Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

'Supergirl' Ordered to Series at CBS from Greg Berlanti (Producer of Arrow & Flash)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Supergirl' Ordered to Series at CBS from Greg Berlanti (Producer of Arrow & Flash)

Old 09-04-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://deadline.com/2014/09/supergir...comics-829364/

On the heels of the success of Arrow and the strong buzz for its upcoming offshoot The Flash — both co-created and executive produced by Greg Berlanti — the top producer is looking to transition another popular DC superhero character to the small screen. I’ve learned that Berlanti has teamed with Ali Adler, who worked on his ABC series No Ordinary Family, for a TV series based on Supergirl. Warner Bros. TV, which is behind all DC TV series, will produce with Berlanti’s studio-based Berlanti Prods.

I hear the project, which is still in development, will be a new interpretation of the Supergirl character and her story. Adler will write the script and will executive produce with Berlanti Prods.’ Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. DC’s Geoff Johns, who has been involved in both Arrow and The Flash, is also expected to be part of the project but it is unclear at this time what his role will be. The Supergirl show doesn’t have a name yet. I hear the producers are considering several options that need to be cleared, including Super and Girl. The project is expected to be taken out in a couple of weeks and pitched to the major networks the way WBTV and DC did with their high profile Batman prequel Gotham, which landed at Fox with a big commitment. The Supergirl series had been in the works at WBTV for some time with Berlanti and Adler. Contrary to a report that was picked up by a number of outlets, Michael Green has had no involvement in the project.

The Supergirl character was created by writer Otto Binder and designed by artist Al Plastino in 1959. There had been several characters that had assumed the caped girl persona, most notably Superman’s cousin, Kara Zor-El, who shares his super powers and vulnerability to Kryptonite. There has been a push to get more female superhero characters in comic books and on the big and small screens. Marvel has a Jessica Jones series in pre-production at Netflix.

There will be four DC/WBTV series on the air this coming season, Gotham on Fox, the CW’s Arrow and The Flash on the CW and Constantine on NBC. In addition to Arrow and The Flash, Berlanti has new NBC crime dramedy The Mysteries Of Laura, and his company just sold conspiracy thriller Blindspot to NBC. Berlanti and Adler are repped by WME.

One of the networks is definitely going to pick this up at least as a Pilot for consideration. Berlanti is on fire right now as a Producer.

I think FOX and The CW are the top candidates this would work for.
Old 09-04-14, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: Greg Berlanti (Producer of Arrow & Flash) developing Supergirl TV series

DC's television division seems pretty good lately. Arrow is good from what I've seen and The Flash looks even better. Gotham is the only one that I think could be good or really bad. I'd probably check out a series based on Supergirl if its done well.
Old 09-04-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Hopefully it won't be another SMALLVILLE where she never flies or wears the outfit. Not that I didn't like SMALLVILLE (I liked it quite a lot), I'd just like to see something different this time.
Old 09-04-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hopefully it won't be another SMALLVILLE where she never flies or wears the outfit. Not that I didn't like SMALLVILLE (I liked it quite a lot), I'd just like to see something different this time.
Yeah I hated that about Smallville too. Really looking back on it that show wasn't that great in my opinion.
Old 09-04-14, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I don't even see how they could do a non-costumed Supergirl... in all of her various incarnations, she was Supergirl first. Even the Matrix/Linda Danvers era wouldn't work without her dressing up as Supergirl. Unless they radically changed the concept or something.

They should really do Batgirl, though... maybe if the new direction in the comic series really takes off or something.
Old 09-04-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to see a Supergirl series but if it's not on the CW I have a hard time seeing it go fully to series.
Old 09-04-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

But Vandervoort is doing another series already.

I thought she was able to fly in Smallville, but Clark hadn't learned that ability yet, wasn't she the one trying to teach him?
Old 09-04-14, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
They should really do Batgirl, though... maybe if the new direction in the comic series really takes off or something.
A Cassandra Cain Batgirl series would be awesome. Heck, they could spin it out of Arrow like they did with Flash. Introduce Lady Shiva and her daughter Cass in Arrow, and then have Cass become Batgirl.

