TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Greatest American Hero remake ordered at ABC

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
The Greatest American Hero remake ordered at ABC

http://deadline.com/2014/08/greatest...ot-fox-826823/

EXCLUSIVE: A Steven J. Cannell cult classic is getting a reboot at Fox. The network has given a put pilot commitment to The Greatest American Hero, a new take on the 1981 sci-fi dramedy, which is being shepherded by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, directors of the successful feature franchise based on another ’80s TV series by Cannell, 21 Jump Street. Lord and Miller will executive produce the hourlong action comedy alongside Cannell’s daughter, television director Tawnia McKiernan.

Written/exec produced by Rodney Rothman and produced by 20th TV, the new Greatest American Hero teacher Isaac’s adventures after his discovery of a superhero suit that gives him superhuman abilities. Unfortunately for Isaac, he hates wearing the suit and has to learn how to use its powers by trial and error because he quickly misplaces the suit’s instructions. He also has to deal with a government handler who has very different objectives than him and struggles as to whether he should use his newfound gifts to help others or just himself. The original series, created by TV legend Cannell and starring William Katt and Robert Culp, aired for three seasons on ABC. Here is a montage to the show’s theme song, “Believe It Or Not,” which hit No. 2 on the Billboard 100 in 1981

The Lego Movie writers-directors Lord and Miller recruited Rothman for Greatest American Hero after working with him on 22 Jump Street, the duo’s sequel to 21 Jump Street. Rothman co-wrote the Lord- and Miller-directed sequel, which has grossed more than $300 million at the worldwide box office so far. Lord and Miller executive produce Greatest American Hero through their Lord Miller shingle, which has an overall deal at 20th TV. Lord Miller’s President of Television, Seth Cohen, also will executive produce.

This is the second sale and second put pilot commitment this season for Lord Miller as the company recently sold an untitled comedy project from The Interview screenwriter Dan Sterling to CBS. At Fox, they also have the much buzzed about straight-to-series comedy Last Man On Earth. Lord and Miller are repped by UTA and Matthew Johnson; Rothman is repped by UTA, 3 Arts and Ziffren; McKiernan; Tawnia is repped by APA and Andrea Simon.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0745247/#writer

Rodney Rothman who is the writer for this remake wrote 22 Jump Street and Grudge Match & was a writer on The Late Show with David Letterman.
Old 08-30-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Greatest American Hero -- Pilot ordered at FOX -- From Phil Lord & Chris Mill

I'll give this a shot when it comes on. Loved the original series.
Old 08-30-14, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: The Greatest American Hero -- Pilot ordered at FOX -- From Phil Lord & Chris Mill

I'm not sure the vibe of the original or its hit theme song can be duplicated in today's entertainment world.

The Greatest American Hero got me into liking superheroes as much as any comic book I read.
Old 08-30-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

No Joey Scarbury theme song, no sale!
Old 08-30-14, 01:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Believe it or not, George isn't at home.
Old 08-30-14, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOVED the show, and the theme song still has life on my ipod. I will definitely try this out, as long as they try for the charm of the original.
Old 08-30-14, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Believe it or not, George isn't at home.
Old 08-30-14, 10:53 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Weird to think this show only lasted 40 odd episodes. I'd be down to give it a shot. I've enjoyed the few episodes I've randomly seen and obviously being George's voicemail theme song helped.
Old 08-30-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If one is willing to drop nearly a grand, a complete Blu-ray set of the original series was issued in Japan.
Old 08-30-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

I haven't seen the Jump St. movies. I just hope these guys are fans and don't see it as a big joke or want to do something dark. It'll be tough to recapture the chemistry Katt, Culp and Selleca had on the original. I know Steven J. Cannell was trying for years to get a feature made.

I loved watching it as a kid, that is whenever I could find the darn thing. It was nice to catch up with the show years later. The writing wasn't always as strong as the early episodes but the chemistry of the leads more than makes up for it. The show was fun but delivered solid action in a way only 80's shows could.
Old 08-30-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

So now for the million dollar question: Who would you cast?
Old 08-30-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

William Katt & Connie Seleca for cameo's in the pilot episodes for sure.
Old 08-30-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
It won't happen now since he's become a major theatrical actor, but Jesse Eisenberg would have been perfect in the main role.

