Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wire - remastered in HD (possible Blu ray release?)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Wire - remastered in HD (possible Blu ray release?)

Old 09-01-14, 08:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
The Wire - remastered in HD (June 2, 2015)

Since it's HBO, I'll consider this as a sign of an eventual blu ray release. Officially it's a rumor as of now, but starting September 4th, it's apparently going to be broadcast in HD. We'll find out in 3 days.

http://hbowatch.com/the-wire-being-r...-in-hd-by-hbo/

The Wire Being Remastered, Rebroadcast in HD
By Jacob Klein on Sep 1, 2014 to HBO Classics

IMPORTANT: We’re classifying this as a rumor for now since HBO has not made this official and the HBO Schedule does not reflect the video’s claims. We’ll check in with HBO after the holiday weekend to confirm this.

Anyone else seeing the same? Please comment with your first-hand experiences.
We haven’t had news to report on HBO’s The Wire in a long, long time but this tidbit caught our ear. HBO will be rebroadcasting one of its iconic series: The Wire in never-before-broadcast HD glory! The marathon will begin weeknights at 8PM starting on September 4th. You’ll find the episodes on HBO Signature, a channel most, if not all HBO subscribers should have access to.
Here’s the teaser that’s been reportedly airing across HBO’s properties this weekend:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VpC3JtED-Po" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone else seeing the same? Please comment with your first-hand experiences.
We haven’t had news to report on HBO’s The Wire in a long, long time but this tidbit caught our ear. HBO will be rebroadcasting one of its iconic series: The Wire in never-before-broadcast HD glory! The marathon will begin weeknights at 8PM starting on September 4th. You’ll find the episodes on HBO Signature, a channel most, if not all HBO subscribers should have access to.
Here’s the teaser that’s been reportedly airing across HBO’s properties this weekend:

Last edited by E Unit; 03-05-15 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Wire - remastered in HD (possible Blu ray release?)

I thought HD masters have been readily available for years now. It aired on DirecTV's Audience Channel awhile back, although I'm not sure if that was just an up-convert or a true HD remaster job.
Old 09-01-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

If they haven't put out a complete Sopranos series Blu Ray release, why would you think they'd do that for The Wire?

BTW : If you're going to include The Wire accolades in your promo, why not include this lofty one?
Old 09-01-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
If they haven't put out a complete Sopranos series Blu Ray release, why would you think they'd do that for The Wire?
Because they will be.

http://www.amazon.com/Sopranos-Compl...omplete+series
Old 09-01-14, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be interesting because the Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in 4 x 3 standard definition. Also according to this article when the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. I'm excited just to see it re-airing but really anxious to see what it looks like with this supposed remastered version coming out.

http://library.creativecow.net/artic...o_the_wire.php
Old 09-01-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I"m very skeptical about the reframing, but also excited at the prospect of what is arguably the best show I've ever seen getting released in HD. Have they gone back TNG-style and remastered all of the dallies from scratch? I'm surprised such a niche show could justify the expense.
Old 09-01-14, 08:51 PM
Banned by request

It it could be that HBO values their product. They've been a lot better than most studios about preserving their past shows. So the cost may very well be justified to them, which benefits us.
Old 09-01-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Well there you go. It's long overdue. I hope Best Buy does their annual half-off HBO DVD/Blu sale after Christmas again this year. I might just go ahead and pick that set up. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 09-02-14, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no refraining please, would prefer it in 4:3. Also, I thought it was shot on 16mm not SD?
Old 09-02-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it was shot on Super 35, from what I understand, back in the good old celluloid days, 3-perf was often used to shoot TV for financial reasons, they they just exposed the center for 1.33. That said, it sounds like everyone composed this for 1.33 and NOT 1.78, so if it gets releases that way, which I hope it won't but it probably will, there'll probably be lots of dead space on the sides of the frame. Either way, if it was shot on film, it could be mastered for HD, they'd just have to go back and scan the film proper. My assumption would be that since it was done in SD, the actual editing was done on videotape.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-02-14 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 08:52 AM
Banned by request

Found this article from 2007. Based on these comments, they may retain the 4x3 aspect ratio, unless they have changed their minds on the "realistic" look. Some interesting tidbits, including the following:

"The Wire is shot entirely with Panavision cameras. David Insley let us know that, "These later episodes of the show are shot Super 35, 3-perf, and that saves a lot of money because that means we're shooting about three quarters of the film we used to. But we're only using the 4 x 3 part, so we're losing the edges of the 16x 9, but it's less than we were using when it was 4-perf, so (the image is) somewhere between a Super 16 image and a standard 35 (mm) image."