Barbara, to me at least, was always best as Oracle. I never liked her as Batgirl. Supposedly Arrow's third season will have some kind of "origin" episode for Felicity. I read that episode was going to be called Oracle, but they changed it.
Old 09-04-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Okay, they need to cancel Bitten immediately and wait for Laura Vandervoort to become available.

I have to believe that the CW is salivating over this potential series. It is going there unless one of the other non-ABC networks outbids them. If I were running NBC, this is the kind of series you need to make a splash and change your demographic focus.

Casting Supergirl will make or break this show.
Old 09-04-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Okay, they need to cancel Bitten immediately and wait for Laura Vandervoort to become available.

I have to believe that the CW is salivating over this potential series. It is going there unless one of the other non-ABC networks outbids them. If I were running NBC, this is the kind of series you need to make a splash and change your demographic focus.

Casting Supergirl will make or break this show.
Yup, that will be it.
Old 09-04-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Supergirl did fly on Smallville. They made some jokes about her flying while Clark was still grounded.
Old 09-04-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

She flew first because girls mature faster than boys.
Old 09-04-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I read CW already passed. This will probably end up like Wonder Woman. A questionable pilot (with a questionable choice for the lead) that never goes anywhere.

I loved Vandervoort on Smallville but lets be honest here, she's not a very good actress. She worked on Smallville because of the nature of the cast. They were all on the same level.
Old 09-04-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe they should work her into a few episodes of Arrow or Flash first to see how audiences react to her.
Old 09-05-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always thought Amber Heard would make a perfect Supergirl, though I imagine it would be tough for a network to get her on a television show unless they threw serious money at her.
Old 09-05-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Looking forward to the net rage when a different actress is cast in the film universe.
Old 09-05-14, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Looking forward to the net rage when a different actress is cast in the film universe.
Supergirl isn't an iconic Justice League member, so I doubt she will ever be in the movies. The bigger issue is what happens to Flash since he is an iconic member, and DC has already said the Arrow/Flash TV series aren't connected to the movie universe.
Old 09-05-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Supergirl is one of my favorite characters, so I will be looking forward to this. Hopefully Fox doesn't get it and fuck it up by showing the episodes out of order and shit.
Old 09-05-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
In all honesty though if DC were smart they would use these shows as launching points for the eventual Justice League film. Introduce casual fans to these lesser known characters and build them up. Of course that makes too much sense though and I'm sure DC's strategy of just throwing a bunch of characters people aren't that familiar with into a film will work out great because we all know the Justice League film is really going to end up being Batman and Superman guest starring the Justice League.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-05-14 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
we all know the Justice League film is really going to end up being Batman and Superman guest starring the Justice League.
It worked for the X-Men movies with their "Wolverine guest-starring everyone else" mentality.
Old 09-05-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I miss Everwood.
Old 09-05-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
It worked for the X-Men movies with their "Wolverine guest-starring everyone else" mentality.
Sort of but not totally if you ask me. The X-Men films aren't bad but could be better. The best ones really are the last two (First Class and Days of Future Past). The original trilogy was hit and miss I thought.
Old 09-05-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not feeling this. There was never anything special about any version of Supergirl in the comics. I'd rather see them do an adaptation of the new Grayson comic and have flashbacks of his Robin/Nightwing years.
Old 09-05-14, 04:14 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I miss Everwood.
Haha. Me too. Who would've thought Bright would be the huge star he is now. And that both he and Amy would be in the MCU!
Old 09-05-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
I'm not feeling this. There was never anything special about any version of Supergirl in the comics. I'd rather see them do an adaptation of the new Grayson comic and have flashbacks of his Robin/Nightwing years.
I don't mind Supergirl but I can see how she is a questionable choice to get her own series. Like someone mentioned a Batgirl series would make more sense.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.