynet BD and the Ultimate DVD to go with your Extreme DVD. Takes all three to get all the extras. Personally that is what I have.

T3 - I believe the one BD option has all the extras as the DVD, but I seem to remember it not having lossless audio. I don't really care for T3 much so I have kept my DVD of that one and skipped the BD all together.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-28-14 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-27-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Stop being OCD.
Old 09-27-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The original T1 Blu-ray release apparently has he proper color-timing, though he PQ is lower, but no Blu version keeps the original mono for some weird-ass reason . Hoping for an ultimate collection to coincide with the new movie (I'm not spelling it), but doubt it. Why the mono is so effing difficult, I'll never know.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Stop being OCD.
You do realize where you are, yes ?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-27-14 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-27-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
T1 - The original MGM BD has the original color timing, but I believe the same transfer as the SE DVD and only a few extras from the DVD. The SE DVD also has the original mono track. The remastered BD has a much a better video transfer, but still not all the extras from the SE DVD, and no mono track. IMO the best option is to have the SE DVD for the original video and audio, and all the extras, paired with the Remastered BD.

T2 - Get the Skynet BD and both the Ultimate DVD to go with your Extreme DVD. Takes all three to get all the extras. Personally that is what I have.

T3 - I believe the one BD option has all the extras as the DVD, but I seem to remember it not having lossless audio. I don't really care for T3 much so I have kept by DVD of that one and skipped the BD all together.
This is all solid advice. Since different studios own the various Terminators, don't ever expect to see a complete box set of the franchise.
Old 09-27-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
You do realize where you are, yes ?
Hey, I got the German HD-DVD of T2, which is considered the best version available in high definition.

Who am I to talk.
Old 09-27-14, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Since different studios own the various Terminators, don't ever expect to see a complete box set of the franchise.
Like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Terminator-Ant...rds=terminator
Old 09-27-14, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

T3 isn't that bad for a summer blockbuster. I don't feel the need to see Salvation ever again.
Old 09-28-14, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I got the German HD-DVD of T2, which is considered the best version available in high definition.
The T2 Premium Edition Blu-ray from Japan would like to have a word with you.

The T2 Skynet Edition BD is smoothed to shit. I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the screen caps from the Japan BD. That's in bad need of a reissue, but I'm not holding my breath until the 25th anniversary.
Old 09-28-14, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

T2 - Get the Skynet BD and both the Ultimate DVD to go with your Extreme DVD. Takes all three to get all the extras. Personally that is what I have.

T3 - I believe the one BD option has all the extras as the DVD, but I seem to remember it not having lossless audio. I don't really care for T3 much so I have kept by DVD of that one and skipped the BD all together.

looks like ill be hanging onto my dvd's. Not porting over all extras is a big pet peeve for me. Though I will be looking into buying the Remastered BD and Skynet BD. Thanks man. (and everyone else)
Old 09-28-14, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Who am I to talk.
I have the Studio Canal French version of T2 on HD DVD, which is a two disc set containing the director's cut and the theatrical.

Not sure how it compares to the German one but they both look better than the first US Blu-ray version.
Old 09-28-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jory
That's the one I've got. It has two notable flaws:

1. It includes the original transfer of The Terminator, which I think looks fine, but it was later given a remastered re-release.

2. It includes Terminator 3.

If all of my Terminator stuff was lost and I had to re-purchase, I think I would buy the newer remaster of The Terminator, the Skynet Edition of T2 (which is the one included in the Anthology set), both seasons of the TV show, and not bother with T3 or Salvation. T3 is an embarrassment, and although I can sort of enjoy Salvation for the action scenes, the script is dogshit. The TV show is a far better follow-up to the first two films than the last two were.
I suspect many would consider the inclusion of the remastered first movie a flaw because of the color tweaks.

And I dislike the TV series as much as T3. Kept watching it till the end hoping it would improve. Nope. No interest in ever seeing it again.

Really sad how bad everything has been for this franchise after T2 and weird how the US home video releases have all had major flaws.
Old 09-28-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
The T2 Premium Edition Blu-ray from Japan would like to have a word with you.

The T2 Skynet Edition BD is smoothed to shit. I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the screen caps from the Japan BD. That's in bad need of a reissue, but I'm not holding my breath until the 25th anniversary.
In what ways (other than increased video bitrate, since I presume the Japanese Blu of T2 is a BD50) is the T2 Premium edition superior to the German HD-DVD?

I also have the German HD-DVD version of T2, which is just the Director's cut slapped onto HD-DVD. If memory serves, the Studio Canal release has a pitch problem, something like the audio was encoded at PAL (23.976/25) speed. So, it is higher pitched than it should have been. I researched before buying what I then considered the best version of T2, and apparently the German HD-DVD is free of that audio issue. The PQ is very good, does not look like much DNR was applied. I completely skipped the Skynet edition when I saw that the reviews said it is slathered with unnecessary DNR.

As for the original TERMINATOR, looks like the correct color-timing version is the one to get even though it is an inferior encode. For a purist, the original color-timing trounces even encoding problems. I have both editions, however, and was very disappointed (no, upset is the better word) with the revised teal color-timing of the otherwise excellent encode of the newer Blu release.

The existing Blu of T3 looks fine and is your only option.
Old 09-29-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

T3 - I believe the one BD option has all the extras as the DVD, but I seem to remember it not having lossless audio. I don't really care for T3 much so I have kept my DVD of that one and skipped the BD all together.
The American Blu-ray of Terminator 3 from Warner had only lossy Dolby Digital audio. However, the UK Blu-ray from Sony has lossless TrueHD 5.1.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terminator-R...dp/B001UL7SLW/

It's not too expensive to import. If you go through checkout, Amazon UK will deduct VAT for international customers. After shipping and currency conversion, the whole thing currently comes to $15.72 USD.

This is assuming that Warner hasn't silently reissued the movie with lossless in this country. They did that for Superman Returns and a couple of other titles, but I haven't paid much attention to this one.

Last edited by Josh Z; 09-29-14 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty sure that WB has not added lossless audio to Terminator 3 in this country. They may have in Japan.