Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Chair (Starz) - filmmaking competition from E.P. of Project Greenlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 05:42 PM

Received 4,609 Likes on 3,125 Posts
The Chair (Starz) - filmmaking competition from E.P. of Project Greenlight

Starz announced today its first original unscripted series, "The Chair," created by Chris Moore, the Executive Producer of Oscar(R)-winning Good Will Hunting and Emmy(R)-nominated "Project Greenlight." "The Chair" is a competition documentary series that follows two directors through the process of bringing their first feature to the screen. The up-and-coming directors, who have unique backgrounds and skill sets, will be provided with an identical screenplay which they must craft as their own film. "The Chair" will document the creation, marketing and theatrical release of both adaptations, which will also air on STARZ. Both directors will be given the same budget, and both versions will use locations in the same city. Through multiplatform voting, the audience will determine which director will be awarded $250,000.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Chris Moore as Mentor
· Corey Moosa as Mentor
· Josh Shader as Mentor
· Neal Dodson as Mentor
· Sean Akers as Mentor
· Zachary Quinto as Mentor

CREW INFORMATION:
· Anthony B. Sacco as EP
· Chris Moore as EP
· Zachary Quinto as EP
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cE5bXVIVYGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10 episode first season. Premieres 9/6/14 at 11pm.
Old 09-06-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,644 Posts
Re: The Chair (Starz) - filmmaking competition from E.P. of Project Greenlight

I have the DVR set to record. This sounds really interesting having the same script directed and produced 2 different ways for this competition.

If you subscribe to Starz and your provider allows you to use Starz Play, episodes 1-5 are posted FYI.
Old 09-06-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious, will Starz air the final product of both contestants before the finale? (i assume this was taped months ago & both films are either done or are in editing
Old 09-06-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I'm curious, will Starz air the final product of both contestants before the finale? (i assume this was taped months ago & both films are either done or are in editing
I believe I read that both will get theatrical (I assume really limited) releases as well and eventually getting played on Starz.

Just watched the first episode - I have no idea who this will play with regular audiences, but I was riveted. It's so in the weeds, nuts and bolts filmmaking stuff, which is what I am interested in.

I want to binge on the next four episodes available, but then I have to wait 4 weeks to see any new episodes, so I'll try and be patient.
Old 09-06-14, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

notice some of the rules are
has to be 85 minutes
directors get final cut
they have to stick to the script and Moore only has a say if they 'fuck with the money'
and
it has to be R rated or less
Old 09-07-14, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,644 Posts

I loved it too. Really riveting stuff about the nuts and bolts of Independent filmmaking plus all the bullshit involved. I can't see this having wide appeal since it's about the business and creative side of movie making. Chris Moore seems like a good guy to oversee this project since he did Project Greenlight.

I know not many people here subscribe to Starz, but for those who do and are movie nuts, this is something you should definitely try to catch.

I think Anna seems to have a pretty good head on her shoulders heading into this project. Shane seems a little more arrogant considering he's a YouTube Star and also cast himself. I enjoyed hearing the writer's thoughts about Shane re-writes/notes. He did seem kind of annoyed. I also liked that they were pretty frank with their dialogue. Quite a few F bombs were dropped.

They set some good rules here. This is what that piece of crap FOX movie making competition from a few years ago On the Lot should have been.

Episodes 2-5 I noticed are available on demand. But I'm going to pace myself either this. No rush to finish it.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-07-14 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-07-14, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the girl seems cool, the guy seems like your typical "look at me!" Youtube douche. And anyone who has that little understanding of how writing credits work probably shouldn't be trying to "write" a movie.

Cool show though... look forward to the rest.
Old 09-07-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was really riveted by this too. (True confession: I was a huge Project Greenlight fan and even road-tripped to Cleveland so I could see The Battle of Shaker Heights in a theatre.)

I think Anna is really interesting and I am more intrigued to see how her film turns out. I am having a hard time taking Shane's movie seriously since he is insisting on casting himself as the lead. He's too old to be a college freshman for one, and it just seems a bit vain on his part. He could have given himself a smaller role that would have been more believable.

I am going to hold off on watching these on demand so I can keep watching every week.
Old 09-07-14, 08:45 PM

Really enjoyed this. I like how it's presented more as a documentary than an actual competition. Can't wait to see more.

Here are the trailers for the two films:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AgSy2Hqel_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ePvLmGiDMkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-07-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

This looms really interesting based on the trailer. I'd like to watch at some popping, but doubtful nEtflix or Amazon will get it. I guess you'll be spoiled regardless of which director you watch first.
Old 10-22-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Anybody watching?

This has been a pretty good behind the scenes filmmaking step by step.

Thinking Shane's version might be the funnier, but Anna's could be ok. Seems like the screenwriter wants nothing to do with Anna's version.

Hope they continue and do another version next year.

Really a lot like Project Greenlight.
Old 11-09-14, 07:18 PM

I can't believe that turd one. It was shit. Neither were really all that great.... but Not Cool was just awful.
Old 11-09-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was disappointed Shane won, but not surprised due to his fan base.

He came really bad during this series, I thought. He seemed very immature and unwilling to take criticism. I can't see him making it in Hollywood with his entitled attitude.

I thought Anna's movie was obviously better made, although it was dull. Shane's movie was just vile.
Old 11-10-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I really enjoyed this.

I actually couldn't watch either movie, tried them both but they were both crappy.

I kinda liked Shane, I don't know why, but have never seen one second of his you tube stuff.

Maybe they need better material, that's why these movies didn't do well, dullsville usa.

I hope they do another one of these.