Some dialog looping (ADR) is done in Baltimore, but more often in New York. Foley and final audio mix are also done in New York.
"

"And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons.
"

Old 09-02-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will be 16x9. Someone showed me a picture of it.
Old 09-02-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember promos for the show around season 4 being in 16x9 (that would air before say Sopranos or Deadwood) but obvs when they aired it was in 4x3
Old 09-02-14, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Found this article from 2007. Based on these comments, they may retain the 4x3 aspect ratio, unless they have changed their minds on the "realistic" look. Some interesting tidbits, including the following:

"The Wire is shot entirely with Panavision cameras. David Insley let us know that, "These later episodes of the show are shot Super 35, 3-perf, and that saves a lot of money because that means we're shooting about three quarters of the film we used to. But we're only using the 4 x 3 part, so we're losing the edges of the 16x 9, but it's less than we were using when it was 4-perf, so (the image is) somewhere between a Super 16 image and a standard 35 (mm) image."

Some dialog looping (ADR) is done in Baltimore, but more often in New York. Foley and final audio mix are also done in New York.
"

"And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons.
"

Yeah I posted a link to this article yesterday.
Old 09-02-14, 01:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

If there is a Blu-ray release on the way, I'll only upgrade if they still give the option to keep the OAR. Based on the above, I know they "protected" it for 16x9, but that's not how I want to watch it, as that's not how it was intended to be seen.

I should probably finish Seasons 4 and 5 soon anyway...
Old 09-04-14, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
If there is a Blu-ray release on the way, I'll only upgrade if they still give the option to keep the OAR. Based on the above, I know they "protected" it for 16x9, but that's not how I want to watch it, as that's not how it was intended to be seen.

I should probably finish Seasons 4 and 5 soon anyway...
yes you should, s4 is the best of the lot! And the last episode in s5 more than makes up for some of the flaws in that season.
Old 09-04-14, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hope they convert it to 3D and remix the soundtrack to 11.1 while they're at it.
Old 09-04-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Just thought it should be re-posted so it would sink in.
And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."
source

The creators intend it to be 4x3, so 4x3 it shall remain.
Old 09-04-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Well, the first episode airs tonight. Report back and let us know if it was cool or a mess.
Old 09-04-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

That article is 7 years old though. They could have done the work since to make a 16:9 version, with or without Simon's input.

I'd prefer it stay 4:3 for HD. I'm just saying anything is possible.
Old 09-04-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 902 Likes on 666 Posts

The DirecTV guide doesn't have this listed for tonight. Is it still planned to start tonight at 8?
Old 09-04-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Was wondering that too.
Old 09-04-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That article is 7 years old though. They could have done the work since to make a 16:9 version, with or without Simon's input.

I'd prefer it stay 4:3 for HD. I'm just saying anything is possible.
I wouldn't be surprised since to many 16:9 is the new fullscreen.

I just hope for those that are interested, that it actually works in 16:9. It was many years back, but I remember them making "From the Earth to the Moon" 16:9 and it didn't work well at all. Many episodes had parts that got cropped rather than just adding picture to the sides. Strange, but true.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-04-14 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-04-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told by someone working on it that it will be full 16x9 HD. They re-telecined from the original film for HBO GO and BD. I saw a picture as well. We'll see what it ends up being but I fully expect the above.
Old 09-04-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Just thought it should be re-posted so it would sink in.source

The creators intend it to be 4x3, so 4x3 it shall remain.
That article is ancient. It's already aired in 16:9 on DirecTV.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.