Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E01) -- "Suck It Up and Survive" -- 9/24/14

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E01) -- "Suck It Up and Survive" -- 9/24/14

Eighteen castaways compete with and against loved ones in a "Blood vs. Water" style competition that reintroduces Exile Island to the game. In the opener, the 18 players arrive in Nicaragua and participate in their first challenge.

This is Blood vs Water II. Tonight's premiere is 90 minutes.
Old 09-24-14, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survivor: San Juan Del Sur (S29E01) -- "Suck It Up and Survive" -- 9/24/14

Did the person voted out tonight go to Exile Island? Or are they out of the game for good?
Old 09-24-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's gone. Exile Island is not Redemption Island. Next week whoever loses the reward challenge will get sent to EI.
Old 09-24-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

No mention of the Redemption gimmick so I am assuming gone.

I like the group so far in that they seem to be knowledgable and want to play the game. And no horribly ugly personalities...
Old 09-24-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Rocker's a beast.

I'm just so disappointed that Nadiya went home first. I can only imagine how devastated I would be if Natalie went home next.
Old 09-24-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I didn't see those Amazing Race seasons, so I don't know if that was a loss or a godsend. I don't blame the other players. She had multiple shots at a million dollars on another show. Give someone else a chance.

The first Blood vs Water show was one of the few Survivor seasons I never bothered watching (because I really didn't want to see a number of those returning players). Though I like the general idea.
Old 09-24-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
I didn't see those Amazing Race seasons, so I don't know if that was a loss or a godsend. I don't blame the other players. She had multiple shots at a million dollars on another show. Give someone else a chance.

The first Blood vs Water show was one of the few Survivor seasons I never bothered watching (because I really didn't want to see a number of those returning players). Though I like the general idea.
They are insufferable in just about every way imaginable.

Blood vs. Water worked really well the first time, but I wish they had dropped Redemption Island when they went they cut down to the jury portion of the game. That was the only time in it's three seasons that I thought RI worked as a concept though.
Old 09-24-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Of course I'm glad Nadiya is gone, but the fact that the twins weren't together most of the time made them a little more bearable.

I really enjoyed the opening episode. Lots of interesting characters and no one being insufferable...yet. I figured the vote for Baylor came from the gay guy who was feeling caught in the middle.

The previews at the end show there will be lots of fireworks ahead. Should be fun.

Also, Rocker cracked me up trying to play off his identity. John Wetland? I had to look it up. He was never on the same team as former baseball player John Wetteland.
Old 09-24-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#Blindside... What blindside? It's not like there was an obvious target or anything.

Don't watch the amazing race but about 2minutes in I think I grasped the "Oh no not the Twinnies" comments around here. What was Survivor thinking? Are they popular or something?

I did like "Does your name have 5 letters in it" Survivor really does seem to like to feed the stereotypes when they cast the show. But there doesn't seem to be the outspoken minority or the crazy old person though.
Old 09-25-14, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
Don't watch the amazing race but about 2minutes in I think I grasped the "Oh no not the Twinnies" comments around here. What was Survivor thinking? Are they popular or something?.
They're polarizing. I think most people love to hate them. I can understand that, and I don't mind them because these shows are also about diversity and that does add to the entertainment value.
Old 09-25-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sven
He's gone. Exile Island is not Redemption Island. Next week whoever loses the reward challenge will get sent to EI.
Come on man, she's not THAT ugly.

I'm so glad there is no redmeption angle this season. Hope it never returns.

Originally Posted by wirefan
#Blindside... What blindside? It's not like there was an obvious target or anything.

Don't watch the amazing race but about 2minutes in I think I grasped the "Oh no not the Twinnies" comments around here. What was Survivor thinking? Are they popular or something?
Actually they were hated by most. And these days Survivor seems to love to have on people that are hated. How else do you explain the season where they brought back pretty much every person hated in the other recent seasons?

I had the same reaction to the #blindside graphic. It will lose all meaning very quickly if they keep that up.

Personally I can't wait till Twinnie #2 finds out that #1 was sent packing. But sadly, at the same time it could mean they will keep the other around longer. The last season they played the "Blood vs. Water" angle it become very clear that the goal should be getting rid of as many "couples" before the merge as possible. I expect this cast to be aware of that and do the same thing.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-25-14 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-25-14, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Come on man, she's not THAT ugly.

I'm so glad there is no redmeption angle this season. Hope it never returns.

HA! For some reason I had it in my head that Dale had gotten voted out instead.

And yeah I don't miss Redemption Island at all.
Old 09-25-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I do not like these bloated 90-minute Survivor episodes. The show already has so much filler in a normal episode, these extended ones always feel like an excuse to run more commercials.

