Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Console gaming: TV or Monitor ?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Do you console game on a monitor or TV?
Monitor FTW!
8.33%
TVs are 'da bomb!
91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the market for a new TV and it got me thinking; maybe I should also get a monitor to do my PS4 gaming on. Primary reason being gaming monitors have lower input lag than most TVs. Also, a buddy gamed on a monitor and I swear it looked better (more vibrant, crisper, etc) than on my TV.

So, do you console game on a PC monitor or TV? And, why?

Thanks
Old 09-17-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Console gaming: TV or Monitor ?

TV because it's bigger and I want to sit on my couch when I'm playing console games.
Old 09-17-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

TV /thread
Old 09-17-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The largest computer monitors you typically see are 30 inches, are you looking at TV's that small?
Old 09-17-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

If input lag is a concern, here is a resource to help:

Input Lag Database
Old 09-17-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Find a Panasonic Alpha IPS TV? Not sure if they still exist...
Old 09-17-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The largest computer monitors you typically see are 30 inches, are you looking at TV's that small?
Heck no. At least a 65". Probably a Sony LED as it seems to have the lowest input lag (<25ms). However, viewing angles of the LED are a concern since it will also be to watch movies on and there are not a lot of prime, direct view seats in its location.

Like I said, games just seemed more vibrant and detailed on my buddy's monitor (don't know model or size) than my current 50" Sony DLP.

Thanks for the replies all!
Old 09-17-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
TV /thread
Yep.
Old 09-17-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I play on my PC Monitor. It's 27" and I can sit much closer than I would to my TV.

It also keeps my TV free as you know, a TV.

But at the same time I have HDMI splitter/switch, so I can basically use whatever input I have on either screen.
Old 09-17-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Heck no. At least a 65". Probably a Sony LED as it seems to have the lowest input lag (<25ms). However, viewing angles of the LED are a concern since it will also be to watch movies on and there are not a lot of prime, direct view seats in its location.

Like I said, games just seemed more vibrant and detailed on my buddy's monitor (don't know model or size) than my current 50" Sony DLP.

Thanks for the replies all!
No offense but no shit, a LCD/LED TV is almost always going to look better than Rear Projection, based on brightness levels alone. DLP TVs are nice (I have a DLP projector in my living room, the benefit of that being it's 106") but a Plasma/LED/LCD almost always destroy DLP when you compare them. The only exception being DLP vs LCD/LCoS projection but that's another subject altogether.

DLP exists so you can get a big screen for a reasonable price, but now that LCD/LEDs are reasonable at 46" - 65" they've sort of worn out their need for most of us (and are starting to go away) Though my friend did buy an 82" not too long ago.
Old 09-17-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
No offense but no shit, a LCD/LED TV is almost always going to look better than Rear Projection, based on brightness levels alone. DLP TVs are nice (I have a DLP projector in my living room, the benefit of that being it's 106") but a Plasma/LED/LCD almost always destroy DLP when you compare them. The only exception being DLP vs LCD/LCoS projection but that's another subject altogether.

DLP exists so you can get a big screen for a reasonable price, but now that LCD/LEDs are reasonable at 46" - 65" they've sort of worn out their need for most of us (and are starting to go away) Though my friend did buy an 82" not too long ago.
No offense taken. I didn't realize that. I just assumed all 1080p sets were pretty much the same except for some minor differences. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm getting more reaction out of this thread than the help thread I posted in the hardware forum here.

So, let me ask you guys.

Criteria:
Budget = $2,000-2,500
Seating distance = Between 8-10 feet.
Size/placement limitations = 60-65".
Viewing angle = no extreme side viewing however some spots are around 30 degrees of center.
Lightning = basment man cave with recessed cans and wall sconces. usually play with the sconces on very low dim.
Primary use = gaming (ps4), movies (bluray, dvd)

Plasma or LED?

I like these so far,

Sony LED 65" X950B
Sony LED 60" W950B
Samsung Plasma 60" F8500

Thanks
Old 09-17-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

You won't find a plasma these days so check out either Samsung or Panny LED's. I have one of each and you won't be disappointed. I picked up a 50" Samsung 4k for $1900 and it's gorgeous.
Old 09-17-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It is very bad time now to be buying an expensive TV, unless you want plasma. In that case I say buy one while you still can because Plasma is on borrowed time .

There is a huge transition period we are going through this year. OLED is finally available but with the usual new tech hiccups, 1080p v.s. 4K sets, lack of actual good 4K content, undecided color standards for the new Ultra HD players/discs which may impact current 4K TV sets, curved v.s flat screens.

In terms of gaming: console gaming I do on my 42 inch LG 1080p LED. PC gaming on a 28 inch 1440p monitor. I have no preference towards one or the other. The resolution bump is nice with PC games though.