DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Blu-Ray on PC

Old 09-22-14, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu-Ray on PC

I have a Dell XPS8700, Logitech THX-certified stereo speakers, and ACER HD 1920x1080 24" monitor.

I don't own a television, and don't really want to. I watch movies on my computer.

Now, questions:

A. If I get a Blu-Ray drive will Blu-Ray movies look better than DVD movies?
B. DVDs will play in a Blu-Ray drive but will they look any different?
C. Would there be any advantage to me to get a Blu-Ray drive?
Old 09-22-14, 02:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Blu-Ray on PC

Originally Posted by patrickt
Yes, absolutely. BUT, if by some chance the drive doesn't come bundled with software, you will need a program to playback Blu-ray discs.
Some programs will do some software upscaling of DVD to HD. They may look pretty good, but definitely not as good as an actual Blu-ray.
With the right software, you can playback Blu-rays and DVDs from any region around the world. If that matters to you, it's a good way to go. That software can be expensive. But since that's a "copy protection circumvention" thing as well, we can't talk about or name it here. Google "blu-ray pc region software restrictions" and you may find something.
Old 09-22-14, 02:49 PM

Thank you.

Question: What software is region-free? I used DVD X but that doesn't work with my new computer and customer support is not there. Now I'm using PowerDVD 14 Standard.
Old 09-22-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Dan, I've never encountered that before. I can play BDs and DVDs from all regions on my computer, not that I watch movies on the computer.
Old 09-22-14, 03:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you.

Question: What software is region-free? I used DVD X but that doesn't work with my new computer and customer support is not there. Now I'm using PowerDVD 14 Standard.
Like I said, I don't think we can mention the specific name of software, but if you do the google search I mentioned, you should find something that works.

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Dan, I've never encountered that before. I can play BDs and DVDs from all regions on my computer, not that I watch movies on the computer.
Are they "all region" discs or are they specifically labelled as "B" or "C" only? The Blu-ray Disc Association has very strict rules in place for hardware and software players, especially for BD, to ensure Region B or C can't be played on Region A players, including PC drives. I think some (all?) drives let you "switch" regions a certain number of times (5?), but then they lock down after that. Only specific software (or in some cases, config editing) will trick your software into allowing it to play the disc.

Which programs are you using on your computer for BD playback?
Old 09-22-14, 05:54 PM

Tabletop DVD and, I assume, Blu-Ray can be made all region. Every DVD movie I've seen comes with a region and DVD drives in computers honor that. I got a DVD I ordered from the U.S., I'm in Mexico, and just tried to run it. Nope.

No, I've searched the net and the only region-free program I've found is DVD X and it doesn't work on my computer. The sound and video stutters.
Old 09-22-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan
Like I said, I don't think we can mention the specific name of software, but if you do the google search I mentioned, you should find something that works.
I don't think there's a restriction on discussing region workarounds. There are plenty of threads on region-free players. It's not like you're defeating copy protection.
Old 09-22-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Are they "all region" discs or are they specifically labelled as "B" or "C" only? The Blu-ray Disc Association has very strict rules in place for hardware and software players, especially for BD, to ensure Region B or C can't be played on Region A players, including PC drives. I think some (all?) drives let you "switch" regions a certain number of times (5?), but then they lock down after that. Only specific software (or in some cases, config editing) will trick your software into allowing it to play the disc.

Which programs are you using on your computer for BD playback?
Interesting and infuriating (the lengths the companies go to to thwart buyers of their shit), but I have yet to run into any difficulties at all. I buy some DVDs/BDs from Amazon U.K., and with the BDs I burn a re-encoded DVD copy of each film. I use good ole VLC for playback and have never been impeded.
Old 09-23-14, 09:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I don't think there's a restriction on discussing region workarounds. There are plenty of threads on region-free players. It's not like you're defeating copy protection.
True. It's just that the "best" software for making your BD drive on your computer region free, without having to "switch" it like with standalone players, also happens to remove all copy protection mechanisms as well.