Anyone notice how one tribe is much more attractive than the other? The producers didn't balance that one out too well, unless it was some kind of hidden social experiment for them.
Old 09-25-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anyone notice how one tribe is much more attractive than the other? The producers didn't balance that one out too well, unless it was some kind of hidden social experiment for them.
It looked like tribes were chosen randomly, aside from the intentional effort to separate loved ones.
Old 09-25-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do not like these bloated 90-minute Survivor episodes. The show already has so much filler in a normal episode, these extended ones always feel like an excuse to run more commercials.
Agreed. Thankfully we never watch the show live and can skip the commercials. The finale and reunion shows are always the worst.

If you are saying that the random selection isn't really random, I have had the same thoughts. Felt that way for a few seasons now.
Old 09-25-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

It's ok for the first episode. You need some time to introduce all the players. I like how everyone got a little interview snippet. Not just a handful of players who are bringing the most "drama" (like we always seem to get once the season gets going).
Old 09-25-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Other than the twins (one of which is gone already) there don't seem to be any super-annoying players this season. Oh sure, there are a few that are dumber and/or more naive than some of the others, but there doesn't seem to be any Coltons or Brandons in this batch, which is a good thing.

Man, those bugs were after Probst in the opening! All that makeup, no doubt.
Old 09-25-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Other than the twins (one of which is gone already) there don't seem to be any super-annoying players this season. Oh sure, there are a few that are dumber and/or more naive than some of the others, but there doesn't seem to be any Coltons or Brandons in this batch, which is a good thing.
I suppose we'll see how much Rocker has matured since he's been out of baseball.
Old 09-25-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,019 Likes on 842 Posts

Rocker is indeed a beast. Clearly he sees this as his chance for public redemption so I'm guessing he'll try to be on his best behavior. Seems funny to think of him as only 39, but he WAS only 24 back then.

The twinnies were really annoying on TAR, and I'm glad to see one gone, but I agree they were less annoying split apart. Except for the whole "we were counting you as a girl" thing--just shut your mouth already.

With all these pairs, and the twinnies, I had to remind myself I wasn't watching TAR.

I guessed it was Josh who had thrown his vote away instead of making a decision, and yep.

No Redemption Island!

And yeah, John Wetteland.
Old 09-25-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I'm so glad to see one of the Twinnies go first! Also, I think it was Reed, but he was a blur during the beginning of the challenge where they had to crawl. It seems like he beat everyone to the finish of the crawl by a good 2-3 seconds. Also, were Josh and Reed the only ones to eat the first night? They were the only ones shown cooking a crab. If so, that's really impressive.
Old 09-29-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Also, I think it was Reed, but he was a blur during the beginning of the challenge where they had to crawl.
I noticed that too. Whoever it was was looked like a demon flying through there.
Granted it is only my first exposure to them, but I didn't find the twinnies annoying at all.
Old 09-29-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Good start to the season.

Good call getting rid of the twin. I don't watch Amazing Race but they were talking up a storm about it. I would have voted for her too, just to get rid of any advantage she may have by already knowing things about reality tv.

I like the black dude. Seems like a really genuine person. The crying after sending his wife to EI was perfect. It got him in with the women right away. Hope he sticks around awhile.

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
I like the group so far in that they seem to be knowledgable and want to play the game. And no horribly ugly personalities...
Just wait till John Rocker opens his mouth.

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Also, Rocker cracked me up trying to play off his identity. John Wetland? I had to look it up. He was never on the same team as former baseball player John Wetteland.
That was great. How do you call yourself a Braves fan and not know who John Rocker is right away?
Old 09-29-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm not sure how good this season will be without Redemption Island. It was the source of most of the drama in the last blood v. water season... watching your loved one battle to stay in the game, sacrificing yourself and taking their place, etc. Now, once your loved one is gone, they're gone. So what?
Old 09-29-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I like the black dude. Seems like a really genuine person. The crying after sending his wife to EI was perfect. It got him in with the women right away. Hope he sticks around awhile.
Why wouldn't he just choose himself to go to Exile with her? Or is that not allowed?
Old 09-29-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I'm not sure how good this season will be without Redemption Island. It was the source of most of the drama in the last blood v. water season... watching your loved one battle to stay in the game, sacrificing yourself and taking their place, etc. Now, once your loved one is gone, they're gone. So what?
For me, there is good drama and bad drama. And for me, far too much of RI was bad drama. Survivor was just fine for years without Exile and Redemption Island. Same goes for idols too, but I can't see them getting rid of the idols now.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-29-14 at 04:12 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.