Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do people know when they are watching a rubbish movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Inspired by Original Desmond's interesting discussion here.

Taste is subjective, obviously, but do you realize it when you like or even love a movie that is widely regarded as a horrendous front to humanity? And I don't mean in a guilty-pleasure kind of way. You really like a movie that everyone else sees as a steaming pile of shit and you proudly defend your horrible taste.
Old 08-28-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Do people know when they are watching a rubbish movie?

I don't know if this is what you mean, but there are certain kinds of movies that many of us here love and enjoy that are anathema to "serious moviegoers." I mean, I can sit through SON OF GODZILLA and THE GREEN SLIME till Doomsday and never get tired of them, while the average middlebrow moviegoer who dutifully sees whatever critic-approved Oscar bait is tossed to them like bones at Christmastime will make a gagging gesture if a frame from any Godzilla movie was flashed at them unsuspectingly.

My question would be: Do middlebrow moviegoers know they're being pandered to by films like DRIVING MISS DAISY, AMERICAN BEAUTY, CRASH and SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE?
Old 08-28-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
My question would be: Do middlebrow moviegoers know they're being pandered to by films like DRIVING MISS DAISY, AMERICAN BEAUTY, CRASH and SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE?
You forgot your favorite : A Beautiful Mind.
Old 08-28-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 292 Likes on 184 Posts

There are probably dozens of previous "what are your guilty pleasures" threads. This new one was unnecessary.
Old 08-28-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
There are probably dozens of previous "what are your guilty pleasures" threads. This new one was unnecessary.
I specifically addressed that in the OP. I'm not talking about guilty pleasures. I'm talking about actual shit.
Old 08-28-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Crappy movies like Revenge of the Killer Tomatoes and the Toxic Avenger, that used to be on USA Up All Night B movies you know was going to be rubbish. But still great.
Old 08-28-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I sort of doubt the people involved in the making of such films ever had any delusions about what they were making. But you never know. But there is a certain fondness some have for bad movies, whether to laugh at them or with them.
Old 08-28-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 992 Likes on 700 Posts

I don't know if this is what you mean, but there are certain kinds of movies that many of us here love and enjoy that are anathema to "serious moviegoers." I mean, I can sit through SON OF GODZILLA and THE GREEN SLIME till Doomsday and never get tired of them, while the average middlebrow moviegoer who dutifully sees whatever critic-approved Oscar bait is tossed to them like bones at Christmastime will make a gagging gesture if a frame from any Godzilla movie was flashed at them unsuspectingly.

Has anyone else noticed that Ash seems to be getting a lot crankier lately?
Old 08-28-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The answer to your question, of course, is sometimes.
Old 08-28-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 778 Likes on 377 Posts

Judging by the box office receipts for the Transformers series, no they do not.
Old 08-28-14, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

When I was watching Hansel And Gretel: Witch Hunters there were several times where I expected Gemma Arterton to look directly into the camera and wink.
Old 08-28-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's become fairly standard for most movie heroes these days, they're almost all a step away from winking at the camera.
Old 08-29-14, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Has anyone else noticed that Ash seems to be getting a lot crankier lately?
I haven't. I thought I was at my normal level of crankiness.
Old 08-29-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 992 Likes on 700 Posts

I haven't. I thought I was at my normal level of crankiness.
I don't know, in the last few days you've taken some pretty aggressive shots at Punisher: War Zone fans, Nickdawgy's houseguest, mabuse (for liking Postman or something), and now "middlebrow" film goers. Come on man, you're supposed to be like DVDTalk's kindly uncle who regales us with stories of Hollywood yesteryear!

p.s. Please don't take any of the above too seriously. I'm just having some fun with you.
Old 08-29-14, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
That's become fairly standard for most movie heroes these days, they're almost all a step away from winking at the camera.
I blame that bastard Godard.
Old 08-29-14, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I blame that bastard Godard.
I hate that lousey fuck and his stupid rockets.
Old 08-29-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I don't know, in the last few days you've taken some pretty aggressive shots at Punisher: War Zone fans, Nickdawgy's houseguest, mabuse (for liking Postman or something), and now "middlebrow" film goers. Come on man, you're supposed to be like DVDTalk's kindly uncle who regales us with stories of Hollywood yesteryear!

p.s. Please don't take any of the above too seriously. I'm just having some fun with you.
Hey, get it right--I'm a huge fan of PUNISHER WAR ZONE!

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-31-14 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

I enjoy a movie for various reasons. If someone wants to call it rubbish, I'm sure they have a better view from their high horse they stand upon.
Old 08-29-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I enjoy a movie for various reasons. If someone wants to call it rubbish, I'm sure they have a better view from their high horse they stand upon.
pretty much.
Old 08-29-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your thread title and OP seem to be asking two different questions. My answer to the thread title is yes, almost always; my answer to the OP is no, almost never.
Old 08-29-14, 02:15 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For audiences in general in regards to blindness to good vs bad, I think it's really noticeable in audience-friendly yet critically slammed dramas. A good example of this is John Q. Now, I hated this movie when I saw it and critics largely agreed (23% on Rotten Tomatoes). Yet friends of mine seemed to think it was so great and it was going to win Oscars and what not. There's a general misconception that all 'serious' sappy dramas are automatically beloved by critics. Like that every biopic is a shoo-in for awards just because it's a biopic, for example.

These same people are always shocked when an audience-pleasing popcorn movie like Guardians of the Galaxy gets good reviews because they're under the other false assumption that critics automatically hate these kinds of movies. They see Transformers 2 get bad reviews and they LOVED Transformers 2 so naturally critics are just serious sourpusses who can't have fun.

As for me, I can enjoy a movie despite its faults. But the situation posed seems to be more about being blind to bad filmmaking, or at least strongly disagreeing with the assertion that the film in question is bad in first place. I'm not sure I can think of a situation where I unilaterally defended a movie generally considered awful. Now, I defended ANoES 2 in another thread -- a movie many consider to be a steaming turd -- but I'm not blind to its faults and there are certainly elements the film could have done without.
Old 08-29-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I can enjoy movies that are considered bad, but at least have some level of "earnestness" to them. Nostalgia also helps a lot. I'm aware of the flaws of Disney's The Black Hole, but it remains one of my favorite movies because of my childhood memories. Same with the original Tron (I really need to get around to watching the sequel...).

I'm also a big fan of MST3K, though I don't know how well I'd fare without a janitor and two robots to help me through the film.

My wife is one of those people that is intelligent but likes dumb films, but she has her limits. She's accused me of being a movie snob for not liking "popular" films and made me watch 2012 with her when she rented it. About halfway through I heard start mumbling things like "oh, come on...." and after it was over she gave me that look that said "yes you were right, but I'm not going to admit and we're never going to speak of this again."

I'm also a fan of the Godzilla/Gamera movies despite their flaws. As I said above, there is an earnestness to them where you can tell the filmmakers knew it wasn't really high art, but neither was it just a "cash-in" - they were trying to have a little fun and turn enough of a profit to do another one next year.
Old 08-31-14, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
Now, I defended ANoES 2 in another thread -- a movie many consider to be a steaming turd -- but I'm not blind to its faults and there are certainly elements the film could have done without.
I'm stumped.

Anyone?
Old 08-31-14, 06:49 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts

I'm stumped.

Anyone?
I was wondering the same thing...
Old 08-31-14, 06:56 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts

There are a lot of movies I like that many here consider rubbish and I don't care. If they have entertainment and rewatch value to my wife and I, then it doesn't matter to me what other people think.....although I privately question some of their high-horse bullshit sometimes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.