Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 Blu-ray Limited Edition Gift Set - Nov 4th

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-05-14, 06:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Today's overkill overpriced set announcement. Love the show, but would never get this. And as usual, those of us who bought the individual seasons are getting shafted on some really good extras.

BBC Home Entertainment is releasing a 14-disc Blu-ray/DVD Limited Edition Gift Set of Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3. The popular series stars Emmy-winners Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, and arrives with all new bonus materials, collectible busts of Holmes and Watson, and two art cards on November 4th.

On the heels of an incredible night at the Emmy's, with the finale of Sherlock's third season, "His Last Vow," earning seven Primetime Emmy Award wins, including Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie for Benedict Cumberbatch, Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie for Martin Freeman, and Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special for Steven Moffat.

Sherlock Holmes was always a modern man in an old world. Now he's back as he should be: edgy, difficult and dangerous, as Benedict Cumberbatch shows him in a new, contemporary light. Sherlock can tell a software designer by his tie and an airline pilot by his thumb. He has a uniquely analytical brain unlike anyone else in the world – a man who staves off boredom by solving crimes. When a chance encounter brings soldier John Watson (Freeman) into Sherlock's life, it's apparent the two men couldn't be more different, but Sherlock's intellect coupled with John's pragmatism soon forge an unbreakable alliance.

Across three thrilling, scary, action-packed and highly-entertaining seasons, Sherlock and John navigate a maze of cryptic clues and lethal killers to get at the truth. With sparkling scripts and unforgettable performances, this is a contemporary take on the classic Arthur Conan Doyle stories for a new generation.

The 14-disc set includes every episode from all three seasons on both Blu-ray and DVD formats, along with the original bonus features released with each season. Additionally, the set features all new commentaries, never-before-seen outtakes, a deleted scene, and exclusive collectibles including limited edition art cards and busts of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson.

All new bonus content includes:
  • Never-before-seen Outtakes from Seasons Two and Three
  • All New Season Three Audio Commentary
  • Exclusive Deleted Scene from Season Three
  • BBC Archive Interviews with Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Steven Moffat and Sue Vertue from the time of the initial Season One premiere
  • Unlocking Sherlock: A 60-minute behind-the-scenes program for Season Three
  • Sherlock Uncovered: Three 25-minute behind-the-scenes featurettes, one for each episode of Season Three

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14924

Spoiler:

Last edited by E Unit; 09-05-14 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 Blu-ray Limited Edition Gift Set - Nov 4th

I've meant to check this series out but haven't yet. The set looks pretty cool and those busts aren't bad but I wouldn't get this most likely unless I become a huge fan of the series after watching it.
Old 09-05-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 Blu-ray Limited Edition Gift Set - Nov 4th

Wow, cool set. I'll pass.
Old 09-05-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has the series ended?
Old 09-05-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Has the series ended?
Nope. Season 4 is coming, as well as a one-off special.
Old 09-05-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I thought I heard something about series three being the last since Cumberbatch is becoming a slightly bigger name. Clearly that's not correct or plans changed though.
Old 09-05-14, 08:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I thought I read somewhere both Cumberbatch and Martin have both agreed to a 4th and 5th series with a Christmas special in between. At any rate, the Sherlock series isn't anywhere near the end. I'll hold out and see if they release a box set then.
Old 09-05-14, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I'll pass but my niece will go nuts for this.

Each season is only a handful of long episodes (TV movies, basically) so I imagine the stars will be able to fit it into their schedules.
Old 09-08-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I thought I read somewhere both Cumberbatch and Martin have both agreed to a 4th and 5th series with a Christmas special in between. At any rate, the Sherlock series isn't anywhere near the end. I'll hold out and see if they release a box set then.
It's only been renewed for a 4th series, with the Special airing first. The special episode may not be a "Christmas Special," but may air at some other point in the year.

Basically, the Special will start filming Jan 2015, to air later that year. Series 4 will also be filmed later in the year 2015, so it's not clear if Series 4 will air in 2015 or 2016.

Moffat has claimed they've plotted out both Series 4 and 5, but Series 5 has not been officially ordered.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...-steven-moffat
Old 09-08-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Also, regarding some of the extras on this set, "Unlocking Sherlock" is available on Netflix Instant as a separate title, while the three "Sherlock Uncovered" featurettes are also on Netflix Instant, tacked on to the end of Season Three of the show.
Old 09-08-14, 03:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
Nope. Season 4 is coming, as well as a one-off special.
And that's why I completely don't understand why this set exists. I mean, other than $$$, of course.

Pass.