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Interesting and infuriating (the lengths the companies go to to thwart buyers of their shit),
Totally agree. Region encoding, especially on BD at this point, is just a poor attempt at controlling the distribution of content. Considering the UK versions of some titles are vastly superior (I'm looking at you, The Zero Theorem), it's just ridiculous, although I think that particular title is A/B/C in the UK, but only A in Canada.
but I have yet to run into any difficulties at all. I buy some DVDs/BDs from Amazon U.K., and with the BDs I burn a re-encoded DVD copy of each film. I use good ole VLC for playback and have never been impeded.
Yeah, VLC is great for playback. I kind of forgot about that, as I defaulted to TMT5 for quite a long time. If you're taking your BDs and burning DVDs from them, there's got to be something you're using to circumvent the region/copy protection stuff. Maybe it's built into the software you're using? If you don't mind PM'ing me what you use, please do. I'm always looking for better or more efficient ways to backup my media as well.
Old 09-23-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan

Totally agree. Region encoding, especially on BD at this point, is just a poor attempt at controlling the distribution of content. Considering the UK versions of some titles are vastly superior (I'm looking at you, The Zero Theorem), it's just ridiculous, although I think that particular title is A/B/C in the UK, but only A in Canada.
However, in some cases a title may be on different labels in different regions. The label has exclusive rights in that region. If WB holds the rights in the U.S. they are not going to want a different company's version from another region cutting into their market.
It may be all under one roof now but what started this region business was new major studio films being released by different studio in other countries. For sake of example: maybe Paramount would have a deal to have WB distribute their films to theaters and home video in Europe. Before DVD there was PAL/NTSC to protect territorial distribution rights.
I agree it's stupid for worldwide distribution on same label to be region coded.
Old 09-24-14, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
However, in some cases a title may be on different labels in different regions. The label has exclusive rights in that region. If WB holds the rights in the U.S. they are not going to want a different company's version from another region cutting into their market.
It may be all under one roof now but what started this region business was new major studio films being released by different studio in other countries. For sake of example: maybe Paramount would have a deal to have WB distribute their films to theaters and home video in Europe. Before DVD there was PAL/NTSC to protect territorial distribution rights.
I agree it's stupid for worldwide distribution on same label to be region coded.
It is my understanding that DVD are not released in all regions simultaneously and the region-coding is an attempt to control the pirating market. It obviously isn't working well but that's the justification.
Old 09-24-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

It is my understanding that DVD are not released in all regions simultaneously and the region-coding is an attempt to control the pirating market. It obviously isn't working well but that's the justification.
You'd think releasing simultaneously worldwide would better.
Old 09-27-14, 06:31 PM

VLC does not officially support Blu-Ray. It works for some users and not others. It works on some discs and not others.

The only real software for the PC is PowerDVD.

As for playback on the PC, you need a Blu-Ray drive, video card with HDMI output, and a monitor connected by HDMI (for HDCP compliance).

Region coding isn't used by all manufacturers in all regions. Unless you have or plan to get a huge collection of discs from other regions, isn't an issue. And as noted, can be defeated (at present anyway).
Old 09-30-14, 03:15 PM

I have a Dell XPS8700, Logitech THX-certified stereo speakers, and ACER HD 1920x1080 24" monitor.

I don't own a television, and don't really want to. I watch movies on my computer.

Now, questions:

Since all you want to do is watch blu ray movies on you ACER monitor. Why not just get a stand alone Blu Ray player for under $100 and connect it to your monitor (most monitors have more than one digital input - you can use HDMI for your BD player and DVI for your PC - if not you may need an HDMI switcher) Also your DVDs will be upscaled by your BD player and look better. Not sure how much is would matter on a 24inch monitor.

You may have to figure things for Audio - many monitors have Audio out.

Blu-Ray drives have not really caught on since BD blank media are expensive.

Last edited by soundman2; 09-30-14 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogg
The only real software for the PC is PowerDVD.
There is also Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre. And Media Player Classic - BE will, as well.

Last edited by Numanoid; 10-02-14 at 12:11 AM.