Old 08-31-14, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Old 09-01-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At Nerd HQ at Comic-con this year, an audience member asked Nathan Fillion, "If you could play any role ever, what would you play?" Without hesitation, he said "The Greatest American Hero."

I guess if Castle doesn't survive his car crash, he'd be willing, but I'm thinking since he's the star of the show that is titled after his character that he won't be available.
Old 09-01-14, 12:23 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Roybq
At Nerd HQ at Comic-con this year, an audience member asked Nathan Fillion, "If you could play any role ever, what would you play?" Without hesitation, he said "The Greatest American Hero."

I guess if Castle doesn't survive his car crash, he'd be willing, but I'm thinking since he's the star of the show that is titled after his character that he won't be available.
Castle isn't going to die.
Old 09-01-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SteelWill
She was part of the celebrity leak.
Old 09-01-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Those were debunked. Not her.
Old 09-01-14, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It won't happen now since he's become a major theatrical actor, but Jesse Eisenberg would have been perfect in the main role.

Since Eisenberg is off the table they could just go for his lo-rent knock off:

Old 09-01-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VHS?
Those were debunked. Not her.
Believe that if you want, I'm sure her PR agent is happy.
Old 09-01-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't know if they're sticking with the English teacher part of the character but William Katt was believable as a smart guy devoted to teaching a bunch of troubled high school students.
Old 11-02-15, 11:53 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Greatest American Hero Remake From Famuyiwa, Lord & Miller at FOX

EXCLUSIVE: In a preemptive buy, Fox has given a pilot production commitment to Greatest American Hero, a single-came comedy inspired by Steven J. Cannell’s 1981 cult classic. It hails from Dope writer-director Rick Famuyiwa, Phil Lord & Chris Miller– the directing duo behind the successful feature franchise based on another ’80s TV series by Cannell, 21 Jump Street — and Cannell’s daughter, television director Tawnia McKiernan. 20th Century Fox TV, where Lord and Miller are under an overall deal, is the studio.

Written and to be directed by Famuyiwa, Greatest American Hero is the story of what happens when great power is not met with great responsibility. An ordinary man, completely content with being average, wakes up with a superpower suit he never asked for and has to deal with the complications it brings his life.

Miller, Lord and McKiernan executive produce with Lord Miller’s President of Television, Seth Cohen. Fox and 20th TV are bullish on the title with a second stab at rebooting it, hiring a casting director to start working on finding the lead.

Lord and Miller also were behind last year’s Fox/20th TV Greatest American Hero remake with a different writer, Rodney Rothman, which had a put pilot commitment.

The original sci-fi dramedy series, created by TV legend Cannell and starring William Katt and Robert Culp, aired for three seasons on ABC. Here is a montage to the show’s theme song, “Believe It Or Not,” which hit No. 2 on the Billboard 100 in 1981:

Famuyiwa’s dramedy feature Dope was a breakout at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. He recently directed Confirmation, HBO Films’ upcoming movie starring Scandal leading lady Kerry Washington as Anita Hill. He is repped by WME, Oasis Media Group and Del Shaw.

For The Last Man on Earth executive producers Lord and Miller, Greatest American Hero joins In Time, a time-travel comedy written by Julius Sharpe, which has a put pilot commitment at Fox. Additionally, they recently optioned the rights to podcast phenomenon Serial to develop as a TV series through 20th TV’s cable division Fox 21 TV Studios. They also have animated pilot Son Of Zorn starring Jason Sudeikis in contention for a series pickup at Fox.

Lord and Miller, who have 3 movie franchises on their resume, The Lego Movie, 21 Jump Street and Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, are directing the Han Solo Star Wars movie, are repped by UTA and Matthew Johnson.

Mckiernan is repped by APA and Andrea Simon Entertainment.
http://deadline.com/2015/11/greatest...nt-1201599814/
Old 11-02-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Tricky show to get the tone right. If ANY show ever cannot be "dark" it is the Greatest American Hero. It cannot also be pure comedy. It needs to be light and fun.
Old 11-02-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

It is on FOX so I give it two episodes before they announce they are just going to air the 9 episodes that they already have in the can and not renew it.
Old 11-02-15, 01:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The original show occasionally got dark, like that episode where Ralph accidentally kills a child.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.